JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Imagine how my spirits dropped when I opened up the box and found that they had packaged it with 2 right side walls (supposed to be one right, one left). I called them and they had me email them my address - they already got it shipped - but now I have to wait even longer before I can machine my first lower. Totally bummed.

View attachment 3673

At least there customer service is quick.

Nothing, yet. But I did send photos via email to two buds who wanted to see my target rig in a mildcat caliber of my own design. FFP Vortex 6-25X PST scope, these days. Different scope base, too. I think it's a Kenneth Farrell Industries 15 MOA base. Best-ever group is .135 inches (ctc) from 100 yards. The Millett scope had 140 MOA of adjustment to allow screwing it up to hold dead-on at 1000 yodds-- a distance at which I have never shot even though the round will push the bullet out to 1300, 1400 or maybe even to 1500 yards. The Vortex is a much, much better scope...

300NDM-image.JPG

Last Edited:
I was able to machine both of my 80% lowers today. I started with the one made of 7075-T6, which is harder to machine. The router jumped a couple of times, so the inside doesn't look great. The second one was made of 6061-T6, which is softer. That one came out better (and it was the cerakoted one, so I wanted it to look better). We'll see how they assemble when the time comes.

View attachment 3753View attachment 3754

Nice did you use cutting oil?

I used the Tap Magic that I bought. It seems to work very well. Never had any smoke and none of the bits or the mill appear to be discolored from heat. It was $15 at Grainger (16 ounce bottle) and I may have used one ounce total on both lowers. I highly recommend getting an 80% lower made out of 6061-T6, as it is easier to machine and will not wear out your bits/mill as fast as 7075-T6 will.

So then then the question arises which lower will give you the better strength and longevity in a SHTF situation under real use? Sorry just my mind with not enough coffee in it.

I have been carrying a SIG 229 (1st in .40 S&W then .357 SIG) from the mid-'90s to current use. Being old my 1st 229 did not have a rail for a light. I decided to correct that and bought another with a rail for a Streamlight TL2.

Sig.jpg

Nice! Which holster are you going with? Still debating putting a light on my carry gun.

Nice! Which holster are you going with? Still debating putting a light on my carry gun.

I went with a Blackhawk Omnivore, will take any firearm you can put a Streamlight TL1/2. Not really for concealment but will allow me to carry any of the guns I qualify with depending on the assignment. It is FAST, doesn't mar the gun, (I put a Bladetech lock on the back), comes on and off easily, and under $40 on Amazon.

I guess I should add to the thread to what I have purchased lately. If you are paying attention to the AR Picture thread..... It has been a bit.
t

Decided to get my 308 AR done. So I now have a Seekins SP10 BCG and a Faxon 16" heavy fluted barrel to complete my gun. Tried it out last weekend with a borrowed from another gun Sightron scope. Shoots pretty good.

Which leads to my next purchase. I have a Vortex PST Gen II 3-15 that will be showing up on Tuesday. My American Defense Recon mount got here on Wednesday. Honestly, I am not sure it will be enough scope for me but I am going to give it a try. Worst case, it goes on my Ruger Precision Rimfire and I try something else.

Wow! That is very impressive. Looks expensive.
Well, yes however a 500 run. This is #238 and purchased for investment. It will never leave the house. Prices are climbing due to availability. Already up $300 to $500 and I just bought it last week. (Gun Broker trends)

I opened up my safe one day and said "Do I really need eight 45 calipers and twelve revolvers?" Selling off and buying guns that return value. Just me.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top