JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Picked up a 686 that my old department had issued and I carried for many years. Won a couple of pistol matches with one of these over the years.

686 S&W DPS.jpg

One each fifty-count box of .375 Ruger brass, to be cold-formed into .358 Sierra Stomper brass. Once formed into the Stomper shape, it can easily be formed-down again to the .300 Nevada Desert Magnum shape. I've got plenty of completed .358 and .300 brass already, but I was in the neighborhood of Sportsman's Warehouse in Reno and just couldn't go by without grabbing another box. It ain't like it goes bad, you know...

My niece found a S&W .22LR revolver in her late granma's old room, today. My niece is from China; adopted by my brother and his ex in 2004, I think it was. She's only 13 or 14, so she can't be the named owner of the gun. Her mom will hold onto it until the young lady is old enough to be the named owner. My brother adopted a boy from Vietnam in 2001 or 2002. He's turned-out to be well above average in school and in other things high school kids do (music, sports, et cetera). My brother has taken both kids to the range many times. The son really enjoys firearms; thoroughly enjoys ripping through Dad's .223 ammo with Dad's various Black Rifles. The daughter was a little shy of them until just recently. She feared the thing was going to jump out of her hand; the sound did not bother her. Just tickles me that my brother's two kids came from lands where the citizenry cannot own a firearm. They're both Americans (naturalized as infants upon arrival in CONUS). They're both really smart and very talented as artists, musicians and just as really good kids. My brother has never had any discipline problems with either of them. Both have blossomed into people they could have never, ever been if they were still in the nations of their birth. No other place on Earth as wonderful as the United States. If Kooky Bernie likes Sweden, Norway and Denmark so much he ought to pack his trash and move there-- never to come back here...

My niece found a S&W .22LR revolver in her late granma's old room, today. My niece is from China; adopted by my brother and his ex in 2004, I think it was. She's only 13 or 14, so she can't be the named owner of the gun. Her mom will hold onto it until the young lady is old enough to be the named owner. My brother adopted a boy from Vietnam in 2001 or 2002. He's turned-out to be well above average in school and in other things high school kids do (music, sports, et cetera). My brother has taken both kids to the range many times. The son really enjoys firearms; thoroughly enjoys ripping through Dad's .223 ammo with Dad's various Black Rifles. The daughter was a little shy of them until just recently. She feared the thing was going to jump out of her hand; the sound did not bother her. Just tickles me that my brother's two kids came from lands where the citizenry cannot own a firearm. They're both Americans (naturalized as infants upon arrival in CONUS). They're both really smart and very talented as artists, musicians and just as really good kids. My brother has never had any discipline problems with either of them. Both have blossomed into people they could have never, ever been if they were still in the nations of their birth. No other place on Earth as wonderful as the United States. If Kooky Bernie likes Sweden, Norway and Denmark so much he ought to pack his trash and move there-- never to come back here...

It sounds like your brother and Zoid are brothers from a parallel universe . . . .

Trip to China to adopt my oldest daughter in 1996 and trip to Vietnam to adopt the younger two in 2000 . . . .

(2000-09-07) - Family Photos 004.jpg

Trip to China to adopt my oldest daughter in 1996 and trip to Vietnam to adopt the younger two in 2000 . . . .
So you rescued two from Vietnam! Excellent work. My brother wanted kids from outside CONUS because under US law, the birth parents can come back and reclaim the child until he's 18 years of age. My brother was not going to have it that he shed the blood, sweat and tears raising the kids-- then the birth parents come along and take him back after all the hard work has been done.

Took my brother and his ex two trips to Vietnam to get his son, but just one trip to China to get his daughter. I asked him why. He said it's because China has so many girls that they've become a cash crop and the sooner they can send one down the line, the sooner they can put another one up for processing. When you consider that girls were at one time killed very shortly after birth, I have no problem with how it's done today. I don't remember why he said Vietnam requires two trips.

I look at my brother's two kids, and I thank God they were able to be rescued from lives that would have never allowed them to blossom into what they can become in America. Both are already well along toward success in this country. Both possess an excellent command of the English language, they are intelligent, they are devoted to their educations, they are not at all discipline problems, they respect their parents, they have friends with whom their parents have no problems and they are very much like the kids we saw in the TV families of the late 1950s. Helps to have two parents who are staunch conservatives. My brother, my two sisters and me were raised in a conservative home. I'm sure my brother took that experience and applied it to how he's raised his kids...

Last Edited:
We were fortunate. When we traveled to adopt our kids from Vietnam, we were able to get BOTH in one trip. They were born 6 months apart. Our daughter is from south Vietnam near Nha Trang, and our is from the north, about 30 miles north of Hanoi. Although we did this in one trip, we were in country for one month while the country did its thing. Fortunately the in country expenses were very reasonable, except for the obligatory bribes to "fix problems."

Our trip to China was 14 days start to finish. Vietnam was 32 days.

And the reasons your brother gives were the PRIME reasons we went overseas. We had already tried two US adoption attempts which went south before we even got to take the children into our home

Seems like back in the '90's it was well known that a birth mother could string a family along for six months of living expenses and change their minds the week before giving birth. Both times some obscure relative died and left these mothers with an "inheritance" of a few K which "changed their lives."

Last Edited:
Great post! I have no kids; never married. I cannot begin to understand the fears of a set of parents who have run the gauntlet to adopt a child. That you got both of your sons in one trip is a major victory over the "red tape factory" that is the adoption game in Vietnam. My guess is you felt a sense of relief once the aircraft cleared Vietnamese airspace, and an even greater sense upon touchdown in Hawaii. Your sons have to be grown, now; 18 and 19 years, or so. Your daughter is in her middle 20s. No question you and your wife are very proud of all three of your children.

Used-up almost $235 in Scheels gift cards to buy a Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5 - 4X scope (one-inch maintube) and a 24" shoehorn that makes it easy for us old guys to put on our shoes. This scope is my first Leupold. My shootin' buddy JR swears by them; says there's no better scope made. I prefer Vortex, and have told him so. We go 'round and 'round over it. I already have a one-inch PEPR mount, so the 30mm Vortex models were not under consideration. Will attempt to locate some ambition and get the thing mounted in the coming days...

Store your powders and primers in a cool, dry place and they'll be good for years and years. I have bottles of power I bought over ten years ago. Stored at room temperature and in Nevada's low humidity. No problems...

Locked up in a steel cabinet in a temp controlled shop. The way things are going it won't last years and years.

Now I'm into Cerakote finishes. Used a company out of Phoenix. Very nice work. Lighting makes it appear lighter but this is OD green with some VZ Forest Camo grips.

Plan on sending two more in. Patriot Brown (45) and Blue Titanium (9mm).

9D4571C1-9562-4A6F-BD07-AF675774D14B.jpeg F69D6984-04B6-4111-A927-79512DFF8A72.jpeg

I created a post asking which firearm for easier concealed carry - I ended up getting a Glock 19 (Gen 3). It came with two 15 round magazines, a 15+2 round magazine, a 33 round magazine, the biohazard end plate, threaded Jensen barrel, and the original barrel - $432 out the door. I did purchase some factory steel sights for it, along with a Zev connector. Hopefully I can take it to the range this Friday (I am out of plinking ammunition, so I may have to go back to where I purchased the pistol to get some - 500 rounds of Remington 115 grain FMJ for $90).

View attachment 5642

View attachment 5643
what a great price for a an awesome gun.

Got a 14" by 6" piece of 1/4" aluminum plate that has been worked-on by my dad to make it fit the two-barrel to one-barrel carb adapter on my F250 pickup. I am putting a Holley 2300 350cfm two-barrel onto the engine of my shootin' wagon. I have everything to do it now but the ambition. I'm stiff, sore and I hurt when I move. Must be my age and weight. Both are a wicked curse on a man. When I get this thing all done, I can drive out to the desert again and shoot from the luxurious confines of my pickup. It's been almost four years since I've enjoyed the pleasure...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top