JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It makes sense to insulate the affected family member from access to weapons. It doesn't have to include sale, disbursal or removal, but should include the possibility of a combination locked safe or room, whatever would be sufficient to keep the weapons away from someone who might have a non-lucid event. It could even be done over a period of time so as to not alert the afflicted person to the changes, or push them into an episode.

Dementia or Alzheimers are insidious, and the effects to anyone nearby are stressful, too, but safety needs to be an additional and primary concern. A neighbor snapped one night, woke up in a frenzy, retrieved a .357 revolver and threatened/terrorized his wife for several hours before she was able to contact 911 and a hostage team was able to talk him down with no one being injured. He was institutionalized and passed several months later. Sure, this was a random event, but its always possible when someone has almost NO control over anything they do.

Minor clarification: Alzheimer's and dementia terms are not interchangeable! (similar concept HIV & AIDs not interchangable, e.g., AIDs is but a 'symptom' of someone infected with HIV, further, nobody dies from AIDs per se., nor from dementia or Alzheimer's or other neurodevelopmental issues.)

1. Alzheimer's is classified as a disease while dementia is considered a symptom of neurocognitive disorder(s) normally manifesting itself in late life, aka elderly; or from Huntington's or Parkinson's disease patients.

2. The term neurocognitive disorder is widely used and often preferred for conditions affecting younger individuals, such as impairment secondary to traumatic brain injury or HIV infection.

Now back to the PBS' BS, quote:
Around half of all Americans older than 65 live in a home with a firearm. And one in three senior citizens dies with some form of dementia. By one estimate, by 2050, as many as 12 million people with dementia may live in homes with guns. unquote

Thirty years from now almost anything might occur but of interest 20 years ago the CDC was jumping up and down about American's heart disease and lo and behold those death statistics have gone down across our country's citizens, only to be replaced by another 'sky is falling' ailment or malady of significant concern, today!

The PBS reporter took the Alzheimer's Foundation self-promoting material and melded it into a gun newspeek article for their own benefit to get publicity from the antis.

Minor clarification: Alzheimer's and dementia terms are not interchangeable! (similar concept HIV & AIDs not interchangable, e.g., AIDs is but a 'symptom' of someone infected with HIV, further, nobody dies from AIDs per se., nor from dementia or Alzheimer's or other neurodevelopmental issues.)

Hey Mr knowitall, you need to learn how to read my statement which clearly states " Dementia or Alzheimers are insidious". I didn't state that the terms are interchangeable, as you seem to think.

Then of course you continue to not respond to the point of my posting, you just go ahead and spout. You do that all the time!

The fact that my neighbor died was as a result of the effects of Alzheimers, which by the way caused the death of my mother, mother in law and aunt, as was noted on their death certificates.

Terribly sorry targetshooter about your familial deaths but, truth of the matter, quote:
Can you die from dementia?
The simple answer, Alzheimer's does not kill a person directly.
Some people might think or believe that Alzheimer's causes brain death. In other words, it causes the complete brain to stop functioning.
This is not true.

Here ya go, read it yourself from the 2017 article from the Alzheimer's reading room:
Death by Complications from Alzheimer's, What does this mean? - Alzheimer's Reading Room

BTW, one hopes since by your own admission you might be susceptible or have a familial genetic predisposition for development of neurocognitive disorders one hopes you are engaging in preventive measures to mitigate the onset of the neurocognitive issues.

As for your neighbour's delusional grabbing a firearm event, sorry, the neighbour was not responsible especially since neurocognition disorders are not sudden onset and there are not 'events' per se., as such the family members living with them, apparently were in denial anout their loved one's disorder's progress/condition and they did not take appropriate action to secure the firearm(s).

Since those suffers can live upwards to twenty years the individual apparently was in an extreme late stage of their neurocognitive disorder, especially 'since they died several months later!'

Blame the family caregivers not the disorder!

I have had several clients hire me over the years to install window locks and deadbolts that are keyed from both sides in order to keep these type folks trapped in their homes, very sad stuff but how else to keep them safe?

The neurocognitive disorders destroy many human's end of life expectations which are imagined spent in retirement with loved ones around.

The sad fact of life is there is no specific test today that confirms you have Alzheimer's disease. Further, there is no specific cause for these disorders [exception to that statement, stroke, infraction, and head trauma] therefore every alternative pushed on www is speculative at best.

Unfortunately, these disorders are actually worst on their individual's caregivers who must watch their loved ones slowly slip into their own world and finally pass.

Terribly sorry targetshooter about your familial deaths but, truth of the matter, quote:
Can you die from dementia?
The simple answer, Alzheimer's does not kill a person directly.
Some people might think or believe that Alzheimer's causes brain death. In other words, it causes the complete brain to stop functioning.
This is not true.

Here ya go, read it yourself from the 2017 article from the Alzheimer's reading room:
Death by Complications from Alzheimer's, What does this mean? - Alzheimer's Reading Room

BTW, one hopes since by your own admission you might be susceptible or have a familial genetic predisposition for development of neurocognitive disorders one hopes you are engaging in preventive measures to mitigate the onset of the neurocognitive issues.

As for your neighbour's delusional grabbing a firearm event, sorry, the neighbour was not responsible especially since neurocognition disorders are not sudden onset and there are not 'events' per se., as such the family members living with them, apparently were in denial anout their loved one's disorder's progress/condition and they did not take appropriate action to secure the firearm(s).

Since those suffers can live upwards to twenty years the individual apparently was in an extreme late stage of their neurocognitive disorder, especially 'since they died several months later!'

Blame the family caregivers not the disorder!

you still don't know how to read, THE AFFECTS OF ALZHEIMERS is not the same as ALZHEIMERS. THERE IS A DIAGNOSIS OF ALZHEIMERS, unlike your incorrect statement, as each of my three
family members were diagnosed with it, some also with dementia, and they all died from the affects, as stated on their DEATH CERTIFICATES.

Stop foaming at the mouth if you haven't directly experienced what is being discussed. You do it ALL THE TIME, BY CONTINUALLY CHANGING THE SUBJECT.

you still don't know how to read, THE AFFECTS OF ALZHEIMERS is not the same as ALZHEIMERS. THERE IS A DIAGNOSIS OF ALZHEIMERS, unlike your incorrect statement, as each of my three
family members were diagnosed with it, some also with dementia, and they all died from the affects, as stated on their DEATH CERTIFICATES.

Stop foaming at the mouth if you haven't directly experienced what is being discussed. You do it ALL THE TIME, BY CONTINUALLY CHANGING THE SUBJECT.

Yes, of course targetshooter you are correct, but could you perhaps clarify something from webmd site for me:

Quote: Doctors can't definitely diagnose Alzheimer's disease until after death, when they can closely examine the brain under a microscope! Unquote. Making the Diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease

As for me, your recurrent theme of 'know it all' or 'haven't directly experienced what is being discussed' or whatever rant you believe is appropriate towards me this time, is fine, but did you possibly consider there are other members who read your posts and might, just might, misconstrued what you state in your post as correct?

For example, as explained, dementia is a causal factor in normal aging processes verses the abnormal amyloid plaques which build up in some individuals brains believed to cause Alzheimer's. Two different neurocognitive disorder.

Been genetically screened yet?

As for me, your recurrent theme of 'know it all' or 'haven't directly experienced what is being discussed' or whatever rant you believe is appropriate towards me this time, is fine, but did you possibly consider there are other members who read your posts and might, just might, misconstrued what you state in your post as correct?

you're the only one flapping your gums! or maybe the READ AND UNDESTAND better than you. or maybe they don't feel the need to be as argumentative as you when they don't have the experiences or facts, JUST AS WHEN 3 DIFFERENT DOCTORS FOR THREE DIFFERENT PATIENTS PROVIDE A DIAGNOSIS FOR AN AFFLICTION.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, I'M DONE WASTING MY TIME.

You can keep on misreading, misinterpreting, mischaracterizing all you want. You're an intractable know it all, either by chance or by choice, with no practical experience with certain subjects. Enjoy life as you know it

HAVE YOU BEEN SCREENED?

you're the only one flapping your gums! or maybe the READ AND UNDESTAND better than you. or maybe they don't feel the need to be as argumentative as you when they don't have the experiences or facts, JUST AS WHEN 3 DIFFERENT DOCTORS FOR THREE DIFFERENT PATIENTS PROVIDE A DIAGNOSIS FOR AN AFFLICTION.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, I'M DONE WASTING MY TIME.

You can keep on misreading, misinterpreting, mischaracterizing all you want. You're an intractable know it all, either by chance or by choice, with no practical experience with certain subjects. Enjoy life as you know it

HAVE YOU BEEN SCREENED?

Fortunately targetshooter, my immediate familial ancestors have not experienced any type of neurocognitive disorder(s) in late life but rather seem to gave a genetic predisposition towards 'normal' life malignancy, but thanks for asking!

As mentioned previously targetshooter, are you ok as you seem to be still exhibiting extreme agitation and erratic uncharacteristic behaviour in your postings out here.

Please have a good 4th.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top