JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The is a similar thread but I'd like to know just the type of gun, ie 9 mm auto because of plentiful inexpensive ammo or another example 357 / 38 sp because of simple manual of arms.

I realize your location and hobbies will influnce your chooses, example - when I lived in LA County I wanted an armored personal carrier with a 20 mm cannon ;)

so again just the 3 types/cal and reason, but not a SHTF scenario
I'll start
1- 12 ga Pump shot gun with two long and short barrels- for defense and game as necessary, 12 ga is easiest to come by in many different loads
2- double action revolver, 4 in barrel, 357 cal - for defense and one could take a deer if needed, ammo and different loads still popular, simple manual of arms.
3- lever action 357/38sp - same as above only with more power and simplifies the ammo to carry or warehouse :)

I live in the sticks, its not "off the grind" but you can see were it starts from here LOL So I have to plan my trips to town, to get everything I need for a week/ month. If i lived in Phx Or Tucson again, the shot gun barrel, the rifle and handgun would all change!

I look forward to learn your choices and why!:D

My .54 Hawken Rifle copy...
'Cause I shoot it the best out of all the rifles that I own or have owned....
.54 caliber is plenty of "oomph" for hunting...I have taken deer , elk , black bear and grouse with it...also I have won many a rifle shooting match with it.

My 20 gauge Wingmaster from 1962...
It was the first gun that I owned and it belonged to my granddad.
This gun has also kept me fed and won many a shotgun match.

My Remington model 33 rifle in .22 Long Rifle...although it can also shoot .22 Long and .22 Short....
Neat light weight and accurate , single shot bolt action .22 rifle from 1933...again has kept me fed and won a few rifle matches.

Most of all , all three of the above are fun to shoot...!

For an all around "Big three" gun collection its tough to beat :
A rifle in :
.30-30
.30-06
A shotgun in either 20 or 12 gauge ...especially if one can be had with two barrels...one long one for "field use" and a shorter one , with a bit more open choke , for slugs or "Pest Control"
And either a handgun in whatever caliber you favor or a .22 rifle....

And with all that said...
Threads like these bring out all sorts of thoughts , opinions and experiences...
My choices here in my post reflect my needs and experiences...which may be vastly different than someone else.
Andy

My .54 Hawken Rifle copy...
'Cause I shoot it the best out of all the rifles that I own or have owned....
.54 caliber is plenty of "oomph" for hunting...I have taken deer , elk , black bear and grouse with it...also I have won many a rifle shooting match with it.

My 20 gauge Wingmaster from 1962...
It was the first gun that I owned and it belonged to my granddad.
This gun has also kept me fed and won many a shotgun match.

My Remington model 33 rifle in .22 Long Rifle...although it can also shoot .22 Long and .22 Short....
Neat light weight and accurate , single shot bolt action .22 rifle from 1933...again has kept me fed and won a few rifle matches.

For an all around "Big three" gun collection its tough to beat :
A rifle in :
.30-30
.30-06
A shotgun in either 20 or 12 gauge ...especially if one can be had with two barrels...one long one for "field use" and a shorter one , with a bit more open choke , for slugs or "Pest Control"
And either a handgun in whatever caliber you favor or a .22 rifle....

And with all that said...
Threads like these bring out all sorts of thoughts , opinions and experiences...
My choices here in my post reflect my needs and experiences...which may be vastly different than someone else.
Andy
Andy, I think you got the point

I will have to put some thought into this. Great topic but dang. For my living situation I would have to go with these.

Pistol (make and model can differ) in 9mm for everyday carry and home defense pistol
AR for critters on the property whether it be two legged or four. (caliber would be 5.56 but 300blk pistol would serve as well)
My Tikka bolt action in 308 for larger game and longer shots.

If I could go for 4 it would be my 12 gauge shotgun

Hope I kept to the spirit of this thread testing me after a long day doesn't always go well:s0092:

I actually only have three guns ... They are a 6"1911 in 10mm , a 20"bbl bullpup in 10mm , and a beretta 1201 fp 12 ga . I have owned many more in the past but this is the consolidation that I came to . I have a progressive press set up for 10mm , and 12g is super plentiful and cheap . I have thought about another "big" rifle , and still consider it occasionally , but it's the least useful of the bunch , honestly to me . IMHO , of course .

The is a similar thread but I'd like to know just the type of gun, ie 9 mm auto because of plentiful inexpensive ammo or another example 357 / 38 sp because of simple manual of arms.

I realize your location and hobbies will influnce your chooses, example - when I lived in LA County I wanted an armored personal carrier with a 20 mm cannon ;)

so again just the 3 types/cal and reason, but not a SHTF scenario
I'll start
1- 12 ga Pump shot gun with two long and short barrels- for defense and game as necessary, 12 ga is easiest to come by in many different loads
2- double action revolver, 4 in barrel, 357 cal - for defense and one could take a deer if needed, ammo and different loads still popular, simple manual of arms.
3- lever action 357/38sp - same as above only with more power and simplifies the ammo to carry or warehouse :)

I live in the sticks, its not "off the grind" but you can see were it starts from here LOL So I have to plan my trips to town, to get everything I need for a week/ month. If i lived in Phx Or Tucson again, the shot gun barrel, the rifle and handgun would all change!

I look forward to learn your choices and why!:D

Your choices have a lot of merit and I tend to agree except that I'd swap out the lever action, even though you'd have caliber commonality, for a bolt action in .308.
I say .308 over .30-06 only because the former seems to have a larger following and, therefore, easier to find ammo for in a pinch. Certainly the .308 can do ALMOST as much as the -06 with few exceptions, and I've taken more game with the -06, but I have never felt under-gunned with the (modestly) smaller round.
You just need to keep in mind the range and game when hunting to ensure a humane kill.
And although I am thoroughly (!) a semiautomatic kinda shooter, the ease of owning/operating a wheel gun cannot be denied and the same can be said WRT the availability various ammo types/weights.
Otherwise, unless you open the discussion to include a fourth gun, in which case I'd add a .22LR of some sort.
Bucket list complete.
Almost. LOL
Thanks for letting me exercise my dusty brain.

Remington 241, clone of Browning SA-22 smaller and lighter than the Ruger 22
Rossi combo matched pair, 12 gauge and .308
Aero Survival in 10mm

The Rossi is as close to the old Savage 24 series (over-under single barrel) as I could get and still shoot it.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top