JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why not just reach out and touch someone or something? If you want to go 6.5.

a 6.5 prc.JPG a 6.5 weather.JPG

I am both a contrarian and a Luddite. I have no interest in what everybody else has in this regard. Yes, I know I cannot discuss apples to apples with the gents who shoot the mass-produced cartridges. But that is where I take my satisfaction: In doing something unusual and borne of my own mind. I never had a late-1960s Camaro with a small-block Chevy sportin' an Edelbrock intake, carburetor, cam kit and Hooker headers-- also known as a "cookie-cutter" Camaro. I built a 1978 Mustang II that would smoke the tires and very easily garner me reckless driving tickets if I failed to see Smokey Bear before he saw me. One time I didn't; paid for that one on my record for five years.

Shooting what everybody else shoots to me, is boring. Why not find a new way to enjoy the sport, and have something unique? I think that those who cling to "what we have now" with regard to cartridges are not motivated to think beyond the confines of their own imaginations. We live in the United States. We have the Individual Liberty, granted unto us by God, to own firearms and to build a firearm if we so desire. I want something I cannot just go to Scheels and buy off the racks. It's a challenge to make things all come together when you're dealing with the folks who turn-out the retail stuff before they get to the custom-made stuff. I waited a year for Lee Precision to even get to my neck-only dies and FCD dies for my previous two mildcats back about 2013 or 2014. But when they did finally arrive, they were pricelessly-beautiful examples of six-axis CNC machining. Worth the wait, and I really enjoyed using them for the exact purposes for which I designed and desired them...

You have to do that. So many haters of Individual Liberty, around. I have read that they who do so can take the serial number and somehow match it to your driver's license, after which they'll camp-out on your lawn and embarrass themselves there for a few days. And, oh yes-- you get to clean-up the mess they leave behind...

View attachment 7151View attachment 7152
My apologies. I'm new at posting and I was trying to post a picture of a newly acquired very highly polished nickel boron (supposedly) AR15 bolt that I cannot figure out the manufacturer or brand of. The only marking on the bolt is an "X" near the front end of it. It was given to me by an uncle who had it and knew nothing about it other than his renter of an apartment he owns left it almost a year ago on a closet shelf. I hope this post is close enough to the subject matter at hand being pictures of newly acquired guns and parts. If anyone knows what a bolt or other parts with just an "X" as shown in one of the 2 pics is, I would greatly appreciate it as I am having no such luck finding out the answer on the net.

Unknown Manufacturer 2.jpg

Unknown Manufacturer 1.jpg

I am both a contrarian and a Luddite. I have no interest in what everybody else has in this regard. Yes, I know I cannot discuss apples to apples with the gents who shoot the mass-produced cartridges. But that is where I take my satisfaction: In doing something unusual and borne of my own mind. I never had a late-1960s Camaro with a small-block Chevy sportin' an Edelbrock intake, carburetor, cam kit and Hooker headers-- also known as a "cookie-cutter" Camaro. I built a 1978 Mustang II that would smoke the tires and very easily garner me reckless driving tickets if I failed to see Smokey Bear before he saw me. One time I didn't; paid for that one on my record for five years.

Shooting what everybody else shoots to me, is boring. Why not find a new way to enjoy the sport, and have something unique? I think that those who cling to "what we have now" with regard to cartridges are not motivated to think beyond the confines of their own imaginations. We live in the United States. We have the Individual Liberty, granted unto us by God, to own firearms and to build a firearm if we so desire. I want something I cannot just go to Scheels and buy off the racks. It's a challenge to make things all come together when you're dealing with the folks who turn-out the retail stuff before they get to the custom-made stuff. I waited a year for Lee Precision to even get to my neck-only dies and FCD dies for my previous two mildcats back about 2013 or 2014. But when they did finally arrive, they were pricelessly-beautiful examples of six-axis CNC machining. Worth the wait, and I really enjoyed using them for the exact purposes for which I designed and desired them...
I totally agree! I am the same way when it comes to something different. However I ain't smart enough to make my own wildcat. Here's a couple that I built. Caution! Not a Camaro.

'64 fairlane.JPG torino2.JPG

REALLY? Thank you so much! Browning is a nice name in my book as I still have my browning hi point 9
I was just pulling your leg; I couldn't resist. The only "X" I know about in guns is the X-Bolt bolt-action rifle by Browning. I have no idea which outfit made that bolt. I was just being a richard-head when I said it was an X-Bolt. I humbly request your forgiveness...

However, I ain't smart enough to make my own wildcat.
Not hard at all! I can say that after having done two.

First, decide on a case length. I like to use lengths from existing cartridges so I can get a Lee trimmer to trim the case to a standardized & consistent length.

Second, choose your head diameter. The best is .473" because there are so many possibilities; secondly is .532" if you want to spend money on powder.

Third, choose your neck length. I go no less than 1X the bullet diameter. The '06 has it at 1.25X; I think 1.15X is just fine.

Fourth, choose your shoulder angle. There are neck-turners out there with pre-set angles. I have my eye on one with a 23-degree angle; I think it's made by PBA or PRO. Something like that. It is important to not go too steep on the angle, so that you can cold-form the cases with dedicated forming dies. My limit is 23 degrees. I'm sure Ben Syring at Hornady Manufacturing can school you on how steep a shoulder can be before you might get into a zone that will crush the shoulder before it forms it. These 35-degree shoulders you see on factory brass are hydraulically-formed. You can even have Whidden Gunworks make a hydraulic forming die and save the time and expense of fireforming. Hornady made three forming dies for me and in conjunction with the resizing die as the fourth die, I got gorgeous results.

Fifth, choose your neck wall thickness. A good one is 0.014 inches. You don't want it too thick, else you'll have a high neck tension and a "large" amount of neck clearance.

It takes time; think it through. Took me almost four years to do my first one; I had zero technical help from anybody. I figgered it out all by myself. My second (just a .358" big brother of the original .300") took less than a year. Used two of the original .300" forming dies, a dedicated F3 and its own resizing die.. Both turned-out really nice...

The far left is a .375 Ruger Basic (no longer made). The second from left is the Basic through my F1 forming die. Middle is through the F2 forming die. Fourth from the left is through the F3 die; it's cut to 2.494" to clear a lip in the die that would crush the shoulder if it was not trimmed to its design length. The far right is the finished .300 Nevada Desert Magnum case. Holds 85.0 grains of water to its mouth; 68.0 grains of water to its shoulder point. Kind o' remember it holds 76.8 grains to the bottom of the neck. These are quite smooth; notice how parallel are the reflections from the flash. My first few were nowhere near as nice.

Click on the images to make them bigger...

300NDM forming sequence.JPG drei-mildcats.JPG

Last Edited:
I was just pulling your leg; I couldn't resist. The only "X" I know about in guns is the X-Bolt bolt-action rifle by Browning. I have no idea which outfit made that bolt. I was just being a richard-head when I said it was an X-Bolt. I humbly request your forgiveness...
Oh nooooo, must edit the classifieds where I've quoted you and made a mound of money for the bolt, lol. I think it's actually manufactured by Layke Tactical out of Phoenix. Probably has the name on the full assembly somewhere.

Purchased two each Gen3 MagPul 20-round magazines for M4 carbine, to attach them to the two orphan Ranger Plates remaining from a purchase of several weeks ago. Also purchased two each three-packs of Gen2 Ranger Plates to attach to a purchase of ten 30-round magazines from several months ago. I had a few Gen2 RPs on-hand, but not enough to finish-out every magazine I had. The total cost was $58.44. I had a $50 gift card, which was applied to the purchase. The card reduced my burden to $8.44, which is an 85.56% reduction in cost. I love the sound of that!

Purchased two each Gen3 MagPul 20-round magazines for M4 carbine, to attach them to the two orphan Ranger Plates remaining from a purchase of several weeks ago.
Yeah; I purchased them. The problem now is that I cannot find them. I have every other item I purchased yesterday from the several locations I visited-- except the two 20-round magazines. I've looked and looked and looked all over my swingin' bachelor pad. Not seein' it anywhere. Irritates me all to hellsinki. I can't even find the white nylon bag with "Scheels" printed upon it, in bright red lettering. Maybe my billeting is an astronomical singularity-- right in the middle of a small Nevada town. I would have never thought as much...

Yeah; I purchased them. The problem now is that I cannot find them.
I found the magazines. I'd placed them behind my radio, which sets on an unused 12V cooler, which sets behind my computer desk. The radio is placed such that I can adjust the volume without having to directy look at the radio. I do not remember ever placing the magazines there when I put the six Ranger Plates onto the Gen2 magazines I already had. The great missing magazine caper of 2020 was predicated upon the human phenomenon that we so often look-- but do not see...

Last Edited:
Fifty each Peterson Cartridge 0.468 x 2.175 Wildcat Tubes.
Have been shipped! Ordered them a week ago.

I looked at Peterson's website. Dam-ned near everything they sell is out-of-stock. How can that be when the Criminal Left Media tells us Americans find firearms to be so abhorrent?

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top