JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My supply was running low so I bought a large package of "Hoppe's 9" Bulk Cotton Gun Cleaning Patches (500 count). The package says .38 to .45 caliber, but they don't fit in my .357 Ruger! These are linen-like with fuzzy edges.

I just called their 800 number and the guy said they will fit if I "wrap one around a brush" or other cleaning wand, with perhaps an extra twist if it's not thick enough (or something like that). He said the 500 count package has their new type patches, while the 40 count still has the older synthetic style, which is what I believe I had before. Anyway, I did a search and found the 40 packs at Dick's Sporting Goods, on Happy Valley in north Phoenix off I-17. Also at some online stores, but I want to have a look at hem before I buy.

I use two patches for double thickness with a brass slotted tip to clean my .357 S&W m19 bore. I'm thinking of getting a bore snake after ordering 500 bulk patches at Amazon and getting the cheaper synthetic style.

I've found that cutting-off two opposite corners to where the patch is maybe 1½ inches wide makes them go through the bore pretty well. A patch is very inexpensive. Bending a reluctant cleaning rod is much more costly. I used to use cleaning rods. I've gone to boresnakes, now. Much faster, and the tail of the thing behind the copper brushes is equal to 160-some patches-- or so say the makers of the boresnakes...

Thanks guys. I never thought of cutting the patch down for an easier pull. Also, I happen to have a new bore snake that I bought soon after I got my first gun. I just never used it. The online videos I watched early on seemed to favor patches so the snake stayed in its package. I use a brass bore brush to clean inside the barrel and the cylinders.

I just now watched a couple of how-to videos about using a bore snake and it seems to me that, while they seem to work very well, they miss three places that I think ought to be cleaned: the forcing cone area, the flat area behind the cylinder, and the front face of the cylinder itself. I use a brass brush (looks like and over sized tooth brush) dipped in solvent to clean these areas. Maybe that's obsessive but when I take it out of the holster, I do a safety check. I like that it looks clean and well cared for.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top