JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With the decision of the supreme court, that on-line sellers must collect local sales tax, will this help local gun shops?
I know I always considered our high tax rates when deciding on a purchase, vs no tax and often free shipping.
I think it actually gives states the right to collect taxes if they have the proper legislation in place. There are states that don't have sales taxes, so they cant ask sellers to collect taxes yet. And I guess its optional for the states that have them in place.

I can see it being one large P I T A for online sellers to keep all the information needed, and pay the proper taxes to each state, which could possibly force a lot of onliners out of business if they play by the pending rules.

But how will a state know who, all of a sudden, need to pay taxes. Wouldn't there need to be a way to identify all the new taxpayers? How are the states going to find out who they are and how to
track and verify the number and amount of sale for each NEW vendor?

Seems like the state(s) will either require a business license/registration for each new vendor (another expense/revenue source), or get ALL THE RECORDS FROM EVERY SPONSORING SIGHT (GUNBOKER, EbAY, AMAZON, SPORTSMANS WAREHOUSE, FREEDOM AMMUNITION, ATI, ETC) AND FIGURE IT OUT FOR THEMSELVES. Of course for a place like Commiefornia this would be an opportunity to pad their employment rolls and use more money than they can collect to pay for all the new non-English speaking employees who will be collecting welfare and assistance BESIDES salaries that the don't pay taxes on!

Last Edited:
With the decision of the supreme court, that on-line sellers must collect local sales tax, will this help local gun shops?
I know I always considered our high tax rates when deciding on a purchase, vs no tax and often free shipping.
It can't hurt. I have LONG been paying sales tax on stuff bought online here. WA state started asking sellers to do it a long time ago. Some did right away, some took a while. Now days most do. As for small companies I have no doubt someone will make low price software (if they have not already) to take care of this. When this idea first came up decade or two ago it was a legit complaint. That it would be cost prohibitive to try to keep track of. Now days there either is or will be simple to use programs to keep track of it for people who sell.

I think it actually gives states the right to collect taxes if they have the proper legislation in place. There are states that don't have sales taxes, so they cant ask sellers to collect taxes yet. And I guess its optional for the states that have them in place.

I can see it being one large P I T A for online sellers to keep all the information needed, and pay the proper taxes to each state, which could possibly force a lot of onliners out of business if they play by the pending rules.

But how will a state know who, all of a sudden, need to pay taxes. Wouldn't there need to be a way to identify all the new taxpayers? How are the states going to find out who they are and how to
track and verify the number and amount of sale for each NEW vendor?

Seems like the state(s) will either require a business license/registration for each new vendor (another expense/revenue source), or get ALL THE RECORDS FROM EVERY SPONSORING SIGHT (GUNBOKER, EbAY, AMAZON, SPORTSMANS WAREHOUSE, FREEDOM AMMUNITION, ATI, ETC) AND FIGURE IT OUT FOR THEMSELVES. Of course for a place like Commiefornia this would be an opportunity to pad their employment rolls and use more money than they can collect to pay for all the new non-English speaking employees who will be collecting welfare and assistance BESIDES salaries that the don't pay taxes on!

As I read it, they wont be required to get the sales tax from the state you live in but the state where they are located. There is no way for a shop to know all the local tax laws. Some states like MA have a single state sales tax while others like CA and AZ have different taxes depending on jurisdictions. I can drive 3 miles and pay a lower sales tax. I don't know how much this will help local businesses as lots of time not only are we paying sales tax but also a higher cost at the store than online. Where the difference is negligible, I definitely think people will opt to buy local. But if you look at large companies like Optics Planet with free shipping and discounts on a daily basis, I don't think it will hurt their bottom line. I bet you will see a rise in states with a lower tax rate getting more of the business though. Then you also have selection etc. Then you have some states that don't have sales tax on clothing etc....too many variables, easiest is to charge tax where the shop is licensed. I think it will end up hurting the economy a little as people tend to spend more when they are saving a few bucks on taxes....just another way for the damn govt to bleed us dry if you ask me.

Sorry but I'm a little ignorant in regards to the taxation. By that I mean WHO? ME? If I place an ad in one of the online services for selling guns on a local level, how in the world can anyone keep track if I've sold the gun or not? Or is this for gunshops that sell online specifically?

Sorry but I'm a little ignorant in regards to the taxation. By that I mean WHO? ME? If I place an ad in one of the online services for selling guns on a local level, how in the world can anyone keep track if I've sold the gun or not? Or is this for gunshops that sell online specifically?
So before the ruling, online shops in general, no matter what they sell, were only required to collect sales tax if you live in the state that they are either located i.e brick and morter, warehouses etc or that they are registered in. A few states have been complaining that online stores that are located in their state are losing on taxes from out of state purchases. This was really brought to head by the larger of the online retailers, Jet, Amazon, Ebay, overstock etc. The states claim that they will miss out in billions of tax money. This was stemmed from a older court decision before the advent of the online market place. Courts reversed this decision and now say the states CAN collect sales tax from out of state online sales.

Edit---this is not for personal sales etc, this is for companies and stores. It's one of the reson lots of us purchase firearms,part and accessories from online retailers, on average we save close to 10% just from our local tax rate

So before the ruling, online shops in general, no matter what they sell, were only required to collect sales tax if you live in the state that they are either located i.e brick and morter, warehouses etc or that they are registered in. A few states have been complaining that online stores that are located in their state are losing on taxes from out of state purchases. This was really brought to head by the larger of the online retailers, Jet, Amazon, Ebay, overstock etc. The states claim that they will miss out in billions of tax money. This was stemmed from a older court decision before the advent of the online market place. Courts reversed this decision and now say the states CAN collect sales tax from out of state online sales.

Edit---this is not for personal sales etc, this is for companies and stores. It's one of the reson lots of us purchase firearms,part and accessories from online retailers, on average we save close to 10% just from our local tax rate

Hey thank you so much for taking the time to answer that question. You did so in a fashion that it quashed any "But what if" or "Does that mean" etc etc. Thanks for your thoroughness.

Hey thank you so much for taking the time to answer that question. You did so in a fashion that it quashed any "But what if" or "Does that mean" etc etc. Thanks for your thoroughness.
haha no worries glad to shed some light on the subject. The double edged sword to all this is that those large retailers provide other avenues of revenue to the states they are in, like jobs and with that income tax etc. So no if those online stores CANT compete with local stores and people stop shopping as much, those states that complained will start to lose tax revenue because they went after the sales tax. Major problem with our govt in general, they don't look at the long picture and just jump because of numbers on a sheet. Just like increasing min wage to 16+ an hr, sure burger king employees might make more money, but smaller mom and pop shops might close, larger chains will cut the number of employees, and costs of services and goods go up. Always a cause an effect and not always good even if their intentions were.

Regarding the damned if we do or don't wage wars : Just have to wait until we reach Ray Kurtzweil's and other scientist's definition of singularity I suppose, lol. What do ya pay for a mechanized Single employee fast food joint?

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top