JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Three each MagPul Ranger Plates for Gen 2 and Gen 3 magazines to fit the AR-type rifle chambered in 5.56mm NATO. Bought 'em at Scheels with a $25 gift card; actual out-of-pocket cash was less than $5.50 walkin' out the door. Retail was something like $13 or $14 for a package of three, plus Washoe County's 8.???% sales tax. I got 'em for less than 92 cents each. I like it when things come out in my favor...

Picked up a Savage 110 Tactical LH .308 today. Can't wait to hit the desert Thursday and try out some long-range hand loads. Also ordered a Tanker style muzzle brake. Should be fun.

a 110 tac.JPG

Picked up a Savage 110 Tactical LH .308 today.
Oh, man! I'm droolin' for that one. I'm lefthanded. I'd have gone with the 6.5 Creed had I been standing there, but you've not made a poor choice. Very easy to change the barrel. In my microscopic opinion, your money was very well-spent...

Is that a commonly-available MagPul magazine?

Oh, man! I'm droolin' for that one. I'd have gone with the 6.5 Creed had I been standing there, but you've not made a poor choice. Very easy to change the barrel. In my opinion, money well-spent...
6.5 Creedmore is the latest designer gun rage! It will go the way of the "Short- Magnums! Hundreds of bullet choices for the .30 calibers, not so much for the Creedmoor.

Oh, man! I'm droolin' for that one. I'm lefthanded. I'd have gone with the 6.5 Creed had I been standing there, but you've not made a poor choice. Very easy to change the barrel. In my microscopic opinion, your money was very well-spent...

Is that a commonly-available MagPul magazine?
Yes it is!

6.5 Creedmoor is the latest designer gun rage! It will go the way of the Short Magnums! Hundreds of bullet choices for the .30 calibers; not so much for the Creedmoor.
I gotta disagree, albeit most respectfully. I believe the 6.0, 6.5 and 7.0 mm bullets are widely used in target shooting because of the reduced recoil. I built a .30-caliber target rifle and even though it weighed nineteen pounds, the recoil after dozens of rounds would always get to me. I built it as a .30 because I just did not know that target rifles are supposed to be low-recoiling affairs. I gave that rifle away and now am building a 6.5 in my mind. It's going to be expensive because it's a mildcat, but I want to do it. The action, barrel and stock is going to be around $2500; then we have to go through the shark waters of having the dies, headspace gauges and reamer made. Those are going to be around $800 at best. The killer on those is the time required to have them made. I waited a year to have Lee Precision make some dies because they manufacture the stuff that sells at retail before they set aside machine time and manpower to do custom stuff. I've done two mildcats; you'd think I'd learn. No; I didn't...

How far are you shooting your 308? What bullets are you using?
A 168-grain match bullet will easily go 1000 yards. My concern when shooting very long range is the walking out and back to check the targets. I'd recommend the 175-grain Sierra MatchKing, with the mep-lats made uniform...

I just got some 168 gr. SMK's and some 178 gr. ELD, will be around 2600fps. With 748 and H-4895 for starters. We have been shooting my buddies .338 Lapua at 6# fire-extinguishers and I want to join the club.

Boy, this is firing me up. I have the Bergara Elite in 6.5 Creedmore for over a year and haven't shot it yet. [sigh]

BD84F531-C20C-4470-905A-E634FB4EEBD9.jpeg

Last Edited:
Boy, this is firing me up. I have the Bergara Elite in 6.5 Creedmoor for over a year and haven't shot it yet.
I'd never let a fine rifle like that set for so long, even if I couldn't hit a pie plate at 50 yards with it. Please take it out and tell us how you did...

That rifle has been discontinued in 2019. Bummer. Let us pray they give to us something better and more the crowd-pleaser than the original...

I have a Tikka in 308 that I shoot 1000 yards with all the time. I hand load 175 grain sierra match kings and hitting at 1000 has gotten pretty easy. The best part about it is doing it suppressed so then you can really here the DING!!:)

I hand load 175-grain Sierra Matchkings and hitting at 1000 has gotten pretty easy.
Is there a target of standard size for 1000-yard shooting? Would a 10" target (which is one MOA at 1000) be too small to hit it often enough to forestall aggravation because you aren't hitting it very often?

Is there a target of standard size for 1000-yard shooting? Would a 10" target (which is one MOA at 1000) be too small to hit it often enough to forestall aggravation because you aren't hitting it very often?

We use a 24 x 24 steel plate. If wind and other things didn't come into effect then yes a 10" target would be good enough but with wind and everything else its easier to hit and or walk yourself into the center of the target.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top