JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I changed out the grips on my SA 9mm from a set of Pachymar finger groove grips to a set of blue/black magwell bottom G10's.

1565202739445.png

In the process, I also changed out the SA arched ILS mainspring housing to an S&A arched magwell.
Immediately, the gun went from a buttery smooth cycling pattern to getting hung up with extremely gritty slide action.

The slide would actually hang up returning to battery as seen below.

1565202768115.png

For a minute, I thought that I must have damaged something or got some kind of metal filings or debris between the slide and the frame. I got all frustrated, and changed everything back to how it was before I started. The buttery smooth cycling returned.

This drove me nuts for two or three days. I've never had an instance where changing out grips or a MSH caused any type of malfunctions. Putting the grips on, they were a little tight against the magwell, but that was all I noticed.

Investigating a little further, I saw that the G10 grips were touching the extended slide release on this gun. Touching enough to put sufficient upward pressure on the slide stop to make it drag across the bottom edge of the slide.

1565202815582.png

Here is the contact mark from the slide stop when I took off the grips.

1565202854509.png

So, out comes the needle files and abrasive stones. Create a little relief where the slide stop comes to rest.

1565202894304.png

1565202923828.png

Now the slide stop drops enough to clear the bottom of the slide.

1565202966460.png

Thought I would share. Anyone else experience this?

Drove me nuts for a day or two until I got enough time to figure it out.

Z

I've had similar issues with g10 grips . The worst was using "new model" coonan g10 grips on an original coonan , but even that didn't take long once I realized the problem .
Unrelated , but are you not on the ODT ? I see you're in ATL ...

That's one of the most common issues with changing grips, not just G-10's but many! Different manufactures make different slide stops, and some interfere with the factory Browning/Colt design, so it's common to have to trim a little here and there in the left side grip to get it all to fit and function! Some times an Ambi safety will also hang up, again, different manufactures making non Browning/Colt spec parts is usually the cause!
Glad you figured it out, these things can be a real head scratcher some times! ;)

It is a slow day on southwestfirearms.com so I'm replaying some of the oldie but goodie threads.

Kudos to the OP for not only solving the problem but sharing the problem and solution with the forum.

That's what is great about our virtual neighborhood.

Had the same thing happen to me when I started putting extended slide releases on my 1911's except I noticed before shooting the gun that the grip needed a trimming

Did you get lucky with a drop-in slide release just working or did you hafta get out the file & make it fit right?

Put enough of them in & you'll see what I'm talking about

I have to ask if these makers of aftermarket parts ever do any live-fire, fit & function testing of the stuff they put on the market and for which they charge an arm and a leg to purchase...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top