JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Marky, you are correct in saying you should have remained inside. Had the suspect been armed the situation could have turned out differently. Your incident shows the importance of thinking about scenarios ahead of time. I tell people that one of the best learning tools is to ask yourself "What would I do if.....?".

Have a plan BEFORE it happens. It will prevent you from exiting your secure home and confronting an unknown subject in your bathrobe. Stay inside, arm yourself w/ a firearm & a powerful flashlight, call 911, and make the criminal come to you.

USCCA is kinda like life insurance. It's comforting to have but you hope you won't have to use it any time soon.

Last Edited:
Marky, you are correct in saying you should have remained inside. Had the suspect been armed the situation could have turned out differently. Your incident shows the importance of thinking about scenarios ahead of time. I tell people that one of the best learning tools is to ask yourself "What would I do if.....?".

Have a plan BEFORE it happens. It will prevent you from exiting your secure home and confronting an unknown subject in your bathrobe. Stay inside, arm yourself w/ a firearm & a powerful flashlight, call 911, and make the criminal come to you.

USCCA is kina like life insurance. It's comforting to have but you hope you won't have to use it any time soon.

Another lesson I want to iterate; emphasize the problem or crime you are seeing at your home to the 911 dispatcher. If you think it's an emergency be calm but add urgency to your voice. In my case the dispatch center coded the call as a suspicious person and not a prowler or attempted burglary which is why it took longer for PD to arrive. As a note I live 7 blocks from their main precinct and in the older downtown core area of a city of over 100,000. It wasn't dispatched as priority one call for them. Planning is good and as you said, I probably shouldn't have gone outside. But I do believe had the intervention not occurred the way it did that things could have ended worse. More so for him than me but, in the end not good for either of us. I do plan, I look for options and generally have a plan A, B and C and in all cases plan for having the element of surprise and that caught this bad guy off guard. As for the flashlight, mine is 1000 lumens at the fingertip.

Stay situationally alert everyone and don't get complacent. Know your state laws, where I live I don't have a duty to retreat and for the most part a solid castle doctrine. The liberal agenda is to release more of these criminals from incarceration and disarm you in the process. It's going to get worse before it gets better and I'm not betting the better will occur in my lifetime and can only figure that self defense situations will be on the increase.

…….. Know your state laws……

That part is critical. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the phrase "I'll just drag him inside". First, forensics are way too good nowadays to get away with that, second, after all that work, it may make no difference.

I'm only familiar with the state laws of two states I've lived in and there is one vast difference. My former state, which is extremely anti-firearm, has a law that presumes you are threatened with great bodily harm or death based on forcible entry to your home. No aggressive action by the criminal must be taken for you to claim the right to use deadly force. An act as small as cutting the screen on a widow or using a large screwdriver to break the lock on a cheap door handle lock, would allow you to use deadly force when someone enters.

The state I currently lives is has a much more common law. It is a reasonable person law, meaning a reasonable person would fear death or great bodily harm in order to justify the use of deadly force.

Not knowing the difference in law could easily allow my to use deadly force on a person who slit 4" of screen, reached in to open the door and headed to the flat panel TV they desired. I could be in jail over this in my current state. That totally ignores the ease of getting a civil judgement after being found guilty of a felony.

Agreed, YnotAZ. Knowledge is power! I don't know of any state where you would be justified using deadly force to stop someone from taking your tv. I advise gun owners to remember these 3 rules when dealing w/ a threat:

1. Imminent (it is happening right now)
2. Unavoidable (self-explanatory)
3. Reasonable fear of death or grave bodily harm (the threat can be to yourself or any other innocent)

If you are able to articulate that all 3 of these rules were satisfied, the use of lethal force would be justified . States w/ "castle doctrine" or "stand your ground" laws allow for more leeway.

Would that be enough light directly into the eyes to leave someone temporarily blinded, as if a strobelight on a 35mm camera had been used?

Oh hell ya! It's almost too much for sleepy eyes that are holding the weapon in the house. The TLR also has a strobe option. I'm not sure I would ever use it but it's there. Even if the bad guy or gal or whatever the hell their preferred pronoun is these days was wearing sunglasses they wouldn't be able to look directly at it and will still have severe vision spotting afterward. The other nice aspect of a tac light is you put the blob of light from your tac light on center mass out to at least 30 feet and you will hit your target without having to use your sights although it's way easier to pick up your sight picture with that bright of a light and darkness to your back. . Not a laser by any means but a damn effective tool.

A great flashlight for the average homeowner is the Fenix PD35. It puts out a true 1000 lumens. It's more than bright enough to disorient an opponent. Cost is about $70 and the quality is comparable to more expensive lights. It offers various modes from energy saver to max light and a strobe mode. It's a quality light that offers quite a bit of bang for the buck. They are available on Amazon.

I've always relied and have had good luck with Streamlight both on the job and off the job. Never failed me yet. Just put the Racker back on the 870 and TLR's on the sidearms for cross country travel. But always carry a standard stream light flashlight until a weapon is needed.

My parents have a vacation house where the deer are (unfortunately) friendly and you can get 5 feet away from them. Was mowing the lawn and a doe ran up to the fence facing Hood Canal. A large buck for the area (5 points total 3x2) came up and was chasing her. He aw me and started doing just like that one. Stomping, lowering his hear, snorting, grunting, trying to look big. Unfortunately my parents won't let me take out some of the deer up there to help them get "wild" again.
In my experience as a park ranger I have seen what overly-"friendly" fed deer can do to a person's face with those sharp little hooves. Those cute innocent deer can do a lot of damage! Not pretty and require multiple plastic surgeries attempting to repair. There are reasons it's illegal to feed or mess with wild animals...

In my experience as a park ranger I have seen what overly-"friendly" fed deer can do to a person's face with those sharp little hooves. Those cute innocent deer can do a lot of damage! Not pretty and require multiple plastic surgeries attempting to repair. There are reasons it's illegal to feed or mess with wild animals...
Deer stomps hawk to save rabbit

I was in an armored truck robbery. 2 Mexicans jumped around the corner guns drawn. Had no chance. Had 83k in one hand and pushing a cart with 3k in quarters. Wish I could've shot them. Fbi said $ probably went story to Mexico.

While I was visiting a friend, a couple of drunk illegals driving a kia bounced off my parked converted bus. Both airbags deployed & after they managed to get out of the totaled Kia, they both ran away with my gf close behind & screaming at them until they managed to outrun her. When the policeman got on scene he told me I should have shot them both with my Desert Eagle-- what can I say, I didn't know it would be OK

It is NOT ok to shoot someone unless they are threatening your life! Get some training from a qualified firearms instructor. You can start by reading "Armed Response" by David Kenik. Shooting someone for damaging your property will lead to a Manslaughter charge and prison time.

As for your girlfriend, I'm not sure what she was trying to accomplish. She placed herself in danger to try to...what? You were both uninjured. Call the police and let them handle it. Your vehicle can always be repaired.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top