JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I 've bought 150 acres of land in Southern Vermont. As my wife and I were unloading the car a bear came out of the wood. It looked at us for a few seconds then started to trot toward us. The kids were playing on the second floor of an old original barn, which is the only building on the land. As soon as I saw that thing running toward us I locked the car and we both run into the barn. I closed the door and we joined the kids upstairs.
From the window we saw that animal destroy the driver's door to get to the food that was in the car. As soon as he was done eating our food or the whole weekend it left. It took two hours. We no cell coverage I couldn't call anybody. I was furious that the camera was in the car. The animal was shot by a local a couple days later. 460 pounds.

I just can't deal with that. As of today I just don't feel secure there. I'm going to have a bunch of people helping me fix the barn, most of them students, and a few kids will be playing around.

I have inherited a 30-06 from my late father. I've shot that gun a lot at the range with him, but I never hunted or killed anything with it. Frankly, I'm not that knowledgeable about guns.

Is this the right gun to kill a bear?
A few precision. I'm not going to try to hunt bears and shoot them from 200 yards. Unfortunately I have a grimmer scenario that could happen. There is only 50 yards from the edge of the wood to the barn. I need a weapon that can kill a bear that will come out of those woods and start walking/trotting, running towards us. Most likely a front shot.
Is that savage 111 30-06 with a four bullet magazine the right gun to kill a bear before he can cover those 50 yards?
If now, what should I get instead?
A friend suggested a mossberg shotgun loaded with what he called brenekke?
Help!

Sounds to me like you need to have a good 45-70 lever action with in arms reach and start carrying a 10mm pistol on you with a good bear load. Option two would be a shotgun with slugs in it.

@dreannife Have you talked to your neighbors? Does this sort of thing happen all the time or this just a once in blue moon type of thing?

Reason I ask is it could make a difference on what and how you carry. Do you carry a pistol with you every day now?

All jokes aside here is my problem with bear spray. They are a wild animal and if the spray doesn't work then you might not have time to pull your pistol or get to your long gun. I'd rather be safe than take my life or the life of my loved ones to chance.

Just MHO for what its worth.

All jokes aside here is my problem with bear spray. They are a wild animal and if the spray doesn't work then you might not have time to pull your pistol or get to your long gun. I'd rather be safe than take my life or the life of my loved ones to chance.

Just MHO for what its worth.
I thought the same thing until I watched the effectiveness of it and read several 1st hand accounts. It changed my mind. YMMV

In answer to Dreannife's question, a 30-06 with the proper bullets would drop a bear in the 450 pound range. If you have a limited budget for other weapons then I would suggest the use the 12 gauge shotgun with the recommended slug. The law enforcement agencies in Alaska use a shotgun with great success as they deal with the bear problem daily. 1.The real problem I see is having the weapon of choice at the ready for use. 2. Any handgun capable of positively dropping a bear would require a good deal of practice. 3.For an untrained person I would suggest starting with a magnum revolver over any semi auto pistol in that situation. 4.Semi autos like a 10mm would require even more training. 5.If you decide on a handgun please get professional training. Be safe.

I carry a 10 mm auto all the time loaded hot for anti every thing, so it's 200 gr solids from Lasercast or BuffaloBore solids!
The O.P's bear was a pretty standard size bear for the lower 48, and any hand gun of at least 9 mm would be plenty, or a .45ACP even better!
For long gun, it's no good to you if it's not in the hands or on a sling on your shoulder, so any option there must be close at hand and easy to get into action! Where I normally live, I have a 1200+ pound Grizzly as a common visitor, from early spring to late fall, it's a good chance he is on my ranch near the stream eating all my berries, rolling boulders, and generally being a bear, He has never caused me any issues, but if he were to become a problem, a .45/70 would be the first choice. When ever I need to go through the fence to access the lower fields on foot or on the tractor, I have the lever action close at hand! Our Bear is so used to us and generally ignores us when ever he are in "His" area, BUT, never trust a bear, NEVER!

I carry a 10 mm auto all the time loaded hot for anti every thing, so it's 200 gr solids from Lasercast or BuffaloBore solids!
The O.P's bear was a pretty standard size bear for the lower 48, and any hand gun of at least 9 mm would be plenty, or a .45ACP even better!
For long gun, it's no good to you if it's not in the hands or on a sling on your shoulder, so any option there must be close at hand and easy to get into action! Where I normally live, I have a 1200+ pound Grizzly as a common visitor, from early spring to late fall, it's a good chance he is on my ranch near the stream eating all my berries, rolling boulders, and generally being a bear, He has never caused me any issues, but if he were to become a problem, a .45/70 would be the first choice. When ever I need to go through the fence to access the lower fields on foot or on the tractor, I have the lever action close at hand! Our Bear is so used to us and generally ignores us when ever he are in "His" area, BUT, never trust a bear, NEVER!
Ura-Ki as a staff member your recommendations should address a new shooters abilities and his own problem. I can not endorse your statement that any handgun of at least 9mm would be plenty. I would not want someone who is not knowledgeable about guns only having a 9mm to keep a bear from attacking children. I have been shooting and hunting for over 50 years and would not want to face a bear with a 9mm in that situation.

Ura-Ki as a staff member your recommendations should address a new shooters abilities and his own problem. I can not endorse your statement that any handgun of at least 9mm would be plenty. I would not want someone who is not knowledgeable about guns only having a 9mm to keep a bear from attacking children. I have been shooting and hunting for over 50 years and would not want to face a bear with a 9mm in that situation.

My guess is that @Ura-Ki is saying something is better than nothing. I know him well enough that he wouldn't face an angry bear with a 9mm either. For god sake he carries a 10mm on his person every day. But I would rather have a properly loaded 9mm than a baseball bat.

My guess is that @Ura-Ki is saying something is better than nothing. I know him well enough that he wouldn't face an angry bear with a 9mm either. For god sake he carries a 10mm on his person every day. But I would rather have a properly loaded 9mm than a baseball bat.
I still think as staff members you have a duty to help answer a members question with an informed opinion. He was asking what he should get if his 30-06 is not enough. I would rather have his quality 30-06 rifle than a 9mm against a bear to protect children.

I still think as staff members you have a duty to help answer a members question with an informed opinion. He was asking what he should get if his 30-06 is not enough. I would rather have his quality 30-06 rifle than a 9mm against a bear to protect children.

I see your point but on the flip side we are mods and are here as individuals that love guns. As we all know all individuals have different opinions. We as humans will always give the best answer as we see fit. That doesn't mean that everyone will agree with said advice. It is each persons own responsibility to do the research and find what is the best fit for them as far as guns and training is concerned.

My opinion is mine alone, and agree or not, it's up to each member to take it as it's given! I have hunted and killed bears large and small since 1984 and while a .30/06 is awesome, like I posted, IT MUST BE SLICK HANDLING/RUNNING AND MUST HAVE GOOD FAST IRONS! This applies to ALL Rifles and Shotguns! IF that's all the OP has, then that's what he is going to have to work with! As I also Posted, a Slick Lever action would be better, and a Semi best! I left off Shotguns as that gets into a whole n'other set of issues!

Having faced off with a BIG Charging Bruin 4 times, ( 3 having been shot well) I can tell you, speed, reliability and accuracy are MUST HAVES!

As I also posted, the O.P's bear Wasn't a large one ( About triple the body weight of a German Sheppard), and while dangerous, a good 9 mm pistol would be appropriate at the minimum, again, as that's what a large percent of the population carries and shoots, not a bad option! I also posted a .45 auto as being even better and 10 mm auto being best ( In a semi auto pistol) and .44 Mag being best over all, although with limits of cylinder capacity!

Correct! Gotta be able to punch heavy bone to reach the heart/lungs! Most charging bears are going to be head down and that makes penetration all the more important and the head is now partly covering the vital zone! Even Rifle bullets need to be heavy and fast moving able to get through heavy bone!

My only point is that those with more experience share their knowledge. If your opinion is that a newbie needs to carry a 10mm that is great. I personally carry a .44 magnum S&W lightweight when in bear country near our Flagstaff property. I have never needed to shoot one of our bears with anything but my camera. I love seeing the bears in the wild and give them plenty of distance since they can really move fast when they want to. If a person has a lot of experience with the 30-06 then it could serve him well. If budget allows a handgun, then opinions on the type, caliber, ammunition, and method of carry could be useful in helping someone pick out what could best help him. It was never my intent to diminish your experience or opinion but to try to get it to apply to a different situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top