JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My personal preferences would be the following:
1. Mossberg 500 Pump 12 Guage for small game and birds
2. Ruger Redhawk 45 ACP / 45 LC convertible revolver for larger game and two legged vermin
3. Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45 LC for larger game

A good reloading press for shotgun and pistol ammo and you would be set for life.

I would grab my 12 Ga Maverick 88. Ammo should be plentiful. one of my 5.56 AR15, nice common ammo near by. and my SA XD9 for the plentiful ammo.

I live across the street from New Frontier Armory but I am also near a large military facility.

And just like that, I killed the thread.
I don't think you killed the thread it's just hard to decide what three you need given your current situation I'm sure preppers I have given this the same thought in case they have to bug out. As for me I'm already buged out so now I guess I have to defend myself from the hordes of preppers:D:p
It looks to me as though some people I've given some long serious thought. And I was hoping to get some ideas in case my circumstances might change , you know something I hadn't thought about. Like About being afraid to use my credit card in in former communist Bloc countries I can't remember who it was that suggested I get a prepaid card that way I could just put enough on there so I wouldn't lose anything never thought of that.
So I'm sure this thread will give people something to think about and some new ideas
I can see by your gun choices you enjoy a good challenge in searching out cheap and reliable ammo sources LOL:D that will keep you on your toes

If i was to add a forth, it would be my 2011 series 6inch 10mm, even to the point of subbing out the 1903, which would kinda suck! Lol
Ura - ki, let me throw you a bit of a curveball let's say you can add 4th gun and you're not constrained by sensibilities, location, finances, what FUN gun would you add?

I'm talking about a just-for-fun gun. Maybe a 22 for plinking, maybe a full-on automatic machine gun that you take out to Big Sandy twice a year just to make big piles of brass, LOL. Or maybe you like shooting sports, AR/AK pistols , or steel plates or bullseye.
I look forward to your thoughts

Christmas is just around the corner, and I need some ideas about what to get me for Christmas:p:D;)

Folded in thirds! LOL
maxresdefault (6).jpg

Ura - ki, let me throw you a bit of a curveball let's say you can add 4th gun and you're not constrained by sensibilities, location, finances, what FUN gun would you add?

I'm talking about a just-for-fun gun. Maybe a 22 for plinking, maybe a full-on automatic machine gun that you take out to Big Sandy twice a year just to make big piles of brass, LOL. Or maybe you like shooting sports, AR/AK pistols , or steel plates or bullseye.
I look forward to your thoughts

Christmas is just around the corner, and I need some ideas about what to get me for Christmas:p:D;)

HUM,............. I am more the practical type, all my Firearms serve a purpose and need, so I would likely have a pair of Ruger Old Armies strapped on the hips, or My 1895 Winchester, or my favorite hunting every thing rifle, my Holland and Holland .375 Weatherby Magnum!

As a newbie to all of this, I love that you all have stated what guns you'd like, but can you let me in on the why...the wisdom of your choices?

Thank you.

Firstly, WELCOME ABOARD, glad to have ya!

For me, my choices are based on over 40 Years experience, Hunting, Military service, and overall performance in all conditions and expectations!
First, the FN/FAL Known round the world and the "Right Arm of the Free World" and it has certainly earned that title! It's very robust, reliable, accurate, and easy to care for and maintain, sort of the western world's version of the AK! When it comes to hard hitting, long range, accurate fire discipline, very few fighting rifles compare!
Second is my 1903 Springfield! Hands down the best of all bolt action fighting rifles of all time! Sporterized, it is even better then ever! It's lighter, has better sights, it's more compact, and lightning quick to bring into action when the need arises! When it comes to hard hitting power and range, few rifles compare, especially in the standard .30/06 chambering! That and the 03's have some pretty nifty "Improvements" that really come into their own as hunting rifles!
Next, my C.A.R. 16 Commando! Light, Fast, Compact ,Accurate, medium range fighting tool, cheap to feed, easy to care for, converts to shoot even cheaper .22 LR ammo, and runs suppressed to make it super quiet when needed! Super easy to carry and use, easy to service and maintain, and the wife can use it if needed and she doesn't have to know the full manual of arms to use it safely or effectively!
Makes for a super handy game getter when taking game is risky!
The 2011 series 1911, same greatness of the original 1911 design with all the nifty improvements and a modern super high power chambering and it's a double stack to more then double the original's limit of 8 rounds, now holding 17+1! Its super accurate, and the 10 mm auto is the most powerful chambering that will fit a "Standard" size mag well/grip! It's heavier then most other semi auto pistols, but it's super accurate for lightning fast followup shots, and they don't get more rugged or reliable then the 1911's!
My Ruger Old Armies are carried specifically because they can shoot easy to get/find/make Black Power, and cast lead projectiles, and being Ruger, they are extra tough, reliable, and accurate, plus the power of .44 Magnum and then some if you want to really push them, makes for a very powerful hand cannon when you need that extra punch, and a pair of them brings 12 rounds to the fight in a great big hurry! Plus, the smoke they make is a very effective screen to cover you when you need to shoot and scoot, and yes, I'm good shooting with one in each hand!

Yup, Not to many options for the Grips on the 2011 series frames, unless you want fancy metal ones betwen $350 and $900, I said naw, $80 for the STI poly grip was just fine! The Slide is STI though! LOL Speed Shooters had them on sale for a good price at the time, so I got it instead of the Fusion or Caspian I normally roll with!

Yup, Not to many options for the Grips on the 2011 series frames, unless you want fancy metal ones betwen $350 and $900, I said naw, $80 for the STI poly grip was just fine! The Slide is STI though! LOL Speed Shooters had them on sale for a good price at the time, so I got it instead of the Fusion or Caspian I normally roll with!

I'd love to have one in 10mm. They're nice looking pistols...

I just bought a Springfield XDM with a 4.5 barrel in 10mm...

As a newbie to all of this, I love that you all have stated what guns you'd like, but can you let me in on the why...the wisdom of your choices?

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum and the world of firearms.

As for the wisdom of my choices...
Firearms to me at least are very personal...
I like blued steel and a wood stock...others prefer the more "Tactical " look that is in vogue...
The historic aspect of certain firearms also interests me...

The choices I picked in my first post in this thread , I picked because :
I shoot them well...
They are dependable and easy to shoot...
Plus they are simply fun to shoot...

I would suggest that you try any firearm that you are offered to shoot and whatever "catches your eye"...
You never really know just how that firearm really works or shoots , for you , till you try it.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top