JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One relatively unknown tool for stopping gun violence may soon get a lot more attention.

An Extreme Risk Protection Order (ERPO) empowers family members and police to take guns away from a person who may pose a danger to themselves or others. The person's access to firearms is blocked until they can demonstrate that the risk is over. Essentially, ERPOs are a temporary restraining order for guns.

As of now, only Washington, California, Connecticut and most recently Oregon have ERPO laws (while Indiana and Texas have modified risk warrant statutes). Over the past year, however, spurred by a string of mass shootings beginning with the Pulse Nightclub attack that killed 49 in June 2016, legislatures in 19 states and Washington, D.C., have taken up 32 separate ERPO bills for consideration, according to Everytown for Gun Safety, a nonprofit organization that advocates for gun control.

Everytown's deputy legal director, William Rosen, told ABC News that list will grow. "We expect to see at least as much interest in 2018," he said.

"There is a growing consensus," added Lauren Alfred of the gun violence prevention group Sandy Hook Promise, "that this is the first step we should be taking when we are talking about people who are at risk of hurting themselves or others."

Continue Reading: The tool that could help stop mass shootings

Vindictive family members are usually the worst to judge an older person who is chafing under "we know what is best for you" pressure. Kids who visit or talk to their elderly parent or grandparent once every 30 days are not looking for safety or well being so much as compliance (knuckling under) to the loss of freedoms. An ERPO must carry just the opposite of what Joe suggests: Rather than demonstrating the risk is over, any court order should require a demonstration that the person in question does represent a risk - requiring a restraining order. Plus, any statute must require that legal counsel is provided for the accused person.

The fastest way to get me pissed off would be to remove my firearms collection. They should know that after the storm I created when the morons delayed me 62 days from buying my latest rifle.

Emails and Phone calls to The BGC units supervisor Hired a lawyer emailed the local conservative radio talk show host Email and talked on the phone to the county sheriff, Emailed both my State Rep and Senator (who by the way got right on top of it and within a couple days the BGC was cleared and I had the rifle.)

I only wish I had thrown a fit sooner.

When this thread first came out it was a threat in search of a real problem.. How things have begun to change in just a few months with a whole new circuis full of clowns in the White House. I suspect there have already been a lot of "unfortunate fishing accidents with things disappearing into the lake" and more to come around the time of the mid-term elections. I know I "lost" a Glock 19 plus a rod and reel on one trip and then the replacement G26 during a winter storm when I was trying to shovel snow drifts near my place.. Of course, that one could still show up after the mud and water in the culverts finally dries out. I will be sure to drive out there to do a good search, complete with photographs of the area. Amazing how poorly some OWB holsters retain a gun sometimes.

Done some sole searching on this very subject. I have 5 acres of desert that has a lot of old metal in the ground. Remants of a stock corral from 1800's among other relics. I could be content to sit in the garage with the door open and look out over the desert drinking Jamison's as they chased their tails look for what?

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top