JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
480 ruger(375 linebaugh) or a 454casull.
Both revolvers, 480 has less recoil than a 44 mag. Most 454 casulls can also chamber a 45 long colt. Both have serious knock down power. Simple and reliable.

I'd like to address the caliber issue. First, let me say that I am no expert on killing or hunting bear. I am however experienced at shooting certain critters such as raccoon, armadillo, opossum, and groundhog/woodchuck, and beaver. I keep several .38 revolvers throughout the house along with a semi-auto and a couple carbines for emergencies.

A couple months ago I had the opportunity to finally shoot a large groundhog that had been terrorizing my yard, garden and burrowing in under my outbuildings. I grabbed one of the .38 specials with hollow points and shot him 4 times before he finally died. The first two shots were body shots because I was shooting at about 30 feet and didn't want to risk missing with a head shot. Both body shots were hits and with both he rolled over, shook it off and started charging at me. Yeah, I know, its just a groundhog but hear me out.

As he charged toward me I had to step backwards in order to keep the sights on him and was able to make a third hit this time in his chest. He rolled over and shook around violently and I shot him a fourth time in the head to put him out of misery. So, 4 rounds of .38 special for a GROUNDHOG! What did I learn? Go back to ball rounds or a larger caliber altogether. When it comes to bear, I would definitely use that 45/70 or a slug gun. 30-30 is a small field rifle easy to sling and quickly fire as well. You can get one at Walmart for around $400 out the door. I would think this would be effective but the experts will have to chime in to make that call. Bear bleed-out slow from what I've read.

All this talk about BEAR killing.....

5052797091_cbe02fe21d.jpg

Aloha, Mark

I'd like to address the caliber issue. First, let me say that I am no expert on killing or hunting bear. I am however experienced at shooting certain critters such as raccoon, armadillo, opossum, and groundhog/woodchuck, and beaver. I keep several .38 revolvers throughout the house along with a semi-auto and a couple carbines for emergencies.

A couple months ago I had the opportunity to finally shoot a large groundhog that had been terrorizing my yard, garden and burrowing in under my outbuildings. I grabbed one of the .38 specials with hollow points and shot him 4 times before he finally died. The first two shots were body shots because I was shooting at about 30 feet and didn't want to risk missing with a head shot. Both body shots were hits and with both he rolled over, shook it off and started charging at me. Yeah, I know, its just a groundhog but hear me out.

As he charged toward me I had to step backwards in order to keep the sights on him and was able to make a third hit this time in his chest. He rolled over and shook around violently and I shot him a fourth time in the head to put him out of misery. So, 4 rounds of .38 special for a GROUNDHOG! What did I learn? Go back to ball rounds or a larger caliber altogether. When it comes to bear, I would definitely use that 45/70 or a slug gun. 30-30 is a small field rifle easy to sling and quickly fire as well. You can get one at Walmart for around $400 out the door. I would think this would be effective but the experts will have to chime in to make that call. Bear bleed-out slow from what I've read.

I got two things from your story. First of all thank you for sharing so we can all learn together. Second the larger the caliber the better and it can be done with a smaller caliber but shot placement and choice of ammo is everything.

So do you think if you would have hit him in the head on first shot it would have put him down?

Seeing how the headshot killed him immediately I would say yes. The problem with most critters is you get one shot before they're gone so you at least want a disabling shot. Sort of like shooting a tank with the old LAW rocket. Go for the tracks then the turret or soft spot.

11 Charlie suggested talking to your neighbors. I would start there. See what they are doing for general protection. Your family would have to be included into the fire arm protection scheme. A lever 45-70 is not a ladies or child weapon unless they have the experience to back up using one. You might be dealing with a one off bear which has been dealt with. Any critter that is overly friendly is a problem and the critter may be sick. Food is a powerful stimulus and wild animals do follow their noses. Time to pack the cooler differently. Zip lock bags for everything to cut down on smells.
I spent the night in Yellowstone years ago. Signs everywhere do not leave your coolers in the car or outside your door. I brought mine in the room and kept it in the bathroom. Sure was a ruckus that night as the car alarms went off
Congrats on the property time to get some game cameras and set them up so you can learn who is visiting your space. I found that I have a mountain lion that visits my 5 acres here in Southern Arizona. Along with the deer, javelina, quail and owls.

Seeing how the headshot killed him immediately I would say yes. The problem with most critters is you get one shot before they're gone so you at least want a disabling shot. Sort of like shooting a tank with the old LAW rocket. Go for the tracks then the turret or soft spot.

I see a tank differently than I do a animal. I have always gone for the kill shot when hunting because I'm to damn old to chase a Elk or deer over several miles. If it was me I would have used a rifle and went for the head shot. Glad you got the job done.

First off do not try to shoot a bear in the head, the angles of the skull plate make the odds of success highly unlikely more than likely wounding the bear and possibly kicking in their fight instinct. Second off educate yourself on anatomy of your prey to do that ethically. And in emergency it's all about center of mass in vital regions anyhow.

IMG_0633.JPG

And yes a 30 06 is plenty for the az bears, we used the 06 for the first 3 bears we tagged. We found we lost too much meat depending on bullet selection so now were using 6.5 stuff. Shot placement is vital for any game somebody is going to take especially game that can fight back lol

I hope I'm never too close to have to shoot one. Then I'd have to report it and have it butchered-up and donate the meat to the local soup kitchen and get my assets ripped by liberals who believe the bear has more a Right to live than I do. It's just too much trouble...

At closer range, probably a 12ga with slug... if the "screamer" and air-burst "banger" round doesnt run it off, the next in line is the slug.. frankly tho, with many bear encounters in my life and work, the "bear bangers"- an air burst m80.. work wonders and I never had to resort to the slugs and buck. My "bear rifle" is a sportered Mauser '98 in 8mm Mauser. Hope things never come to the point of needing to shoot a bear at close range, esp w/ a pistol.....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top