JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Imagine how my spirits dropped when I opened up the box and found that they had packaged it with 2 right side walls (supposed to be one right, one left). I called them and they had me email them my address - they already got it shipped - but now I have to wait even longer before I can machine my first lower. Totally bummed.

View attachment 3673

At least there customer service is quick.

Nothing, yet. But I did send photos via email to two buds who wanted to see my target rig in a mildcat caliber of my own design. FFP Vortex 6-25X PST scope, these days. Different scope base, too. I think it's a Kenneth Farrell Industries 15 MOA base. Best-ever group is .135 inches (ctc) from 100 yards. The Millett scope had 140 MOA of adjustment to allow screwing it up to hold dead-on at 1000 yodds-- a distance at which I have never shot even though the round will push the bullet out to 1300, 1400 or maybe even to 1500 yards. The Vortex is a much, much better scope...

300NDM-image.JPG

Last Edited:
I was able to machine both of my 80% lowers today. I started with the one made of 7075-T6, which is harder to machine. The router jumped a couple of times, so the inside doesn't look great. The second one was made of 6061-T6, which is softer. That one came out better (and it was the cerakoted one, so I wanted it to look better). We'll see how they assemble when the time comes.

View attachment 3753View attachment 3754

Nice did you use cutting oil?

I used the Tap Magic that I bought. It seems to work very well. Never had any smoke and none of the bits or the mill appear to be discolored from heat. It was $15 at Grainger (16 ounce bottle) and I may have used one ounce total on both lowers. I highly recommend getting an 80% lower made out of 6061-T6, as it is easier to machine and will not wear out your bits/mill as fast as 7075-T6 will.

So then then the question arises which lower will give you the better strength and longevity in a SHTF situation under real use? Sorry just my mind with not enough coffee in it.

I have been carrying a SIG 229 (1st in .40 S&W then .357 SIG) from the mid-'90s to current use. Being old my 1st 229 did not have a rail for a light. I decided to correct that and bought another with a rail for a Streamlight TL2.

Sig.jpg

Nice! Which holster are you going with? Still debating putting a light on my carry gun.

Nice! Which holster are you going with? Still debating putting a light on my carry gun.

I went with a Blackhawk Omnivore, will take any firearm you can put a Streamlight TL1/2. Not really for concealment but will allow me to carry any of the guns I qualify with depending on the assignment. It is FAST, doesn't mar the gun, (I put a Bladetech lock on the back), comes on and off easily, and under $40 on Amazon.

I guess I should add to the thread to what I have purchased lately. If you are paying attention to the AR Picture thread..... It has been a bit.
t

Decided to get my 308 AR done. So I now have a Seekins SP10 BCG and a Faxon 16" heavy fluted barrel to complete my gun. Tried it out last weekend with a borrowed from another gun Sightron scope. Shoots pretty good.

Which leads to my next purchase. I have a Vortex PST Gen II 3-15 that will be showing up on Tuesday. My American Defense Recon mount got here on Wednesday. Honestly, I am not sure it will be enough scope for me but I am going to give it a try. Worst case, it goes on my Ruger Precision Rimfire and I try something else.

Wow! That is very impressive. Looks expensive.
Well, yes however a 500 run. This is #238 and purchased for investment. It will never leave the house. Prices are climbing due to availability. Already up $300 to $500 and I just bought it last week. (Gun Broker trends)

I opened up my safe one day and said "Do I really need eight 45 calipers and twelve revolvers?" Selling off and buying guns that return value. Just me.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top