JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks to me like the bears that roam around Alaska's wilderness are wholly departed from Yogi Bear. Neither do they wear hats and collars with a necktie...

Iff'n in bear country, I would carry my 5 shot revolver in its chest rig.

460 XVR-04.jpg

460 XVR-02.jpg

460 XVR-01.jpg

460 XVR-03.jpg

Having hunted and killed black bears I can say that the following will kill a black bear :
.30-30
.30-06
.45-70
20 gauge slug...
12 gauge slug...
Various muzzleloaders in , .50 .54 and .62 caliber...
The above is what I have used when hunting black bear at various times and places
But...
There is a huge difference between hunting and killing a bear than killing a charging bear that is out to get you...

So to answer the OP's question will a .30-06 rifle work for stopping a black bear that is a threat..Yes.
Will the stereotypical hunting rifle in .30-06 be the best choice for this ...No

I say no 'cause for the situation outlined in the OP , the firearm needed , needs to be handy , quick and easy to use , as in easy like just thinking about it....
A "Stereotypical" .30-06 hunting rifle with its 2-7 or 3-9 scope is fine for most all around hunting..but makes for a slow handling rifle for close in fast shots...again not that one can't do this type of shooting with a rifle set up like this ....but I think that there are better choices...

A .30-06 set up with a wide open "peep sight" or a "express rifle " type of sight would be a better option for close fast shooting...
Also a rifle in .45-70 set up that way would be nice...
A pump shotgun in 12 gauge loaded with slugs , could fit this bill as well....
I suspect that number 1 or 00 buck would work too...but I have no personal experience with these loads on bear ...so I can not say for sure.

Looking over this thread , i see that I have repeated what some others have said...so maybe my post wasn't needed...
Just wanted to say what I have actually used and seen to have been proven to work.
Andy

DB Weiner

I just got off the phone with GLOCK and the guy said they can only recommend SAMMI spec, BUT, said, they do foul your barrel. He couldn't say if you could or couldn't if you know what I mean is the drift I got from him.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top