JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, I'm another California escapee who just moved to Colorado Springs a few months back. I figured I'd join the forum covering my new state.

I know people often frequent more than one gun forum, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some familiar faces. I've been on Sigtalk since 2014 (this same username), and 1911forum since 2004 (username BoulderTroll), with a few thousand posts each.

Welcome, your new place is a great location
Thank you! I agree. I'm temporarily living with my adult daughter near Ft. Carson while her husband is deployed to Poland. I'm enjoying "The Springs" (as I've been told I have to call it if I want to sound authentic), and I may stay here for a year or two if I keep enjoying it. Eventually I've got my sights set on Bend.

What's going on man, welcome aboard.

If you're in Colorado, and want to do some road tripping to check stuff out, getting over on the mountain side is quite a treat, I-70 west from Denver is quite a gorgeous drive, of about 3-4 hours I think that gets you all the way to Rifle, and Grand Junction. Sleepy downs, but nice towns. Rifle is a cool place to go on weekends, it's small town, but it's downtown is entertaining and fun.

I never spent much time on that side of the state, I'm not a huge fan of Denver (tries to be cooler than it actually is) but there's some great mountains and ski type stuff in the state, Good hunting too!

What's going on man, welcome aboard.

If you're in Colorado, and want to do some road tripping to check stuff out, getting over on the mountain side is quite a treat, I-70 west from Denver is quite a gorgeous drive, of about 3-4 hours I think that gets you all the way to Rifle, and Grand Junction. Sleepy downs, but nice towns. Rifle is a cool place to go on weekends, it's small town, but it's downtown is entertaining and fun.

I never spent much time on that side of the state, I'm not a huge fan of Denver (tries to be cooler than it actually is) but there's some great mountains and ski type stuff in the state, Good hunting too!
Thanks for the welcome! Road trips are my favorite hobby. I've taken three so far with my pup in the Tacoma, since I've been here. In fact, this week my new 4Runner should be in to replace it. When we bought the Taco 5 years ago, we had a family of 4 and 2 dogs, and now it's just me and one dog. I no longer needed a truck, and I'll be able to stealth camp from time to time in the 4Runner, so my pup and my current living situation is what drove the change to the 4Runner. I also do tons of long-distance solo and group motorcycle rides, so I've been to a fair number of places in Colorado before moving here, but there is a ton more that I want to see. I've spent the night in Parachute, so I've been through Rifle, but never checked out the downtown. I've been through Grand Junction (which I don't care for to be honest lol), and Ourey a couple times, as well as several times in Creede, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Cortez, Breckenridge, Alpine, etc. But I know I've just hit the tip of the iceberg. I have a lot more exploring I want to do before I move away from here.

A town is named "Rifle?" OMG!! We have to change that. The kids there will grow-up not being terrified of guns. Last thing we want is for our kids to respect firearms, as opposed to fearing them...

Rifle, CO got it's recognition from a little cafe called Shooter's Grill where all the servers open carry guns. Many pro-2A politicians have visited in order to get their pics taken there to "prove their bona fides" as conservatives. The owner, Lauren Boebert, is obviously pro-2A and a rock solid Christian, as is her husband. She was elected to the the US House of Representatives (R) not too long ago (2020 I think) in order to take up the Pro 2A fight there. If you recall hearing about a US Rep that wanted to be able to Conceal Carry while in the House, that's her. She's currently campaigning for reelection.

There's also currently buzz that the new owners of the building her restaurant is in won't renew her lease end of August. Apparently she and her husband are in talks to possibly buy the building, which would be exciting for them. Bottom line, GREAT restaurant. Some of the best grill food I've ever had (I had to go there to buy a Ram 3500 I had my eye on in 2015). If you are ever in that area, it's well worth the stop. Oh, and BEAUTIFUL small town!!

Dave

Welcome to the forum. If you find a great place to shoot in Colorado, check the forum to see if it is listed. If it isn't, please share the details on the resource page. I think West of the Rockies is the better part of our great country and I look forward to visiting great places to shoot as opportunities arise.

Colorado isnt much better than commifornia as far as gun laws, but welcome my friend
Jedi, welcome and best wishes for settling into your new home!
We are rapidly being californicated, a demographic process ongoing with increasing rapidity since the early 1970's. Hard to find people descended from 2 native Coloradans these days. The state has turned from solid "red" to "purple" and fast becoming "blue". I can remember bumperstickers from the early '70's "Don't Californicate Colorado". Sad when people transplant and bring their baggage with them. The Springs is still a solid Republican bastion, probably due to the influence of the large military presence there.

Last Edited:
Jedi, welcome and best wishes for settling into your new home!
We are rapidly being californicated, a demographic process ongoing with increasing rapidity since the early 1970's. Hard to find people descended from 2 native Coloradans these days. The state has turned from solid "red" to "purple" and fast becoming "blue". I can remember bumperstickers from the early '70's "Don't Californicate Colorado". Sad when people transplant and bring their baggage with them. The Springs is still a solid Republican bastion, probably due to the influence of the large military presence there.
Thanks for all the kind welcome, folks! And Dun, you're right, Colorado Springs is VERY pro 2A, pro cop, pro military. I really like that aspect of it here. And I do think you're right, it's got more military installations than you can shake a stick at.

Eventually I've got my sights set on Bend.
As in Bend, Oregon? I did a quick search and see there is a Bent County in Colorado. It's just me, but I'd never take-up residence in Oregon. Far, far too many liberals. Owning a firearm is dam-ned near a crime, but to smoke crack or shoot heroin in a public park within close proximity to a birthday party for a five year-old girl is considered to be "Freedom."

As in Bend, Oregon? I did a quick search and see there is a Bent County in Colorado. It's just me, but I'd never take-up residence in Oregon. Far, far too many liberals. Owning a firearm is dam-ned near a crime, but to smoke crack or shoot heroin in a public park within close proximity to a birthday party for a five year-old girl is considered to be "Freedom."
Yeah, Bend, OR. Oregon in general is more on the liberal side than Colorado, but not by much. It's less liberal than Washington, and outside of Portland, still lots of conservatives. Having just come from California, Oregon would be a huge step up for me in that regard. The truth is it's getting bad everywhere as far as guns are concerned.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top