JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Jesus, no way! I'm sending this to a few people I know who like to leave their doors open for their pets.

Big cats are very dangerous...and fragile. Handguns of any caliber will take one out. However, they like to attack from behind and go for the throat...I need a gorget.

Never had a cat or bear IN my house but I dont leave doors hangin open either. Years ago before Our Lil Town got so built up- I had a keeshond- barky, fearless lil SOB. Having a well-fenced yard we thought nothing of leaving the dog(s) outside at night. One night the keesh just disappeared. We called the local PD and they sent out an officer to take a report. The officer they sent I later came to know fairly well- experienced hunter and tracker. He looked around closely and then pointed out some coarse fur caught on the fence.. turned out to be cat fur and it so happened there was a mother lion in the canyons south of our house- she had been suspected of making off with several other dogs and cats in the area. We were honked and saddened by the loss and were more watchful of the dogs after that.
This area of southern Colorado has been known for cat/human contacts.. one female lion even entered the chapel of a local catholic monastery and snoozed out behind the altar area. Waiting for Mass like as not. She was chased off with no damages on either side.
The poster who pointed out the propensity of the large cats to attack from above and behind is absolutely spot-on. Front paws on the shoulders, rear paws raking buttocks and thighs, teeth to head and neck, and it happens lightning-fast. Such cats are probably hungry and old and easy human prey looks good. More than one local jogger has been attacked in that fashion (no fatalities yet).

Last Edited:
HHHHmmmmm. I had to look that one up. I had never heard of a gorget but after googling I think that would work.

Sure would! The big kitty could hold on to it while his rear legs sprayed your guts around the scenery!!! :D
I'm sorry for the family's loss, people love they're small dogs as much as others love their big ones. However, if I'm in cat country, a pair of Rottweilers, Bull Mastifs, etc. Not a five pound whateverthehellitwas!

A Portuguese Podengo. Cute as can be but definitely a kitty snack!

IMG_0904.JPG

Last Edited:
I don't see this as a reason not to own pets, more as a reason to make more mt lion hats.

I will definitely say, having an alert dog (one that barks a lot) is sometimes a nuisance, and sometimes a benefit. When you have a critter that freaks out when something is amiss (like a mt lion in your house) it's better to have your dog let you know, even if it sacrifices it's life in the process, then to have the lion get one of your kids.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top