JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As of March 6 at 1953 PST, ordered a left-hand bolt with right-hand ejection Bighorn Arms TL3 stainless action, the 12-point stainless barrel nut for same and chose their 20 MOA Picatinny scope base. Action was $1250; nut was $40. Lead time is eight to ten weeks, so we may see it between early and later May.
Just looked at an email that indicates the action will/should ship to the Scheels in Sparks on May 18, 2020. Let us pray that COVID-19 by that time is a bad memory...

Ordered a GO/NOGO checker for primer pockets the other night. Just got an email that it has shipped. I have primed a ton of fired mil-surp brass over the past several days while under house arrest with this pandemic ragin' all around me. I have discovered that when you have to push out a primer than got put in upside-down, you destroy it-- it comes apart and it's a goner. This checker will allow me to see before I prime if the pocket is too large, and save me the time and trouble in pushing-out a primer that's gone into too-big a pocket. The thing was something like $12 and about $3 to ship it.

"Low coefficient of friction." That means the rifle will fire at a rate somewhere above 5,000 rounds per second. Nancy Foolosi and Chucky Bullschumer are sending ATF agents to your house to confiscate it...

Ordered a GO/NOGO checker for primer pockets the other night. Just got an email that it has shipped. I have primed a ton of fired mil-surp brass over the past several days while under house arrest with this pandemic ragin' all around me. I have discovered that when you have to push out a primer than got put in upside-down, you destroy it-- it comes apart and it's a goner. This checker will allow me to see before I prime if the pocket is too large, and save me the time and trouble in pushing-out a primer that's gone into too-big a pocket. The thing was something like $12 and about $3 to ship it.

And even though the hole is larger and the primer was put in upside down (I am just starting to learn the very basics just FYI). Wondered if it effects the diameter/shape of the pocket at all when it was pushed back out of? Sorry if that is common knowledge but it would be because I have committed to a gunsmith's 2x per week greenhorn level reloading classes partially from reading your posts making me interested (though I have to reference much of your expertise via the net for many terms and sometimes acronyms that are beyond my knowledge. And secondly, because of curfew and that I work from home,this may be my chance at saving money from AmmoSeek.com and with a lot of endeavor, might someday be on hiatus with that Ammo sight if I ever reach the level of customizing my own new proprietary rounds of some type.
My math is good via the modest amount during my college chemistry degree prerequisites but still embarrassing to have been shooting over 40 years void of any experience(s) reloading standard issue anything back to original retail shop Ammo. Must be such an exciting process for you to make proprietary changes and end up with data I've seen you post outperforming the original shelf rounds in a number of performance categories when you finish what must start in your mind. What a cool addition to what now seems my mundane "quarantine" to all boxed / common shelf Ammo I can't yet redesign and 40 plus years of more of nothing but the same, limited selection less the every blue moon new and a possible round that makes it to sticking around from the occasional open spot worthy of new firearm production if it turns out worthy and long term profits to follow.

So with nitrile gloves and my sanitizer and maybe even a mask to stay popular (or alive knocking on wood) I should be learning just how far I will be from an original idea and stick with a 9 and 45 dye and a lump for some simple first minimal stage greenhorn reloading set up.
Will still google assist my learning curve of what must be pretty satisfying for your efforts until I make my first big mistake of skipping any steps out of impatience I've planned on experiencing.
Thanks for reading if you made it to here and inspiring some of my plans by posting what might be a trip to pick up similar things and a walker by then

Reloading is an easy task if you keep your wits about you and don't get distracted by the TV, a screaming kid or a bravo-itchy wife. It's all just four or so steps: case prep, priming, charging and seating the bullet. It need not be made complicated. The less complicated you make it, the greater will be your successes. There are literally thousands of loads to be had in the reloading manuals published by the powder, bullet and ammo companies. Millions reload because we want a product that is of higher quality than we can buy.

Commercial ammo is loaded by volume; not by mass. Handloaders measure-out their charges to the tenth of a grain. A 0.1-grain deviation in a charge of 65.0 grains in a magnum shell is 2/650 = 0.307 percent error. No commercial loader can ever come that close because of time constraints required to produce the product. Americans just eat it up too fast for such accurate (read slow) charging.

I doubt an inverted primer being pushed back out will affect the diameter of the primer pocket. The primer cup assembly is far more elastic than is the brass casing.

I do not reload for handgun. I never liked shooting them all that much because I could never reliably hit anything at which I aimed. I need the forward rest for a rifle and the buttstock nestled into the rear bag at my shoulder. I live where shots of many hundreds of yards are not something about which we dream-- we go out and do it. My heart bleeds for those who live where a shot of over 100 yards is a rarity to be savored like a medium-rare ribeye...

Got a new PMR-30 to replace one that a friend had to have. This is the 50-yard target during break-in all rounds fire were hit with only a couple outside the scoring rings. (The headshots were from an AR Pistol in 7.62x39 setting the red dot at 50.)

P-30.jpg Target 50.jpg

That is one of the most accurate out-of-the-box guns I have come across.
Savages are said to be dam-ned good, right out of the box. How do they do it when so many others cannot-- or do not? I'd pay a few extra bucks to get one that shoots really well after its first cleaning at the range, but before any lead goes down the bore. I think we all would. Who wants to put holes all over the target and wonder if the thing is going to group after you clean it following your first string?

Savages are said to be dam-ned good, right out of the box. How do they do it when so many others cannot-- or do not? I'd pay a few extra bucks to get one that shoots really well after its first cleaning at the range, but before any lead goes down the bore. I think we all would. Who wants to put holes all over the target and wonder if the thing is going to group after you clean it following your first string?
So far my Savage 110 Tactical looks like it will be a shooter. The only thing I don't like, is it has a short chamber and I like to play with different seating depths. The only bullets I can cheat on are the Berger VDL match bullets.

Ordered a GO/NOGO checker for primer pockets the other night. Just got an email that it has shipped.

Received it today. The small end slips right into the primer pocket with just a microscopic bit of friction when it's rotated. The larger end will only go in about halfway and is quite gritty and reluctant to rotate, no doubt indicating the pocket is of proper diameter. I'd say it's a good use of the money spent. Instills confidence that your primers will not back-out upon firing...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top