JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When you go to the range.... how many firearms do you take with you?

Occasionallly I will go with just a couple of handguns.
Other times I'll take 4 or 5 rifles and another 4 or 5 handguns.
Sometimes it looks like a yard sale.

<broken image removed>

I bring out all my own targets I want to shoot, folding chair, table, cooler, EZ-up for shade. You know, too much stuff!

<broken image removed>
<broken image removed>

Most times I shoot at silhouettes for handguns and will setup separate box targets at 100yds and 200yds. I also love to bring out water filled gatorade or liter sized water bottles. I'll place them out in the desert more or less like an easter egg hunt. The goal is to go from bottle to bottle popping them in rapid succession. I put them from 25 to 100 yds. Sometimes I'll shoot at them with handguns, but usually it'll be with red-dot equipped ARs. Those aren't too accurate past 100 yds anyway. I have to use some magnification if I want to shoot past 100 yds..... because I'm old and blind! LOL

<broken image removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally I only take one handgun with me to the range if I want to shoot something else I Just walk about 65 feet to the house and get something else also it is indoors so the weather is no problem. ;);)

:D
When you go to the range.... how many firearms do you take with you?

Occasionallly I will go with just a couple of handguns.
Other times I'll take 4 or 5 rifles and another 4 or 5 handguns.
Sometimes it looks like a yard sale.

<broken image removed>

I bring out all my own targets I want to shoot, folding chair, table, cooler, EZ-up for shade. You know, too much stuff!

<broken image removed>
<broken image removed>

Most times I shoot at silhouettes for handguns and will setup separate box targets at 100yds and 200yds. I also love to bring out water filled gatorade or liter sized water bottles. I'll place them out in the desert more or less like an easter egg hunt. The goal is to go from bottle to bottle popping them in rapid succession. I put them from 25 to 100 yds. Sometimes I'll shoot at them with handguns, but usually it'll be with red-dot equipped ARs. Those aren't too accurate past 100 yds anyway. I have to use some magnification if I want to shoot past 100 yds..... because I'm old and blind! LOL

<broken image removed>

I find that your black plastic weaponry has, oddly, given me wood!
:D
Since I live 80 miles from my range I tend to take a lot of guns and gear! Usually a half dozen pistols and revolvers, 2-3 .22RF rifles, 3-4 center fire rifles or shotguns!
I always shoot my carry guns too! Targets, tools, gongs and clays.
We always bring a case of diet grapefruit sodas, well shaken and as warm as possible! They really erupt when hit and, hey, they're diet grapefruit, they deserve to die!!! :eek::cool::confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I take either a rifle (only have the 30-06 now) and a carbine (.357, or .30 Carbine), or two handguns (.357 magnum, .38 +P, or .44 magnum). I hate going from the handgun range to the rifle range. I set up once and shoot what I need to accomplish that day.

Too many! At least that's what I think after I get home and sit down to clean them all :D

If I haven't shot in a while I usually take a bunch, but honestly I find the best days are the ones where I focus on a particular type. My buddies and I will have AR day, .22 day, shotgun day, etc. which we'll specify beforehand. I think this is a better way to go since it allows us to spend more time with each gun rather than a mag or two through 15 different guns.

<broken image removed>
<broken image removed>

To anyone who hasn't built targets like this, I highly recommend you do!

Last Edited:
Too many! At least that's what I think after I get home and sit down to clean them all :D

If I haven't shot in a while I usually take a bunch, but honestly I find the best days are the ones where I focus on a particular type. My buddies and I will have AR day, .22 day, shotgun day, etc. which we'll specify beforehand. I think this is a better way to go since it allows us to spend more time with each gun rather than a mag or two through 15 different guns.
To anyone who hasn't built targets like this, I highly recommend you do!

Sometimes I do in fact bring too many to concentrate very well on a single weapon. The one thing I always do every time is put 100 rounds through whatever I have been carrying lately, or plan on carrying the next week. I wish I could get all of them to have the same feel and break to the triggers, but that's not possible.

My PVC plastic target stands have held up quite well considering how many rounds have been shot at them. My kids or their friends have done the most damage to them. Sometimes a "guest" will come out with us that hasn't shot in years. They are hard on things too. Hahaha Luckily - the individual parts are easy to replace. The wooden 1x2 verticals are what mainly get destroyed. When you bring your targets to the range after making them, you also remember to take them home with you! LOL

Sometimes I do in fact bring too many to concentrate very well on a single weapon. The one thing I always do every time is put 100 rounds through whatever I have been carrying lately, or plan on carrying the next week. I wish I could get all of them to have the same feel and break to the triggers, but that's not possible.

My PVC plastic target stands have held up quite well considering how many rounds have been shot at them. My kids or their friends have done the most damage to them. Sometimes a "guest" will come out with us that hasn't shot in years. They are hard on things too. Hahaha Luckily - the individual parts are easy to replace. The wooden 1x2 verticals are what mainly get destroyed. When you bring your targets to the range after making them, you also remember to take them home with you! LOL

I'm the same way in regard to the carry weapon, I always try to put at least a couple mags through my Glock 19. It's not the gun I like best or the one I'm most accurate with but I won't be heartbroken if I ever have to surrender it.

The cost of those target stands is one of their best features. I think I spent less than $20 for the two or three I have. Like you said, they do get destroyed, but cleaning up the pieces is simple and the wood is biodegradable :s0155:

I'm the same way in regard to the carry weapon, I always try to put at least a couple mags through my Glock 19. It's not the gun I like best or the one I'm most accurate with but I won't be heartbroken if I ever have to surrender it.

The cost of those target stands is one of their best features. I think I spent less than $20 for the two or three I have. Like you said, they do get destroyed, but cleaning up the pieces is simple and the wood is biodegradable :s0155:

I was originally leaning towards "inexpensive" carry guns - in case I had to surrender one. Then I decided that my hide was worth the price difference, and I owed it to my family and myself to carry what I thought was best, over what was cheapest.

I was originally leaning towards "inexpensive" carry guns - in case I had to surrender one. Then I decided that my hide was worth the price difference, and I owed it to my family and myself to carry what I thought was best, over what was cheapest.

That makes sense. I'm personally not a fantastic shot, but I'm probably best with my full size all-steel 1911's. Size, weight, and capacity also factored into my Glock choice.

"Inexpensive" and "cheap" aren't necessarily the same thing. Fact is, I've seen my share of 'expensive' guns suffer problems. Kimbers come to mind, amoung others. For me, I want to carry what I trust to work, every time. It's a bonus if that can happen at half the price of more expensive guns. Just seems to me, in the gun world, more $$ doesn't always guarantee more reliability.

My daily carry is just under $500. Close to 2,000 rounds so far, not a single failure of any kind. Taken it through 2 defensive handgun courses without a hitch. I trust my life to it. That said, as Joe mentioned, I wouldn't have heartache over surrendering it after a shoot.

That makes sense. I'm personally not a fantastic shot, but I'm probably best with my full size all-steel 1911's. Size, weight, and capacity also factored into my Glock choice.

I'm a good shot at cardboard or bottles that aren't shooting back.
I'm under no false pretense that my shot groupings would be any good under stressful or battle conditions.
But I'm sure they would be better than if I never trained at all.
I would have a difficult time concealing a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag.....
So I have to carry little ones. LOL

"Inexpensive" and "cheap" aren't necessarily the same thing. Fact is, I've seen my share of 'expensive' guns suffer problems. Kimbers come to mind, amoung others. For me, I want to carry what I trust to work, every time. It's a bonus if that can happen at half the price of more expensive guns. Just seems to me, in the gun world, more $$ doesn't always guarantee more reliability.

My daily carry is just under $500. Close to 2,000 rounds so far, not a single failure of any kind. Taken it through 2 defensive handgun courses without a hitch. I trust my life to it. That said, as Joe mentioned, I wouldn't have heartache over surrendering it after a shoot.

I didn't mean to sound like a gun snob.....
I just meant that I was willing to spend more than Hi-Point money to save my life.

I didn't mean to sound like a gun snob.....
I just meant that I was willing to spend more than Hi-Point money to save my life.

I didn't take it that you were, just wanted to bolster the case for the mid-price guns.

As for Hi-Point, I've owned one pistol and two carbines. I give the pistol high marks for accuracy and reliability (.45acp model), it was a very decent shooter, though not as blinged-out as @Joe Link's flashy pimp special ;)

I picture Joe walking the streets of Portland, Hi-Point on his hip all like:

image.jpeg

The carbines are even better though. My biggest gripe is the single stack magazines. But for the price, for folks that can't afford more, they are a great option for a home defense gun.

They are a decent investment. I'd really like to get one in .45acp. I understand you can make a small mod to allow you to use 1911 magazines.

That'd really increase their utility. Sure wish they'd take Glock mags :(

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top