JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since I live in Lake Havasu City I store my ammo on shelves in an
air conditioned hobby room. This keeps the heat and humidity to a minimum. I reload rifle, pistol, and shotgun so I wanted to keep all the powder cool. It is impossible to get an answer as to what is the highest temperature that is safe to store gun powder from the manufacturers. I found a old can of powder from the 1950's that stated 95 degrees was the highest temperature to store reloading powder. Does anybody have any current information that has tested proof to give a better answer? If so please advise with source of testing.

Since I live in Lake Havasu City I store my ammo on shelves in an
air conditioned hobby room. This keeps the heat and humidity to a minimum. I reload rifle, pistol, and shotgun so I wanted to keep all the powder cool. It is impossible to get an answer as to what is the highest temperature that is safe to store gun powder from the manufacturers. I found a old can of powder from the 1950's that stated 95 degrees was the highest temperature to store reloading powder. Does anybody have any current information that has tested proof to give a better answer? If so please advise with source of testing.

I doubt it matters whether the poweder is in a can, or a bullet case. I think once you load a round, the moisture content is fixed. Seating the bullet would be like closing the can. Here is the Army take ... Army Logistician (Preserving Readiness Through Ammunition Packaging) so it seems like they consider 160 °F is their upper temperature limit.

This is somewhat of a thread revival.

I store mine outside, shady north side of house in a job box. Job box is rain tight, ammo cans inside, some of it still in bulk packaging (cardboard). No problems for last 10 years, and I live in phoenix area. Some of it is stored inside the house at the loading bench.

I have always stored ammo, since I was a kid and got my first gun.
Dad told me I should set some aside in case there was a day I couldn't afford it or it wasn't around. Dad wasn't really a "prepper" per se, he had grown up post depression on a farm, and so some of his life lessons he passed on to me, in the form of being as self reliant, and having things that come in handy.
Anyway, I was already reloading and I had loaded 40 rounds in 1975. (I was 12) I hung on to that ammo until about 1998. At which time I removed my outer packaging (tape and cardboard) and shot the ammo in the gun I had stored it for. All of it shot just fine.
Ammo cans for controlling the atmosphere around the outside of the ammunition is priceless.
During the course of my life, I've shot ammo in excess of 50 years old. As long as the exterior is sound, it'll go bang.
This got me thinking. I was no longer a kid, (I was 35) and I could see the benefit for a deeper ammo storage plan. The though had grown from just being able to hunt for a while with my rifle, to I should have enough ammo to last me the life of my rifle. And it migrated to every firearm I own. The same thought process rolled to other things as well, where practical.

Although I doubt ill ever use allot of the things I have put up, it has been wonderful piece of mind knowing all these years I have had them, just in case. Another comforting though is hopefully it will all be left to other members of family should they have to live through something I didn't.
I've never experienced any "shortages" of anything when they hit, but I knew about them as they happened as I was actively rolling through my stock and replacing as I went. When I couldn't get something, I simply stopped rolling through it until I could buy more.

I vac seal fresh loaded Ammo, and pack it in ammo cans! I still have stuff from WW2, steel core Machinegun belted still stored in the original ammo cans, and it works just fine!
Yep, the Germans made ammo to last the full 1000 year Reich... I'm still shooting (very sparingly) German ball ammo in my Dad's bring-back K98k... it's 198 gr I think, and it has killed whitetail deer. Sellier&Bellot compares favorably. Ball does a number on flesh and bone.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top