Welcome to Southwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Holster Recommendations for Running

Reactions
I live in a small town in southern AZ where i'm more likely to run into wildlife than a person with ill-intent when running. I want to carry when i run for both reasons though and am looking for suggestions on what works best. The culture here is used to seeing open carry so concealing is not a requirement. We quite literally see open carried guns every day. Belly holsters are not ideal, as my belly is simply too big at present; bigger than my hips so there would be no retention if i did that. I can wear around the hips or just above though. So far I have looked at shoulder rigs, bands that can be worn below the big belly like those at pistolwear.com, and tactical thigh holsters. I have carry pistols ranging in all sizes i could use but would prefer to carry my xd(m) .45 4.5 inch. I have slimmer/lighter options all the way down to a sig p38 .380. Does anybody else carry when they run? How do the thigh rigs compare to something like the pistolwear Trump card that can be worn as a shoulder rig?

Reactions
Welcome to the forum...
Couple of things, i presume you will be wearing ‘running’ clothes, e.g. nylon shorts w/elastic waist band?

Further, to have a large or ang handgun ‘banging’ against your hips, thighs, side of your chest, or pocket, etc. will take a toll on your body and psyche.

Cross chest of blackpoint or lewong per se or

holster cross chest - Bing - Shopping

Also seriously consider lighter weight firearms like s pd360 rev.

Finally remember you are OC’g...

OP
S
Reactions
another forum recommended that hill people gear. and the general consensus on the different forums i've posted on is center of chest is best for running. i got a pistol wear holster i'll try but i'm considering ordering one of the hill people gear too and giving it a try.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Murphy's Guns and Gunsmithing
    2.00 star(s)
    I've purchased a total of 6 or 7 firearms from Murphy's, I think. In general, it's a normal gun shop. Some folks are nice, some ignore you, some...
    • mikemenzie
  • Arizona Firearms - Tempe
    5.00 star(s)
    I went there today to pick up a firearm and had a very good experience. I will shop there again.
    • MadDuner
    5.00 star(s)
    Every time I go in there I leave with what I needed and without feeling like my wallet was raped.
    • Mrjenkins
    5.00 star(s)
    Anyone in Phoenix area should check out Arizona Firearms on University and Priest. They have a big selection of firearms and have great prices.
    • JonathanB
  • Murphy's Guns and Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    When I go in I usually will watch and listen to employees before I choose which one to talk to. The good employees are great to talk with. The...
    • Gunsandgars