Welcome to Southwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Holster Recommendations for Running

Reactions
I live in a small town in southern AZ where i'm more likely to run into wildlife than a person with ill-intent when running. I want to carry when i run for both reasons though and am looking for suggestions on what works best. The culture here is used to seeing open carry so concealing is not a requirement. We quite literally see open carried guns every day. Belly holsters are not ideal, as my belly is simply too big at present; bigger than my hips so there would be no retention if i did that. I can wear around the hips or just above though. So far I have looked at shoulder rigs, bands that can be worn below the big belly like those at pistolwear.com, and tactical thigh holsters. I have carry pistols ranging in all sizes i could use but would prefer to carry my xd(m) .45 4.5 inch. I have slimmer/lighter options all the way down to a sig p38 .380. Does anybody else carry when they run? How do the thigh rigs compare to something like the pistolwear Trump card that can be worn as a shoulder rig?

Reactions
Welcome to the forum...
Couple of things, i presume you will be wearing ‘running’ clothes, e.g. nylon shorts w/elastic waist band?

Further, to have a large or ang handgun ‘banging’ against your hips, thighs, side of your chest, or pocket, etc. will take a toll on your body and psyche.

Cross chest of blackpoint or lewong per se or

holster cross chest - Bing - Shopping

Also seriously consider lighter weight firearms like s pd360 rev.

Finally remember you are OC’g...

OP
S
Reactions
another forum recommended that hill people gear. and the general consensus on the different forums i've posted on is center of chest is best for running. i got a pistol wear holster i'll try but i'm considering ordering one of the hill people gear too and giving it a try.

Reactions
I don't recommend a thigh holster unless you have a really damn good reason for using it, like body armor, climbing gear, or something else more important that needs to be in the preferred spot on your hip. I do run a holster with a bit of drop for 3-gun, but the muzzle is just above my crotch. Running with a thigh holster is just miserable. In general, if you are actually going to run, or be relatively active and need to carry a firearm as a side-effect of the environment, look into chest holsters. Such as...

LATEST REVIEWS

• Bruno Shooter Supply
    4.00 star(s)
    When I can get there, I never leave without buying something I needs, because they always have something I need!
    • armoredman
  • New Frontier Armory
    5.00 star(s)
    Great store and inventory, they have a lot of items. The staff is always friendly and helpful. This place gets really busy and you have to take a...
    • djthumper
  • Las Vegas Shooting Center
    5.00 star(s)
    Lots of room to get around in the store. The range looked nicely lit. Friendly staff.
    • djthumper
  • Clark County Shooting Complex
    5.00 star(s)
    I like the range, the staff is friendly and helpful. I wish they were open on Mondays, especially those holiday Mondays. I have been to our other...
    • djthumper
  • Bruno Shooter Supply
    5.00 star(s)
    I drove up there from Chandler to get what I needed. Simple layout, products on shelves, no BS marketing fluff or decorations or signage. No...
    • MadDuner

ONLINE NOW