JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see two sides to this.

1 they should have already been provided a gun locker for their private weapon. I have worked in a "county jail" for over 20 years, and have never heard of Federal officers not having a gun locker provided to them.

2 They want to allow officers to carry their own guns on duty. I see several problems with that.
If they allow this how long will it be before you are required to provide your own weapon?
If there is a problem and I have run out of ammo or magazines, Who will I borrow from?
How long will it be before some newbie shows up for his shift with a HighPoint?
Currently if there is a problem and a gun is fired that gun is taken in as evidence. it might remain as evidence for years while it winds it's way through the courts. If the officer remains on duty, he checks out another gun from the armoury. What happens if it's a private gun?
Will the dept reimburse you for a replacement?

I just see this as needing some more thought! DR

That's odd...ADC has allowed COs to bring personal side arms on premises with restrictions, and to be locked into a gun locker under the watch of Traffic Control. I've been doing it for 16+ years. In fact, I was the one who finally changed policy to make the Dept to stop registering officers personal sidearms.
Now carrying my sidearm ON DUTY? Not a chance in hades. First, the number of COs that actually are carrying a sidearm on duty is very small, as handguns are NOT allowed inside the wire. Period. Our Tactical Teams do not carry sidearms inside the wire even in the most volatile disturbances. Officers on transports carry issue sidearms, and a few other places, but I would have absolutely no use whatsoever for my personal sidearm at work. I cannot imagine that any Corrections Dept would ever authorize carrying of personal firearms on duty, and I didn't see that mentioned in the news story.
Now the funny thing is Fed prisons tend to be very relaxed, not like rocking and rolling at Central Unit like I did. ;) White collar criminals. And yes, I carry off duty.

I see two sides to this.

1 they should have already been provided a gun locker for their private weapon. I have worked in a "county jail" for over 20 years, and have never heard of Federal officers not having a gun locker provided to them.

2 They want to allow officers to carry their own guns on duty. I see several problems with that.
If they allow this how long will it be before you are required to provide your own weapon?
If there is a problem and I have run out of ammo or magazines, Who will I borrow from?
How long will it be before some newbie shows up for his shift with a HighPoint?
Currently if there is a problem and a gun is fired that gun is taken in as evidence. it might remain as evidence for years while it winds it's way through the courts. If the officer remains on duty, he checks out another gun from the armoury. What happens if it's a private gun?
Will the dept reimburse you for a replacement?

I just see this as needing some more thought! DR
My brother in law would have gotten fired if he even left it in his car. Let alone walk into the front door. I'm not sure what other repercussions there would be. But it is a no questions asked termination with firearms at his prison

Yes - inmates clean the parking lots, never leave any weapons in your vehicle at work. Tools are allowed, but not if they are a knife - that gets locked up too.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top