JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you could only own one handgun, one rifle, and one shotgun, which would you choose? Lets say it's just like the world today, not during a SHTF scenario or anything (though that's a future possibility).

Mine would be a Glock 19, an AK47, and a Remington 870.

Once I was done crying while slowly rocking back and forth in a corner, hmm, handgun - any one of about a half-dozen different compact semi-auto's in 9mm. Haven't bought or tried nearly enough of them to be sure which one. I'd cheat on the rifle selection: AR15 with two uppers - one 16" w/ACOG, one 24" bull barrel w/big*ss scope & bipod. Both in 5.56. Or maybe the scoped one in 308. Shotgun, oh man, I gotta choose between a Saiga 12 and an 870? Back to my corner for a bit... Probably the 870.

I love my AR15. I just worry that in a long term SHTF scenario parts would be difficult to find if needed.

I love my AR15. I just worry that in a long term SHTF scenario parts would be difficult to find if needed.
I always figured that the M16's status as the main arm of our military would ensure at least some parts availability. If it came down to a full breakdown and no new production of advanced parts, I'll be making BP guns.

As long as I get to keep my reloading equipment and spare parts, I'll be OK for a good while. If I'm required to do a lot of shooting other than hunting, I'm guessing that also means that my life expectancy has been adjusted downward significantly. So in my SHTF scenario, I'm competent enough to survive on what I've got, combined with my mighty intellect, innate resourcefulness, and cat-like reflexes. :D If you can't repose in the sleep of the righteous, defer to the sleep of the blithe. ;)

I always figured that the M16's status as the main arm of our military would ensure at least some parts availability. If it came down to a full breakdown and no new production of advanced parts, I'll be making BP guns.

BP as in black powder? My guess is the moment SHTF gun parts, any gun parts, would be worth their weight in gold.

As long as I get to keep my reloading equipment and spare parts, I'll be OK for a good while. If I'm required to do a lot of shooting other than hunting, I'm guessing that also means that my life expectancy has been adjusted downward significantly. So in my SHTF scenario, I'm competent enough to survive on what I've got, combined with my mighty intellect, innate resourcefulness, and cat-like reflexes. :D If you can't repose in the sleep of the righteous, defer to the sleep of the blithe. ;)

That's a good point. You're probably not going to be shooting enough to really break or wear out a modern firearm.

Don't forget, even when tshtf there will still be the ability to make gun parts. If they can make complete Lee Enfields in caves in Pakistan, I think, given the massive amount of knowledge and manufacturing tools in America, we could make most replacement parts.

As Joe said, parts would be worth their weight in gold. Don't you think someone would move to exploit that by making said parts? It would be much more time consuming, maybe even having to have each part hand made in the most literal sense, but someone would be making parts if they thought they could get something out of it. People with such ability would find themselves in a very favorable position. Barter, trading skill for protection, etc.

Handgun: Glock 27 with Lone Wolf conversion barrels in compact length for 9mm and .357 Sig and an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit
Rifle: My H&R Buffalo Classic (.45-70) with multiple barrels of various calibers
Shotgun: Remington 870 12 ga home-defense model with a longer multi-choke barrel I can switch out for hunting

Unless that's cheating ;)

Rifle - one of my AR's
Shotgun - my Mossy 500 12 gauge
Handgun is tough.. I think I like the idea of something like my Beretta 92, but realistically I find I carry my Ruger GP100 .357 mag more often. It's versatile with a wide range of ammunition... like really heavy Buffalo Bore 180gr hard-cast LFN to a really light .38sp target loads. That one always goes backpacking with me, so it gets more practical use than any of my other handguns, next to my daily concealed carry. Hmmm...yeah the GP100

Well, ~why~ we would be limited, would be the Qualifiers for What I would choose, but then, being from Oregon, I am an odd duck, anyway.

For purely survival hunting, my choice would be these:

Ruger Single Six, Dual cylendars. That was my first Revolver, and My first smithing job, on a Revolver. It is currently owned by a former member of the US Army Pistol Marksmanship team, and he said it was the finest SA revolver he had ever owned.

My next choice, a Rossi M-92 in 357Magnum. Around my AO, it will put down any game that I can see with it. Two Legged or Four.

My shotgun, will surprise most: an H&R Topper, in 410 chambering. Single Shot, you say ??? Yes. I reload for my H&R Topper, I use Norma Brass, in 9.3x74mm Rimmed. This cartridge is in use in Europe, but has Very Interesting dimensions, First it has a very shallow shoulder to neck angle, unlike the 303 British, that most people use to make brass FourTen cases... Plus,it is 74MM in length, almost 3", an improvement over the 303. The base & other dimensions, are all (by design) equal to a .410 Cartridge !!!! After fireforming, it is a life time cartridge, IOW, lower cartridge pressures, provide Long Life. By reloading, the cost goes way down, while maintaining a good load capacity.

Why FourTen? They are quiet. And under survival hunting, quiet is good. You can get four 000 Buck into a load up, if you desire, as well as casting your own.... I have a Lee .395 round ball (spherical) that I cast for it.... So it has a lot of good potential, and is... Quiet, or did I say that.

I once took my (multiple) 410's out to shoot with some friends, they first laughed, all were die hard 12 Ga. folks, Mossies & 870's but after they saw the ability to reload the cartridges, (no, I do not reload "factory plastic", But I do Own some...) they had a differing opinion.

Now, for War: I would choose different. And have 3 goto weapons for that... All semi auto, and in .308, 45acp & 12 gauge.

But that is a different story.

philip,
In the BoonDocks

Snipped to: but realistically I find I carry my Ruger GP100 .357 mag more often. It's versatile with a wide range of ammunition.... Hmmm...yeah the GP100

If you ever get a chance, try the Lee mould at 110 grain Semi wadcutter. I used to do a Hard Cast, that brought its weight to 98 grains, in Linotype, and I used 357mag cartridges. Bullseye Powder.

It is so flat shooting it is unbelievable, Zero Recoil, and no meat damage to Bunny Wabbits. ;)

Mine was out of a Ruger Security Six, Stainless 4" Bbl.

Hope you enjoy that one,

philip
In the BoonDocks, and I wish I had never sold that Security Six to my Brother.... !!!!!

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top