How long do you expect to live off of 'Stored' food goods?

Messages
152
Reactions
140
Realistically, how long do you expect to live off of 'Stored' food goods ? I suspect there are short term, long term and VERY long term scenarios. Essentially, how long do you think you can live off of your stored food goods ?
 
I think a lot of this depends on where you live and what sort of natural disasters you could face.

For instance living in the PNW we could be faced with a catastrophic earth quake. In that scenario I am thinking we would need about six months worth of food and water stored up.

Stores would get looted and emptied quick and I am sure it will be a long time before any kind or help would come from outside sources. Once the stores are picked clean you will want the ability to protect your belongings and loved ones as people will eventually figure out you have something and come looking.
 
Messages
63
Reactions
71
I would say a long time but here is why: I would drive my boat up to my parent's vacation house which is on an island with only a single bridge to access it. There is also Indian Island Naval Magazine right by the bridge. There are lots of deer on the island and TONS of fish in the sound. There is also a dock a mile away from the house on the island. I would use mean and fish to mix in with certain foods such as rice, pasta, etc.
 
The boat also has a water maker which can provide water if the city water has an issue. There is also a marina with a fuel dock and a 1,000,000 gallon tank so I can get extra boat fuel there.
That sounds amazing when are we going? :D

On the natural disaster side always consider those things not being there. What if the marina blows up or the dock floats away with the boat tied to it. :eek: I totally agree with you that there is hunting a fishing to add to your stores but I would rather plan for the worse and hope for the best.;)
 
Messages
63
Reactions
71
That sounds amazing when are we going? :D

On the natural disaster side always consider those things not being there. What if the marina blows up or the dock floats away with the boat tied to it. :eek: I totally agree with you that there is hunting a fishing to add to your stores but I would rather plan for the worse and hope for the best.;)
The dock is set with 30 wooden poles about 2 feet thick that go 30 feet into the ground and are secured by concrete. The dock has 1'' steel U brackets that attach to the dock on both sides and wrap around the poles. The marina is in a very sheltered area of an already sheltered bay and the current goes inward so it would just drift onto shore of get hunt up on one of the mooring balls.
IMG_1304.PNG
IMG_1305.PNG
 
Messages
63
Reactions
71
Just clicked on the pics. I love Port Townsend! :D We used to go boating up there once in while when I was a kid.
It is a great area! Can't figure out how to fish too well there though. Biggest thing caught was a sculpin @SparksFly caught and released that he was hitting himself about when he found out the Staghorn Sculpin record size for WA is .74 lbs. His sculpin was about 14 inches long.
 
Messages
355
Reactions
461
If you know about it many many other people know about it - hopefully you have a good multi person defense strategy in place.

On current supplies 72 hours is what I can pull off right now. I don't want my neighbors thinking I am a supply source, so I keep incoming storage items concealed in regular groceries, and water jugs filled at odd times/ intervals, preferably brought in when the rest of the "hood" is asleep. Chances of neighbors banding together in time of crisis, about 5%. Chance of looting and complete disorder - 95%.
 
Messages
355
Reactions
461
Also - last time I was in Port Townsend was in 1988, coming back from WestPac. It was also my exact 21st birthday. I think there was 5 bars in the town at that time and I managed to get thrown out of three of them. The party was epic, with one LT and a few Chiefs getting in trouble.
 
Messages
885
Reactions
1,446
If TSHTF.....
We're good for about 30 days. Of course that's doing without extras that we normally take for granted, but we could shelter in place for that long. It wouldn't be comfortable or convenient, but we'd survive.

As for neighbors banding together? I have one single neighbor that would most likely partner-up for mutual aid and defense. The rest of them would most likely join the looters or become the victims.
 
Messages
63
Reactions
71
Sparky, what is a "water maker"? How does it work? Im guessing some kind of condenser to remove salt..
What a watermaker does is intake water (fresh or salt) and using reverse osmosis, it preassurizes the water to about 800 psi. It uses that pressure to push the water through a semi-permeable membrane, which allows some water to pass through but not salt, grit, or viruses. The water that makes it through is now clean, salt-free, and ready to drink. A standard RO watermaker puts out a 1:10 ratio, or 10% freshwater to 90% brine, which is discharged overboard. For a good quality, medium-craft, watermaker, they will run anywhere from $6,000 all the way up to $18,000 and will put out anywhere from 200 to 1,000 gallons per day. A Commercial one will run from $18,000 all the way to $100,000 for large ones and will put out 1,800+ gallons per day. Here are a few:
Recreational (for medium craft):
VILLAGE MARINE TEC LTM-500 Watermaker, 500 GPD, Modular, 110/1/60/18 V/Hz/Amp | West Marine
Commercial:
VILLAGE MARINE TEC LT-1800 Watermaker, 1800GPD, Semi-Modular, 220/60/12 V/Hz/Amp | West Marine
And the big guns:
<removed broken link>

Hope that helps.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you know about it many many other people know about it - hopefully you have a good multi person defense strategy in place.

On current supplies 72 hours is what I can pull off right now. I don't want my neighbors thinking I am a supply source, so I keep incoming storage items concealed in regular groceries, and water jugs filled at odd times/ intervals, preferably brought in when the rest of the "hood" is asleep. Chances of neighbors banding together in time of crisis, about 5%. Chance of looting and complete disorder - 95%.
This is really important.
 

UPCOMING EVENTS

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Davis County Fairgrounds
151 S 1100 W, Farmington, UT 84025, USA
Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Centennial Hall
263 N Center St, Mesa, AZ 85201, USA
Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Findlay Toyota Center
3201 Main St, Prescott Valley, AZ 86314, USA
Top Bottom