JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went with a friend to cut firewood, and commented that I had to clean my pocket carried gun more often because of all the sawdust and grit.
He shows his CW9 pistol and said "I only clean it when it needs cleaning". His gun is about 5 years old and looks thrashed! It was filthy.
So I asked some other friends that I know carry every day. They are Retired LEO, Retired Military, a Game warden and a Rail Road cop.
The consensus is that I'm the only one who cleans on a weekly basis.
I had a hard time believing that So I'm asking on other forums to see if my small sample is just an outlier, or its just me.

if I have not shot my carry guns I wipe them down every week with an oil cloth and then with a clean one to pick up any oil left behind . If they have been shot they get cleaned right away. and every couple years they get a full detail strip and clean. At that time I change out springs, firing pins, and any other wear parts.
So what do you all do? Thanks DR

I used to mostly ignore the dirt encrusted filth that was my everyday carry piece, until one day at the range when I just happened to pull it out & give ol' crusty a try & it fired a couple of times & started jamming up on all that crud.

I was shocked & now clean it at least monthly

Last Edited:
I'm shocked at how many don't clean on a regular schedule. I posted this on several boards I read, and most clean yearly or so... Mine, even the one in my desk drawer gets a wipe down every weekend. If I have shot them gets a full clean. DR

Like Bill above I learned the hard way, my EDC was pocket carried. I now check my IWB carry guns once a Quarter, and my pocket carry once every four to six weeks. Wiping down and a quick bore snake is all I usually do, but its surprising how much lubrication seems missing, I see the need for re-lube often.

I pick one a week to be cleaned and oiled. I don't clean religiously, but my EDC sidearm is ready to go, checked about once every two weeks with live fire.

I carry a glock 23 gen 4 for my job. I clean and grease the slide weekly with some lithium grease. Once per week I get all the crevices with q-tips and re-grease. If I need to use it I do my part to make sure it functions properly

Mine gets a weekly pocket lint inspection. I use a soft toothbrush to knock stuff out of the grip screw heads and other nooks and crannies then I wipe it down.

I have a can of this on the shelf. So after shooting cpl days ago tried it in the Taurus g2c 40. Did a great job. Put one of those little red tubes on it that come with aerosols downloadfile.jpg

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top