JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In another post @DunRanull mentioned someone tried to take his openly carried firearm, a story I'd be interested in hearing. I'm curious to hear whether anyone else has had to draw or use their carry gun.

Just once....
A couple of "opportunists" tried something in a gas station late at night. One guy is yelling something to me from across the parking lot that I couldn't understand (to keep my attention), while the other tries sneaking up behind me on the other side of my truck while I was fueling it. I saw the guy crouched down beside the truck in the passenger mirror. In my head I'm thinking "this is not a good situation!" I have one guy in front and one behind me. I backed up to the corner of the truck to get both guys in my sight at the same time. I have no idea what their true goal was. I drew my weapon as I moved and met the crouched down guy at the back passenger corner of the truck..... With front sight trained on the bridge of his nose at about 5' of distance. Lucky for BOTH of us - both of his hands were empty. I very loudly told the guy to BACK THE F*** UP!!!!!

At that point, all I saw was the back of the guy's head as he sprinted across the parking lot. His partner did the same. I cautiously waited for something else to happen until the pump went click, turning off. I didn't see where the guys went,and I didn't wait for them to come back either!

I still worry about what could have happened if the guy just had a simple cell phone in his hand instead of a gun or knife. The adrenalin was pumping. I COULD have made the wrong decision. That would have been bad. What would have been even worse would have been to be an unarmed sheep in a 2-on-1 struggle that didn't happen!

Just once....
A couple of "opportunists" tried something in a gas station late at night. One guy is yelling something to me from across the parking lot that I couldn't understand (to keep my attention), while the other tries sneaking up behind me on the other side of my truck while I was fueling it. I saw the guy crouched down beside the truck in the passenger mirror. In my head I'm thinking "this is not a good situation!" I have one guy in front and one behind me. I backed up to the corner of the truck to get both guys in my sight at the same time. I have no idea what their true goal was. I drew my weapon as I moved and met the crouched down guy at the back passenger corner of the truck..... With front sight trained on the bridge of his nose at about 5' of distance. Lucky for BOTH of us - both of his hands were empty. I very loudly told the guy to BACK THE F*** UP!!!!!

At that point, all I saw was the back of the guy's head as he sprinted across the parking lot. His partner did the same. I cautiously waited for something else to happen until the pump went click, turning off. I didn't see where the guys went,and I didn't wait for them to come back either!

I still worry about what could have happened if the guy just had a simple cell phone in his hand instead of a gun or knife. The adrenalin was pumping. I COULD have made the wrong decision. That would have been bad. What would have been even worse would have been to be an unarmed sheep in a 2-on-1 struggle that didn't happen!

Sounds like you did everything right. That is the reason that we train so that we can go home at night. I'd say you did good.

i thought i had a cougar stalking me once when hunting. i heard a twig snap and drew my sidearm so effing fast(lots of training) but not fast enough. whatever it was took off into the trees.

Just once....

good thing you didn't shoot! coulda lost your eyebrows with all the fuel vapor around there

Just once....

Sounds like you did the right thing :)

good thing you didn't shoot! coulda lost your eyebrows with all the fuel vapor around there

This is what I was wondering. What would have happened?

Just once....

Nice job! That could have turned bad any second so good on you for trusting your instinct. I don't carry a pistol but I am related to people who do. I carry a knife and some martial arts skills. So does my little bro. Don't mess with us!

Nice job! That could have turned bad any second so good on you for trusting your instinct. I don't carry a pistol but I am related to people who do. I carry a knife and some martial arts skills. So does my little bro. Don't mess with us!

Is there a reason you guys don't carry a gun?

I've come close twice, both times against animals:

First one was in my back yard, I walked behind a storage shed and found myself face to face with a big buck, and he wasn't happy I was there - he lowered his head and stomped his front hoof, so I started walking backwards as I drew and held at low ready, finger off the trigger. He stomped again, but stayed where he was. I continued to back away until I was out of his sight, then headed for the house and let him finish whatever he needed to do.

Second one, I was on a walk with my wife and infant daughter, who was in a stroller. A very aggressive dog approached us, barking and acting like he was going to attack us. Off in a driveway was the dog's owner, and he was doing exactly squat to stop his dog. I stepped between the dog and my wife and daughter and pulled my jacket back and put my hand on my gun, while yelling at the dumbf$#k owner to get his dog back, now. Eventually Mr. Dumbsh!t realized his responsibility and lazily called his dog back. As we cleared and walked by, I told him he's going to get himself in big trouble if he doesn't keep his dog under control - dinkhole shrugged his shoulders like it was nothing.

Never had to draw on a person, hope to never have to do so.

Had the wife wake me up one evening, telling me that some guy had pulled his car up into our driveway and when she had tried to ask him his business, three times, he had just stared at her with no answer!
So, I hop out of bed and I'm pissed, not out of control, but this AH had frightened my wife and got me up from a sound sleep, so I'm not interested in hearing a load of krapp!
When I open the door I make sure this guy gets a really good look at Mr Riot Gun! Oh wow! He wasn't deaf or dumb after all!
Guy tells me that he had some sort of altercation with a street gang at the park, a block south of our house. I told him that I was sure they are gone now, and actually didn't care if they were or not, and vamanose. He just gave me my third, "yes sir" backed up and screeched off! I made sure to get the license number, but we never saw him again! :)

I've come close twice, both times against animals:

First one was in my back yard, I walked behind a storage shed and found myself face to face with a big buck, and he wasn't happy I was there - he lowered his head and stomped his front hoof, so I started walking backwards as I drew and held at low ready, finger off the trigger. He stomped again, but stayed where he was. I continued to back away until I was out of his sight, then headed for the house and let him finish whatever he needed to do.

Second one, I was on a walk with my wife and infant daughter, who was in a stroller. A very aggressive dog approached us, barking and acting like he was going to attack us. Off in a driveway was the dog's owner, and he was doing exactly squat to stop his dog. I stepped between the dog and my wife and daughter and pulled my jacket back and put my hand on my gun, while yelling at the dumbf$#k owner to get his dog back, now. Eventually Mr. Dumbsh!t realized his responsibility and lazily called his dog back. As we cleared and walked by, I told him he's going to get himself in big trouble if he doesn't keep his dog under control - dinkhole shrugged his shoulders like it was nothing.

Never had to draw on a person, hope to never have to do so.

The buck could have been dinner! ;):D

At the time there were 3 females that regularly hung around our yard - you might not be too far off with that assessment. I don't remember the time of year, but it could have been during a rut.

That very well could be. I have a video of a buck chasing a doe through our yard during rut. He looked PO'ed if I can find it I'll post it up see if it brings back memories :D

There was a buck who got all prancey and hinky with The Old Woman while she was peaceably walking our samoyed... She had the presence of mind to keep herself behind the dog while slowly backing away. The buck was tossing his (small) rack and stomping the ground with front feet. No shots were fired but there might have been. Mr Im Too Sexy For My Rack watched them leave the area. Not the first time this has happened, and sometimes it has been with one or another of the local black bears. Getting too old for this $***, I always carry when walking, with or without a dog...

New Resource Reviews

Back Top