JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Guns are at fault for a rise in homicides in the nation's second-most dangerous city, and are causing a "crisis," its mayor said.

"The level of violence in our city is at a crisis level," St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson said at a press conference in its City Hall on Friday. "I think it is apparent to most of us that we are awash in guns," Krewson said. "They're being used to settle differences, defend territory, retaliate, take cars, do holdups."

The "crisis" she referred to was the city's reaching its highest number of homicides this year –– 197, she said (but 196 on the police department's website) –– since 1995, when that number was 204. The majority remain unsolved. As a next step, Krewson announced a gun buyback program –– citizens bring in their guns, the plan goes, and in exchange, receive grocery store gift certificates. It's set to begin as early as next week.

But critics say the city's problems run deeper than guns, and that the city has tried this approach several times only to see crime continue to creep upwards. (Studiesreflect that view.)

"I think she's trying something she feels is going to be effective, but in reality we just know that they're not," State Representative Bruce Franks told Newsweek. In 1991, the city did a major buyback program, in which thousands of guns were taken off the streets. That same year, Franks' brother was killed by a gunshot.

"A lot of those turned out to be antiques," he said. "We're seeing, go turn your guns in and then what?" Franks said the city should focus on adding resources to communities with high crime rates, which he said would make guns "irrelevant."

Continue Reading: Guns are causing a "crisis" in St. Louis, the second most dangerous city in America, mayor says

I wonder what the statistics show about the ethnic breakdown of the deaths: black/black, black/white, white/black, latin/white, black/latin, muslim/black, etc. It would also be interesting to see a graph showing the progression of ethnicity vs. ethnicity for the last 15 or 20 years!

you know dam well why you cant find that info.they are 85% the problem.just look at the rap songs by blacks like beoncey she says to kill the cops all the time.is it not true the goverment wont tell you for fear of a race war.

you know dam well why you cant find that info.they are 85% the problem.just look at the rap songs by blacks like beoncey she says to kill the cops all the time.is it not true the goverment wont tell you for fear of a race war.
You seem to be the expert, what's your opinion? And who is THEY, the mayor, the city council, the FBI?

did you ride the short buss to school.its no wonder theres no conversations going on here.
seems you're the resident genius. And youre right, theres no conversations on here because of low level buffoons like you spouting you're dumb a-- speculations. I was hoping this would be a good spot, but clowns like you spoil the environment with your wild hair accusations, your gutter level name calling and infantile moralizing.

Well, genius, you win, I'm done with jerks like you.

BTW, BUS is spelled with one S. Maybe you should have gotten on it and went inside the school.

Sorry, LINK, good luck.

Last Edited:
hey target your the only arsewipe calling people names just how oid and stupid are you .thats a personal attack is that acceptable on this forum.your nothing butt a knat on the arse of america.

St.Louis is the 61st largest city in the US with around 300K. They had 197 homicides last year. Meanwhile LA has over 3 million people and had 294 deaths. So LA, with a population of over 10 times that of SL has less than 2 times the deaths and somehow this mayor thinks guns are the problem. Really?

I'd say that's some solid reasoning on your part :)

I'm absolutely sure that criminals just love the fact that an inanimate object is blamed for all the crimes they commit. The politicians and anti-gun zealots are idiots for thinking that crime will abate if they get rid of guns. The same criminals will still be looking for the same victims. The only difference is that when unarmed - the victims will be defensless sheep. Crime numbers will climb.

I'm absolutely sure that criminals just love the fact that an inanimate object is blamed for all the crimes they commit. The politicians and anti-gun zealots are idiots for thinking that crime will abate if they get rid of guns. The same criminals will still be looking for the same victims. The only difference is that when unarmed - the victims will be defensless sheep. Crime numbers will climb.

Reminds me of those interviews they did on 20/20 or one of those shows with criminals, asking them where they got their guns and a bunch of other gun-related questions. The show certainly didn't get the answers they were looking for :)

It's not the guns, it's Democrats as with all cities with high murder rates. First the democrats take control of a city and the economy of those cities go south. They start to tax anything and everything while passing crazy laws telling people what they can and can't eat and drink. Those able to move do move leaving ones living in poverty that don't have a snowball's chance in Hell of ever getting out. The honest are then disarmed and the gang bangers see what their life is in for so put little value on it or anybody else's life. Since they know as much about a gun as they do math or history when they use that gun everyone within a block but the one they want to shoot is killed or wounded. Gun buy back, a chance for criminals to get rid of the 'evidence' and gun dealers get rid of their junk and broken parts. Gun buy backs is just another way these people prove they are to stupid to ever be ignorant.

Well I am a responsible gun owner , I keep most of my guns in the safe so they don't go around killin people. The others I keep an eye on so they don't get any crazy ideas and go out lookin for trouble . Hell the one I have to keep with me at all times because she has a hair trigger !

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top