JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Retired LE, living in Oregon and looking to move away from the cesspool! I had always anticipated moving at retirement and the current climate (not just the weather) is helping to make that happen. Just returned from a month long trip to check out the areas that the wife and I had circled on the map - Kingman, AZ being one of them. And from what we saw while visiting there, we really liked the area. We're not looking to live in town, but rather about 15 to 30 minutes outside, with some property so that we can exercise our 2nd amendment rights and all of the other benefits of having a little room between you and your neighbors. But we also like being close enough to town to easily run and grab things when needed. From the feedback we were getting from the locals and realtors, sounds like property to the east of town was best, with some decent stuff to the southeast although our exposure was a small sampling. Any of you guys in the area have any input on what you do or don't like about the area in general, or which portions of the Kingman area you might shy away from?

I'm a long time member of Northwest Firearms under the same user name. I joined this forum to seek out some info but I hope to make it my go-to place in the future instead of it's NW sibling! No, I don't live in Portland however I'm close enough, in Hillsboro, to feel most of the effects of the place. I promise, not everyone from Oregon is a dark shade of blue. I'm very red and none of that blue will be following me!

Hope to hear back!

Ken

Retired LE, living in Oregon and looking to move away from the cesspool! I had always anticipated moving at retirement and the current climate (not just the weather) is helping to make that happen. Just returned from a month long trip to check out the areas that the wife and I had circled on the map - Kingman, AZ being one of them. And from what we saw while visiting there, we really liked the area. We're not looking to live in town, but rather about 15 to 30 minutes outside, with some property so that we can exercise our 2nd amendment rights and all of the other benefits of having a little room between you and your neighbors. But we also like being close enough to town to easily run and grab things when needed. From the feedback we were getting from the locals and realtors, sounds like property to the east of town was best, with some decent stuff to the southeast although our exposure was a small sampling. Any of you guys in the area have any input on what you do or don't like about the area in general, or which portions of the Kingman area you might shy away from?

I'm a long time member of Northwest Firearms under the same user name. I joined this forum to seek out some info but I hope to make it my go-to place in the future instead of it's NW sibling! No, I don't live in Portland however I'm close enough, in Hillsboro, to feel most of the effects of the place. I promise, not everyone from Oregon is a dark shade of blue. I'm very red and none of that blue will be following me!

Hope to hear back!

Ken
I live in Phoenix. My parents retired in Kingman. There are a lot of places to hunt and shoot out there. If you live 15 miles out you might be able to shoot out your back door. In West Phoenix I have to head out 25 miles behind the White Tanks to shoot. It's about 10 degrees cooler up there or more like10 degrees less hot. Don't believe that stuff about Joe winning in Arizona. It never happened.

Moved from Springfield, OR last year to Kingman. Love the open celebration of old-time American values. Folks are friendly, even generous. Small town atmosphere but close to Vegas for Costco or Bullhead for Sam's Club. Excellent shooting range with lifetime membership very reasonable. Unlimited BLM trails for riding and shooting. Housing isn't as expensive as Oregon but not far behind. Be advised the wind blows regularly. The heat is here with plus 100's this week. Dry heat! Also member of NWF.

I live in Phoenix. My parents retired in Kingman. There are a lot of places to hunt and shoot out there. If you live 15 miles out you might be able to shoot out your back door. In West Phoenix I have to head out 25 miles behind the White Tanks to shoot. It's about 10 degrees cooler up there or more like10 degrees less hot. Don't believe that stuff about Joe winning in Arizona. It never happened.
Shooting out my back door is one of the goals. I live on property now, outside of town by about 20 minutes - pretty much what I'm trying to "replicate" elsewhere. Might say what I already have is almost perfect but the taxes, political climate, and now the never ending BLM/ANTIFA crap, and tent cities take all of that away. And after spending a couple weeks in AZ and experiencing the people, Joe winning was an impossibility!

Moved from Springfield, OR last year to Kingman. Love the open celebration of old-time American values. Folks are friendly, even generous. Small town atmosphere but close to Vegas for Costco or Bullhead for Sam's Club. Excellent shooting range with lifetime membership very reasonable. Unlimited BLM trails for riding and shooting. Housing isn't as expensive as Oregon but not far behind. Be advised the wind blows regularly. The heat is here with plus 100's this week. Dry heat! Also member of NWF.
What we experienced on our visit was like an entirely different world from what we are used to and "fell in love". We were in the Kingman area for about a week during the first part of May and didn't think the wind blew bad at all. Did we just happen to hit it at a calm part of the year? And they weren't kidding about the dry-heat: low 90's during our stay and it felt like upper 70's in Oregon. We had absolutely no complaints. That's where our concern came in - we saw a lot of good, just trying to figure out whats bad about the area and we're not having a lot of luck. (that's a good thing!)

What we experienced on our visit was like an entirely different world from what we are used to and "fell in love". We were in the Kingman area for about a week during the first part of May and didn't think the wind blew bad at all. Did we just happen to hit it at a calm part of the year? And they weren't kidding about the dry-heat: low 90's during our stay and it felt like upper 70's in Oregon. We had absolutely no complaints. That's where our concern came in - we saw a lot of good, just trying to figure out whats bad about the area and we're not having a lot of luck. (that's a good thing!)
Water is an issue. We have a well. Won't produce enough so we haul water. Can buy 200 gallons for $1.00 but have to have a 3/4 ton truck and water tank and pump. Wind and heat seem to come together in the Summer. We have ten acres but law says cannot shoot within 1/4 mile of other residences. Guns or archery not allowed. Lots and lots of good sunshine. Haven't experienced a monsoon, but told they are a major issue. Can damage property and wash cars off the road. Electricity is serval cents higher per kilowatt. They get you when you register a vehicle!

This is all good to know info, than you! We were told that north of town the water was more difficult to get, however east was usually okay, but that's from a realtor who's trying to sell a house, although she lives in the immediate area we were looking. Hauling water would be a no-go for us. Interesting about the 1/4 mile rule. Is that state law? County ordinance? Or is that within the city limits? I'm familiar with washes from hunting in other states over the years. Fortunately the path that they run can usually be seen.

This is all good to know info, than you! We were told that north of town the water was more difficult to get, however east was usually okay, but that's from a realtor who's trying to sell a house, although she lives in the immediate area we were looking. Hauling water would be a no-go for us. Interesting about the 1/4 mile rule. Is that state law? County ordinance? Or is that within the city limits? I'm familiar with washes from hunting in other states over the years. Fortunately the path that they run can usually be seen.
1/4 mile is State law. In Oregon wells have to be proven to get financing. Even proven wells like ours has low flow and poor quality water. We have RSO system and no salt softner system from Pelican. Heavy iron in water. Arizona doesn't require well inspection. Only septic requires inspection, and house of course for financing. We live in the Hualapai Mountains. Basically, South and East of Kingman about 7 miles. Some neighbors haul water and some don't. Lots of rural homes have a 2500 gallon storage tank. There are delivery companies that charge $150-175 for 2000 gallons. Some places in Golden Valley have community water. Can recommend good ac/heating, plumbing and painting contractors.

The only people calling it dry heat are the ones that walk to their office in the morning and back to their cars at 5:00 PM.

What is considered cold?? In the NW part of Oregon, we usually see a month or better in the high 20's to the low 30's, sometimes with a week or two in the teens. There's another 8 or 9 months that probably averages 50 to 60 and rain every other day - not the type you guys see where you have to step under cover for a short period and then resume the rest of your day. I'm talking about non-stop drizzle/shower/rain, sometimes for more than a month at a time.

What is considered cold?? In the NW part of Oregon, we usually see a month or better in the high 20's to the low 30's, sometimes with a week or two in the teens. There's another 8 or 9 months that probably averages 50 to 60 and rain every other day - not the type you guys see where you have to step under cover for a short period and then resume the rest of your day. I'm talking about non-stop drizzle/shower/rain, sometimes for more than a month at a time.
Your weather narrative is spot on as to why I wanted away from Oregon's weather. We have cool days in 40-50 range. Some cold weather that doesn't hang on for weeks, but does remain for several days. Snow does happen. Three years ago, before our time, they still talk about a major storm. At our place we had some snow that was gone in a day or so. One bigger amount with wind stayed on the ground for less than a week. Usually the sun and lower humidity deal with it though temps remain cool. If you prefer sunshine Arizona has an abundance.

The wind does blow. Not like Wyoming or Oregon coast, but it's almost a daily event. Not always hard. Some days, very hard.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top