JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey gents- I was doing some research on a new hunting rifle and found an article that said the number one grab was the new Sako S20. Not sure if $1600 is worth it or if anyone has heard good things? Any suggestions on a new setup would be aprecited thanks in advance.

If you have the cash then I say go for it. A buddy of mine bought a savage from Walmart on sale and put a budget scope on it. His goal was to get a sub 400 dollar hunting rifle. Needless to say it's killed several deer.

Build your own rifle. Get a Bighorn Origin action, screw-on a Savage small-shank barrel of your desired caliber, pin a quality trigger on it and add a stock. You will have exactly what you want, not some marketer's idea of a "perfect rifle." Those kind of guns are LCD guns, meaning lowest common denominator. They'll satisfy the greatest number of people, but can never really be ideal for every user.

I was aware of the previous concern, and so I set about to build a left-bolt/right-port target machine in 6.5-284 Norma. I have the Zermatt Arms TL3 action in pre-hardened 416 stainless; it's absolutely gorgeous. Barrel will be a 26" X-Caliber, also in 416 stainless. Stock will be the MagPul Pro Series 700 ambidextrous contraption. Have not decided on a trigger; want something that can be adjusted way, way down to where breathing on it will dam-ned near trip it. Any suggestions?

The rifle I estimate to cost $3200 to 3500 without the $2800 Nightforce scope-- over $6000 before any brass, bullets and dies are purchased.

Things to consider: 1) I have to ask myself if I really need to do this. 2) I live where finding a place to shoot long-range is beyond easy. 3) Wants and needs are two different things. 4) I already have the action in-hand. 5) I work six days a week, so when can I actually get out there, get all set-up and get to shooting?

Actions - BigHorn ArmsBigHorn Arms

Last Edited:
Sako is a GREAT rifle one of the best factory options. You would be able to get many for less money some as good but the hunt for the perfect rifle will never end. It all depends on what you want it for and what your skill level is.

MY 6.5X284 I put together. With everything I have about $ 1800 +
ADF464AF-021F-4B1F-858E-DD373655372F_4_5005_c.jpeg

You don't need anything fancy to kill deer with.
Buy a good solid rifle with a good scope and go hunting.
Every one of my hunting rifles are bolt actions and with leupold scopes.
The newest one is probably 40 years old.
I have a Remington 721 with a 4X leupold scope that was made in 1950 and it has killed more deer than most hunters have ever seen.
I still hunt with it.

MY 6.5X284 I put together. With everything I have about $1800+
I must be doing something wrong. Mine will come in at around $7000, assuming Joe BiteMe and CamelFace Hera allow me to build it. That would be after I pass through all the rings of fire required under H.R. 127. Don't get me started...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top