JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got this S&W 686 6 inch on a trade.

686.jpg

We use a 24 x 24 steel plate. If wind and other things didn't come into effect then yes a 10" target would be good enough but with wind and everything else its easier to hit and or walk yourself into the center of the target.
24" is 2.3 MOA; probably better than most can shoot. My rifle was very accurate; that is why I went with a 10" disk. I figgered if I could not hit a 1.0 MOA target at 1000 yards on a calm Nevada day, I had no good reason for owning a $13,000 target rifle. I never did get to shoot at the disk from 1000 yards. I forever feared that some punk would ride up on his dirtbike while I was downrange and steal my various smokepoles. I'd be so far away, that there'd be nothing I could do other than to watch from a distance while my guns were being stolen. I go out there the majority of time all by myself, so there's nobody to stand guard over my valuable property...

24" is 2.3 MOA; probably better than most can shoot. My rifle was very accurate; that is why I went with a 10" disk. I figgered if I could not hit a 1.0 MOA target at 1000 yards on a calm Nevada day, I had no good reason for owning a $13,000 target rifle. I never did get to shoot at the disk from 1000 yards. I forever feared that some punk would ride up on his dirtbike while I was downrange and steal my various smokepoles. I'd be so far away, that there'd be nothing I could do other than to watch from a distance while my guns were being stolen. I go out there the majority of time all by myself, so there's nobody to stand guard over my valuable property...

Ya believe me we want our groups to be tight as well but at 1000 yards its nice to have a bigger target to start out with. Maybe I will add a 10" plate to the top of my stand so once we have it dialed in we can aim for it.

I saw those too. I couldn't find out much about either one so I thought I would try this out since I have to travel to AZ in a couple of months and have to qualify. I do a lot of training with my SIRT and my XD.

Fifty each Peterson Cartridge 0.468 x 2.175 Wildcat Tubes. These will be for my next mildcat round which is so far over the horizon, it's invisible. I figgered I should get some brass ordered so that when my forming & reloading set is manufactured in 2025 or so, I will have the brass to make some cases. The things are $0.98 each delivered-- 'bout the same as was the .375 Ruger Basic I was using to form my .300" and .358" mildcats from almost eight years ago. I have no fear that Peterson will discontinue these Wildcat Tubes (as Hornady discontinued the Basic cases) because so many mildcats are formed on short-action cases with .473" heads. This money is the first to be spent on this latest boondoggle...

Dimensioned 6.5mm Croodmeer.JPG

A .25-06 is on a full-length '06 case, so there's that. Having a greater internal volume the .25-06 can hold more in the boiler room than can this mildcat, but the whole shootin' world is hopelessly enamored with short-action cartridges. The 6.5mm Croodmeer is just an extended 6.5mm Creedmoor with a shoulder angle more easily cold-formed with custom-made forming dies. I'm guessing the case capacity is maybe two to three percent greater than the Creedmoor. I'll be surprised to find maybe a 5% increase by the time I have the first case formed.

So why do it? Why suffer through the expense, frustration and time involved? The answer is, "Why do men climb mountains?" My answer is "Because I want to try something that ought to put the bullet out there and still have it supersonic at 1500 yards, and maybe hit as small as a 6.5mm Creedmoor at that distance." I look at it as a challenge that so few others would undertake. If men never said "What the helsinki," we'd have never progressed beyond horses and buggies...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top