JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So ive been reloading for over a year now. I been trying to load 6.5 creedmoor for a ruger prescion rifle. But for some reason i cant figure out how the projectile gets secured into the caseing. Is the competive rcbs reloading dies missing a part? Or does the die set not have the seating die? Am i just over thinking it and being stupid?

From what i gather on RCBS's web page, the competition seating die does not crimp. Not sure if that is what you are asking. Otherwise it looks pretty straight forward. The seating die has a micrometer to adjust seating depth and a nice little bullet window so you don't have to guide the bullet/brass into the bottom of the die like you would with normal dies.

I have never used RCBS dies so I would have to lean on some others on this topic. Although to me it just sounds like you are not setting up your die properly. When I load 308 I don't crimp them I just run them through the seating die.

If you were loading for a semi auto then you would want to crimp.

I've been trying to load 6.5 Creedmoor for a Ruger Precision Rifle. But for some reason, I can't figure out how the projectile is secured into the casing.
Look for instructions as to how to adjust the neck tension. I'll assume you're using bushing dies. You need the correct diameter bushing to put about 0.003 inches of neck tension onto the bullet.

Do the bullets drop into the sized case? If not, THAT is what holds the bullet.
There are two dies: ones sizes and expands the case to the proper ID (This should usually be 0.001-0.002"). The die with the micrometer is the seating die.
On the die, there is a cut out where you can place the bullet on the case mouth just before seating takes place. I still see no reason for a micrometer, other than to record the setting so you return to it for that bullet for use in that rifle.
Didn't the dies come with instructions?
From RCBS Competition Die instructions:
RCBS Competition Dies are manufactured for the most demanding competitive marksmen and precision shooters. They offer features not available on standard RCBS reloading dies.
First, the Sizer Die has its expander ball in the middle of the decapping rod for extra leverage. This makes for smooth and effortless neck expansion. This die is machined to the tightest tolerances to yield maximum concentricity between the die neck and body.
The Seater Die features a micrometer bullet seating head that lets you dial the seating depth you want. Each graduation moves the seating depth approximately 1/1000 of an inch. The handy bullet "window" lets you insert bullets through the side of the die instead of the bottom, while a special bullet seating sleeve assures correct bullet alignment before and after seating...
BULLET SEATING

The thimble of the Competition Seater Die is adjustable in .001" increments. To set up the seater die, turn the thimble counter-clockwise to near its maximum adjustment. Insert the die into the press screwing it down to almost touch the standard or, where required, extended shell holder. Position the window of the die to the front and set the lock ring. Insert a primed and powder charged case into the shell holder and raise the ram until the case neck engages the bullet guide. Insert the bullet, base first, into the bullet guide and complete the bullet seating operation. Turn the thimble clockwise until the bullet is seated to the proper depth. Record the thimble setting in your reloading records to reduce set up time the next time the same bullet is loaded.

Im sorry its not RCBS dies. They are redding dies and there are no instructions. But i truly do appreciate all of the responses that all of you have given me they all have been very helpful. I have not started using them, yet i'm still loading .300 jarrett rounds cause i have loaded up sixty rounds test. I also found out that i still need the neck sizing bushing to seat the projectile properly. I just have to say thank you all again for your advice it did help.

It's already answered above, but why not show that more of us agree on the information:

The .002" difference in diameter between the inside of the case mouth and the size of the bullet is what we call neck tension.

This tension will and does hold the bullet securely into position. With the RPR, you don't need to crimp because it is a bolt rifle.

I don't crimp with my AR-10 and haven't had an issue. Should I be? :oops:
Not really, it depends on neck tension. I will crimp though on semi-autos just to be sure the bullet doesn't creep from the sudden stop.

I would check the COAL before chambering and then after to see if it jolted forward after a chambering event.

Should be able to crimp with your bullet seating die. Well, I know that RCBS bullet seating dies will. I don't remember if Hornady dies do or not. I have started using some Hornady dies but don't crimp any of my rifle caliber ammo so I guess I haven't paid that much attention.

Should be able to crimp with your bullet seating die. Well, I know that RCBS bullet seating dies will. I don't remember if Hornady dies do or not. I have started using some Hornady dies but don't crimp any of my rifle caliber ammo so I guess I haven't paid that much attention.

I think you can but I will have to confirm.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top