JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, in the interest of starting a new thread I was thinking about all the guns I have owned and the only one I ever parted with, which I gave away. I'm sure we all have that one gun (or many in some people's case) that was just such a wonderful piece of equipment that it was cast off quickly or went to the scrap pile.

For me it was a Squires Bingham 22 semi-auto rifle that I bought at Gemco (yes it was that long ago). It would not close the bolt into battery after about 15 shots but would fire the unseated casing and blow out the side of a 22 casing without ejecting it when fired. As I told the friend I gave it to, "It does't totally suck" which has become sort of a mantra for most things in my life that I could seriously do without.

What quality relics have you folks owned that you won't admit to?

Brian

hmmm... not sure where to go with that - I had a MAB in .32 that had technical difficulties - once it hiccuped and I found multiple casings on the ground...:star:

Closest I have ever come to giving away a forearm was a Spanish .25 Auto that a buddy who's life changed and he could no longer own a firearm left here one time. I spent about 3 hours one night getting it to the point it would go click and seam like it worked. Then I took it to a "GUN BUY BACK" thing in Portland. I stood in line talking to some nice folks and got a $50.00 gift card for it.

Took the $50.00 gift card filled the tank on my pickup. Then I took the $50.00 of gas money from that weeks budget and a little I had saved up and went to Sportsmans Warehouse and bought a really nice Ruger MKIII 22-45 RP.

I'm sure that's what the "GUN BUY BACK" people would have wanted me to do with the Gift Cert. LOL

My parents have a Raven .25 auto they used to keep around. Once I was educated enough about firearms to know what it was I took the magazine and hid it, for their safety. I still have it hidden, ten years later :D

Closest I have ever come to giving away a forearm was a Spanish .25 Auto that a buddy who's life changed and he could no longer own a firearm left here one time. I spent about 3 hours one night getting it to the point it would go click and seam like it worked. Then I took it to a "GUN BUY BACK" thing in Portland. I stood in line talking to some nice folks and got a $50.00 gift card for it.

Took the $50.00 gift card filled the tank on my pickup. Then I took the $50.00 of gas money from that weeks budget and a little I had saved up and went to Sportsmans Warehouse and bought a really nice Ruger MKIII 22-45 RP.

I'm sure that's what the "GUN BUY BACK" people would have wanted me to do with the Gift Cert. LOL

LOL - a friend picked up 5 or 6 POS euro trash pistols, think they were makarov knockoffs of some sort. Cheap diecast junk guns that didn't work - paid about $20 each, wrapped where the grips should have been with black tape and made them go click when you pulled the trigger (even though they wouldn't have cycled or worked properly). Took them to the Oakland "buy back" and got something like $200 each in gift cards, though he did have to sit in line for 6 hours or so.

Oddly enough I have a little bryco that someone gifted me, I was going to make a youtube video showing off what a pile of crap it was... I think it realize it was being set up for failure and flawlessly fired and reloaded, hitting exactly where I aimed and dutifully spitting out the shells. I think I sold it to someone at a WAC show for $50.

Biggest disappointment however... The AR-7, it jammed, if it didn't jam it wouldn't hit the primer hard enough to go bang, I think I sold it to someone for $100 because I had a crapton of mags with it. Glad to be rid of it!

Para-Ordnance P10. Jam-o-matic. That POS was choking on 230gr. fmj ball ammo! Could not get thru a single mag without multiple feeding jams. In Para's defense, I never sent it in for repairs. I took it to the next gun show and sold it.

I got ripped on a trade for a knife I made- some cash and a Galesi .25 cal... it won't go thru a magazine without choking on feed or ejection. Got even with the guy on a later deal but that's not the point, sometimes evening the score can take years.
Later a friend GAVE me a really nice-looking clean Galesi .25 which had no magazine. So now I have two neither of which work, and nowhere to get Galesi .25 magazines.
Later I did buy an even smaller Baby Browning which works even with the little .25 cal hollow points so it's all good.

Tec-22, horrible jammamatic with the issued magazine, worked fine with Ruger 10/22 10 round mag. Sold that cheap. Gave away? CZ-100. Absolutely WORST trigger I have ever felt. I didn't lose any money on it - it was given to me in the first place, for the same reason.

My story is bit different! I got a great deal on a 6" Astra .357. It turned out to be an excellent revolver, and served me very well for a full ten years! Finally, after a decade of heavy hand loads the forcing cone finally split ending its useful life. Adding insult to injury, I dropped it and snapped the trigger in half! The guns use wasn't really over! I sold it for $50 at a gun buy back, converted the grocery certificate to cash, (nice try, antis) and used it to buy a S&W 686! :D

Tec-22, horrible jammamatic with the issued magazine, worked fine with Ruger 10/22 10 round mag. Sold that cheap. Gave away? CZ-100. Absolutely WORST trigger I have ever felt. I didn't lose any money on it - it was given to me in the first place, for the same reason.

Man, nothing you could do to improve the trigger?

My story is bit different! I got a great deal on a 6" Astra .357. It turned out to be an excellent revolver, and served me very well for a full ten years! Finally, after a decade of heavy hand loads the forcing cone finally split ending its useful life. Adding insult to injury, I dropped it and snapped the trigger in half! The guns use wasn't really over! I sold it for $50 at a gun buy back, converted the grocery certificate to cash, (nice try, antis) and used it to buy a S&W 686! :D

Nice work!!

Taurus TCP...never chambered a round without riding the slide. Taurus sent it back with no work done at all, and tagged it as 'issue resolved'. I never fired it once. Sold it to a co-worker for $200 and now he doesn't like me.

No, Joe, the CZ-100 bad trigger is legendary, same classification as the HK vP70z, just rancid horrifying, and designed that way the original end user, a European country who wanted them as police pistols, as the story goes, but backed out of the deal. The pistol had a number of very interesting features, but the DAO trigger was so bad nothing could help it. The same company went on to make the smooth as melted butter DAo of the shirt lived Colt Z-40. THAT DAO was, well, like Colonel Potter said about good scotch, "There's not enough 'o's in smoooooth to describe this one!"
There was an even shorter lived CZ110, which was the same gun with a far more conventional DA/SA trigger, but it never made it in the US.

Wanna know the worst junker that was supposed to be the best? I had an UZI Model B I bought in California, (yes, in cali), and brought back to AZ when I left the service. It would not fire a full magazine without a jam. Ever. But when the 94 ban went into effect I traded it to a collector for several guns and a LOT of ammo.

My stupid buy was a Savage .30-06. Some idiot had shot the gun with a low powder cartridge and the bullet never left the barrel and he never bothered to tell me. Shot it and the threading on the front of the barrel peeled like a banana. Sold it to a gunsmith.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top