JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Guess I'll have to get out and see about picking up one of them new fangled MRE's to see what they are like. I really didn't mind the c rat's and could cook up some real good meals if you fried and mixed the right stuff together. and always got to finish off with a malted milk ball mixing stuff together. I still have my good old John Wayne.

Wow! No offense Joe, but you don't get out much do you? :D

I have a lot of sardines in the storage room. I have both but prefer the packed in mustard. Can not take the packed in catsup! o_O Ugh!!!
I also have a goodly supply of smoked oysters, my favorite, and kippered snacks. A kind of lightly smoked herring fillets.

No offense taken! Just never met anyone who ate sardines :D

Which kind of sardines do you prefer? I've literally never had them.

Wow! No offense Joe, but you don't get out much do you? :D

I have a lot of sardines in the storage room. I have both but prefer the packed in mustard. Can not take the packed in catsup! o_O Ugh!!!
I also have a goodly supply of smoked oysters, my favorite, and kippered snacks. A kind of lightly smoked herring fillets.

Well, it's 4:00 AM and no sleep so I was having random thoughts and came up with, if I was a canned fish neub I'd try the Kippered snacks first. They are mild yet flavorful! Try a can with your favorite crackers and a beer! Great stuff! I like King Oscar brand, but there are many others. :)

As a PS, if you like canned salmon, it's one of the longest lasting canned foods around. Personally, I can't gut the stuff, but I'm in the minority.

Last Edited:
Well, it's 4:00 AM and no sleep so I was having random thoughts and came up with, if I was a canned fish neub I'd try the Kippered snacks first. They are mild yet flavorful! Try a can with your favorite crackers and a beer! Great stuff! I like King Oscar brand, but there are many others. :)

As a PS, if you like canned salmon, it's one of the longest lasting canned foods around. Personally, I can't gut the stuff, but I'm in the minority.

I'll make note of that next time I go to the store. Is it widely available?

I can already hear the girlfriend complaining :D

A steady diet of anything would spur my creative juices into finding alternatives. Maybe even have me looking at your dog real close stewed up with some cattail root and wild onion. To sort of answer your question; At least a week or two. I Had my fill of Government cuisine (MRI) so longer than I could eat that stuff. At one point, the best part of the MRI was the Lucky Strikes.
Ditto on the Luckies!

I found a bargain on new MRE's that so guy was liquidating for some obscure reason. I bought 90 days worth and have them packed in coolers, lids taped shut in an inside closet. They were 1 year from current when I bought them.
I have used MRE's when I go on Deer or Elk hunts. Keeps it simple, water, coffee, Jameson's, MRE's and bedding.

Try eating raw snake and iguana (or any other wiggly live protein candidate) in a jungle under absolute noise and light discipline (meaning NO campfires) after the MRE's run out, washed down with mud-puddle water filtered through a bandana into a canteen cup then treated with iodine tablets…. good times.

In that particular Army unit we used to say, "fussy boys go hungry".

MREs came after my time, but with the C-Rats, it was, Pork & Beans, that brick of chocolate you had to shave off with a knife & Lucky Strikes. I've eaten frog legs, but I'd have to be damned hungry to eat smoked oysters. :(

My dad brough a few crates of C-Rats home right after WWII. I recall when he went off TDY mom would pull out one of the shipping boxes and we four kids got to pick our dinner. It is how I learned to smoke. I still have the G.I. can opener from that era.

A steady diet of anything would spur my creative juices into finding alternatives. Maybe even have me looking at your dog real close stewed up with some cattail root and wild onion. To sort of answer your question; At least a week or two. I Had my fill of Government cuisine (MRI) so longer than I could eat that stuff. At one point, the best part of the MRI was the Lucky Strikes.
Loved them Luckies!

Try eating raw snake and iguana (or any other wiggly live protein candidate) in a jungle under absolute noise and light discipline (meaning NO campfires) after the MRE's run out, washed down with mud-puddle water filtered through a bandana into a canteen cup then treated with iodine tablets…. good times.

In that particular Army unit we used to say, "fussy boys go hungry".
Never done iguana, but rattlesnake even after being skinned and gutted, tries to jump out of the pan. it's a really interesting phenomenon. That said, if you are unable to cook it first, at least pack it in salt and let it cook chemically for a few hours.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top