JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife and I have had this discussion. The answer is vague because it is completely dependant on the situation. I mean honestly who wants to be around for a lengthy period of time say post nuclear war... not me. That's a damn nightmare I want no part of. Now say there is a serious bad storm does good deal of damage to the surrounding area but you have communication and the country as a whole is still functional a few weeks toughing it out is reasonable. If society is still intact that is one thing but society as we know it has collapsed and your every waking moment is going to be walking on eggshells in fear of death or slowly dying from some disease or elemental issue, well no thanks I'll pass. The idea or should I say the notion you are going to have a calm happy life off of survival foods stored and your personal seed bank...is a myth. One person can wreck that in seconds and you'll never be able to prepare for everything or defend everything.

When the obama hits the fan and I'm sure our orderly civilization has come to an end, I'll put an AR's muzzle in my mouth and end it all. Why continue to live in a civilization that's 100X worse than any Hollyweird movie can depict?

When the obama hits the fan and I'm sure our orderly civilization has come to an end, I'll put an AR's muzzle in my mouth and end it all. Why continue to live in a civilization that's 100X worse than any Hollyweird movie can depict?
I'm sure more people share your view than we imagine. However, few of them are as articulate as you in describing how they will turn off the lights.

Actually I'm not sure how many folks will agree with nvshooter, as I put him on ignore years ago
Let me clarify what I meant by my comment. I think many people the unprepared, those who think they are prepared but clearly are not ready to face the harsh realities of grid down life will quickly be overwhelmed with the endless challenges of survival and start considering an alternative way out. While it is impossible to ever predict who will and who won't make it because of a million variables, a vast majority will either die by elements, violence, or self inflicted means. I think it is fair to say the world today is populated with people who are less able to withstand hardships that our grandparents and before faced and soldiered on. Ultimately, the sick, the weak, those overwhelmed with the mentality of the situation are likely to be high at risk for suicide.

Interesting, but could you really do it ?
I can tell you having worked countless suicide events people find the will to do it despite what even those closest to them think. All one needs for proof is to look at the data over the last 10 yrs and see the off the scale increase in suicide rate of all age groups. It is increasing at a rate faster than any time in history.

Interesting, but could you really do it?
No way to really know that until the time comes. If there's hunger and homelessness, marauding bands of violent people who will kill you for your shoelaces, sickness and general decay of society the old saying about the living envying the dead may very well apply. Look at the images from Ukraine; look at the shattered buildings, no food, no water, no electricity. The Ukrainians fled to Poland. There is no place to where Americans can flee. We are already at the Last Frontier. Putting a bullet into my own head may very well be the only avenue of escape available to me...

No way to really know that until the time comes. If there's hunger and homelessness, marauding bands of violent people who will kill you for your shoelaces, sickness and general decay of society the old saying about the living envying the dead may very well apply. Look at the images from Ukraine; look at the shattered buildings, no food, no water, no electricity. The Ukrainians fled to Poland. There is no place to where Americans can flee. We are already at the Last Frontier. Putting a bullet into my own head may very well be the only avenue of escape available to me...
I understand that.

The stuff I've strategically stored, healthily, I could live off of forever. I don't have enough to live off of forever, I'm just saying nutritionally I could eat it for years and not be sick.

On the other hand, I have about 2 years worth of 3 persons 3x a day MRE style dehydrated meals that are obviously high in sodium and other bad things that are not great to consume on a daily basis for X amount of time.

I think if i didn't die in combat or a natural disaster, my family and i would probably die of a heart attack or stroke before we got to the end of the 2 year supply

I will not last more than a few weeks, unless I can get to the compound where my friends will be. I am convinced that if SHTF comes, you can either hide or you can join a group and have others pick up some of the slack. It will not be pretty.

I think the shock of any catastrophic event that alters our everyday life will be far more than most people can deal with even those who think they are prepared for it. The loss of services, illness, injury and the mental stress of daily living with death ever prevalent will drive many into making mistakes or poor choices that they cannot recover from. I honestly think 2 weeks in a city environment a few more in a rural area might be feasible, beyond that the threat of desperate mob action is going to be truly nightmarish. Friends and neighbors will turn in desperate times and history has shown any group no matter how strong of bond eventually turns on itself once things get hard. Quite frankly the outlook of a world where after 2 weeks and realizing that there's no help, society as we know it is over is such a bleak thing to face many survivors will turn to deep sleeping themselves versus facing an ever difficult life of fighting, food and environmental struggle. We are not the grizzled tough skin people who settled the nation and were used to dealing with challenges to survive.

I think the shock of any catastrophic event that alters our everyday life will be far more than most people can deal with even those who think they are prepared for it. The loss of services, illness, injury and the mental stress of daily living with death ever prevalent will drive many into making mistakes or poor choices that they cannot recover from. I honestly think 2 weeks in a city environment a few more in a rural area might be feasible, beyond that the threat of desperate mob action is going to be truly nightmarish. Friends and neighbors will turn in desperate times and history has shown any group no matter how strong of bond eventually turns on itself once things get hard. Quite frankly the outlook of a world where after 2 weeks and realizing that there's no help, society as we know it is over is such a bleak thing to face many survivors will turn to deep sleeping themselves versus facing an ever difficult life of fighting, food and environmental struggle. We are not the grizzled tough skin people who settled the nation and were used to dealing with challenges to survive.
This! ^^^

As far as the illness side of things it's pretty crazy how many people I know that prep and have tons of food ammo essentials etc but look at me confused when I ask if they're stocking up on antibiotics and antibacterials

Interesting, but could you really do it?
My best friend from high school committed suicide in October 2022; shot himself in the right forehead with a .357 revolver. He and I were tight buds for 47-plus years; since July 3, 1975. It was he whom got me into trucking. I was told by his wife that he was a bi-polar depressive, or some such word salad used to describe being a nutcase. I never had any inkling that he was unstable in any way. He wanted to divorce his third wife (whom was his girlfriend in '75-76), but feared she'd wipe him out in Bankruptcy Court. He had two sons in their 30s from previous marriages. He wanted to leave his money to his kids-- not to his wife. I suspect he killed himself to avoid the Court giving his life's earnings to his current wife. I may be wrong, but I don't believe a wife can sue a deceased husband for his wealth. How would the deceased defend himself? This is how an associate of Sick Willy Klantoon and Himmlery Rotten Klantoon was found to be Not Guilty of any involvement with the crimes committed by the Klantoon Crime Syndicate. The name of the decedent escapes me at this moment. Rush Limbaugh announced the verdict on his radio show, so I know someone involved with the Klantoons had expired.

". . . could you really do it?" In an abstract way of thinking about it, all it would take is to have the courage long enough to place the muzzle against the body where the bullet would do the most damage and squeeze the trigger. Gunfire is loud, so close to the ear. Maybe it's that noise that scares possible suicide victims away from completing the mission. I don't know...

I suspect a Communist would be able to do it easier than would a Roman Catholic. We Catholics believe in God, and we believe that to pre-empt God's decision as to when He will take us from this life is a mortal sin. Communists do not believe in God, so I'd think they'd have no problem with offing themselves-- or any others who might be in the vicinity. Like his kids or his wife. Or his friends. Or his superiors at his job.

I read decades ago that Ann Landers said, "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem." I have often thought about how correct she was. Had my friend thought of that, he might still be with us. He liked handguns, ARs and long-range target shooting with his Bergara .308Win rifle. He lived in Stockton, but really enjoyed coming to Nevada and going shooting on the thousands of wide-open desert acres we have here. No fences, no gates, no NO TRESPASSING signs, no bullschiff about the color of your rifle, no bullschiff about whether or not your rifle had a "protruding pistol grip," a bayonet lug or a "barrel shroud." The open land is why I moved here from northern Virginia in 2004. I've lived here for nineteen years, and never want to live anywhere else...

Last Edited:
My best friend from high school committed suicide in October 2022; shot himself in the right forehead with a .357 revolver. He and I were tight buds for 47-plus years; since July 3, 1975. It was he whom got me into trucking. I was told by his wife that he was a bi-polar depressive, or some such word salad used to describe being a nutcase. I never had any inkling that he was unstable in any way. He wanted to divorce his third wife (whom was his girlfriend in '75-76), but feared she'd wipe him out in Bankruptcy Court. He had two sons in their 30s from previous marriages. He wanted to leave his money to his kids-- not to his wife. I suspect he killed himself to avoid the Court giving his life's earnings to his current wife. I may be wrong, but I don't believe a wife can sue a deceased husband for his wealth. How would the deceased defend himself? This is how an associate of Sick Willy Klantoon and Himmlery Rotten Klantoon was found to be Not Guilty of any involvement with the crimes committed by the Klantoon Crime Syndicate. The name of the decedent escapes me at this moment. Rush Limbaugh announced the verdict on his radio show, so I know someone involved with the Klantoons had expired.

". . . could you really do it?" In an abstract way of thinking about it, all it would take is to have the courage long enough to place the muzzle against the body where the bullet would do the most damage and squeeze the trigger. Gunfire is loud, so close to the ear. Maybe it's that noise that scares possible suicide victims away from completing the mission. I don't know...

I suspect a Communist would be able to do it easier than would a Roman Catholic. We Catholics believe in God, and we believe that to pre-empt God's decision as to when He will take us from this life is a mortal sin. Communists do not believe in God, so I'd think they'd have no problem with offing themselves-- or any others who might be in the vicinity. Like his kids or his wife. Or his friends. Or his superiors at his job.

I read decades ago that Ann Landers said, "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem." I have often thought about how correct she was. Had my friend thought of that, he might still be with us. He liked handguns, ARs and long-range target shooting with his Bergara .308Win rifle. He lived in Stockton, but really enjoyed coming to Nevada and going shooting on the thousands of wide-open desert acres we have here. No fences, no gates, no NO TRESPASSING signs, no bullschiff about the color of your rifle, no bullschiff about whether or not your rifle had a "protruding pistol grip," a bayonet lug or a "barrel shroud." The open land is why I moved here from northern Virginia in 2004. I've lived here for nineteen years, and never want to live anywhere else...
I'm not completely sure I'm following the line of logic in your post. Suicide happens far more than is reported, for reasons we will never understand or even be aware of and by unlimited methods. Society tries to look at that aftermath of any event and put together pieces they "think" explains the reasoning of action but more than not they are just guessing and come to the wrong conclusion. Suicide is painful to the survivors, figures show it's increasing at an exponential rate world wide and it's very very unlikely despite our best attempts to solve the rationale behind it we likely never will. Endless debates on what drives it, what can prevent it all have yielded no significant results. We are mortal and although we blame others for our problems we ourselves are our own worst enemy. We are a fantastic creation of bio-engineered cells but ultimately a 3 pound chuck of electrical nerves controls the out come of everything. As society becomes less fearful of the question of what happens after we die.....the more people will take the unnatural ending of life.

Survival of the fittest and not the kindest, or gentlest eh?

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top