JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was just looking at a firearms dealer's website. The place sells ARs, handguns an' what-all. They have an LWRC, AR-type rifle going for $2300. I have to ask myself, "HOW can an AR-type rifle-- in .223Rem caliber, sell for so much money?" Looks a lot like any AR from the outside. Are the interior surfaces plated with 24-carat gold? Can it print quarter-minute groups if the barrel is pointed within a 45° arc of the target? My mind is boggled that a rifle that one company can sell for $750, let us say, can be sold by another for three times as much. Are the parts really that much better, and the assembly really that much more accurate than on the $750 rifle? I assemble all of my ARs myself because I enjoy the process. I just cannot see spending so much money for a rifle that propels a bullet to the same velocity as does a much less costly gun. Am I missing something, here?

No your not missing anything. You do not need a BMW to go to the corner market. I have a Hi Point .45 carbine which is ugly and not very well refined.
It has never failed to chamber and shoot what ever I put in the magazine.
Everyone loves to shoot it and it was just over $300 when I bought it. They are a bit more now. This is the backup gun behind my 870 for home protection.
I do own other carbines but not in .45.
I never saw the need for a .223 in my collection. Now the Ar 10 is a different story.

"If it ain't a Colt, it just ain't"... I imprinted on the Prancing Pony way back when it was the only game in town and Iknow them inside and out and in the dark... By the time I got to them the more egregious issues had been worked out tho it took many years for me to really trust them.
The M1A and AK's, well Ive been down those roads too, FAL and H&K. Pretty much settled on the Colt AR tho, mainly due to age 'n stuff. Colt still means "quality" to me.
Still likes me an AK for sure and know how to use it.

Was just looking at a firearms dealer's website. The place sells ARs, handguns an' what-all. They have an LWRC, AR-type rifle going for $2300. I have to ask myself, "HOW can an AR-type rifle-- in .223Rem caliber, sell for so much money?" Looks a lot like any AR from the outside. Are the interior surfaces plated with 24-carat gold? Can it print quarter-minute groups if the barrel is pointed within a 45° arc of the target? My mind is boggled that a rifle that one company can sell for $750, let us say, can be sold by another for three times as much. Are the parts really that much better, and the assembly really that much more accurate than on the $750 rifle? I assemble all of my ARs myself because I enjoy the process. I just cannot see spending so much money for a rifle that propels a bullet to the same velocity as does a much less costly gun. Am I missing something, here?

People will pay $$$ for a "name brand" roll mark on a receiver that's forged at the same place an Anderson "poverty pony" is. The differences can be quality of anodizing (which will still wear off leading edges with heavy use anyway) maybe custom "cuts" but the forged aluminum is still the same.

Most folks think buying "Gucci" kit will give them some sort of cred.

Most folks think buying "Gucci" kit will give them some sort of cred.
In my simple mind, "cred" is generated if the shooter can put a minimum of three shots into a one-inch circle from a minimum of 100 yards. I want to see results-- not a gilded lily...

Turns out there's another benefit to assembling your own…. At least up in PNW currently and past few years. Was an instant over the counter purchase, and there's no way for "them" to know what type of platform you're making….
Assembled my first AR watching YouTube…. I was hooked and haven't purchased a complete rifle yet.
Made low end rifles for less than $400…
Upper end was my wife's hitting $1900 with fancy stuff. Without optics….that could've translated to $2600 in store. In between, I've assembled many in $6-800.
50 Beowulf, 22-250 chambers on AR10s. Are doable for reasonable money..but I've seen some pricey stuff folks had at the range… too much for me.
Can save a lot bypassing marketing, middlemen and assembly. Plus it's likely to change something on your rifle sooner or later.

In my simple mind, "cred" is generated if the shooter can put a minimum of three shots into a one-inch circle from a minimum of 100 yards. I want to see results-- not a gilded lily...
Wish granted….. ;)

I slightly jerked the trigger on the first shot….
30C0466A-CDA7-4506-83C7-7FA6CA26590E.jpeg

My Tikka T3x CTR in .308 gets it done!
7B81DA4A-FCC5-482E-9C6C-69E96D93C334.jpeg

My Tikka T3x CTR in .308 gets it done!
I had a Tikka in .30-06. Don't remember which model. Stainless. Left-handed. Put it into one of those Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole stocks. It sat and sat and sat on the floor at the Scheels in Reno for close to a year. I finally decided I wanted it, offered a good price to take it home and they accepted my offer. That was several years ago and I don't remember if I ever fired it, but it did look dam-ned good in that red "zebra stripe" stock.

fettherwate stock.JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top