JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ordered an LEO, IWI 12.5 SBR to use different uppers on to alleviate the problem.

For what it's worth The LEO rep at IWI said even the section chief of Form 3s didn't think the rule for braces was going to pass the court test.

Last Edited:
A congressman just commented on the house floor that out of an estimated 500,000 bump stock out there, 526 were turned into ATF as machineguns. That tells you the level of compliance I expect to see. The only reason numbers may be higher are all the is the idiots who are rushing to register because of the deferred $200 tax.

They don't see the big hook inside that worm because they don't have other NFA items and don't know the rules.

I did the registration thing. I'd really like to put a proper stock on my Extar. But can't do that without a tax stamp. Not too worried about big worms. If I ever hit the Lotto, I'm gonna have a bubblegum ton of NFA items. Gotta start somewhere.

I just found out that SBRs are illegal in AZ. Even with a tax stamp....
Now praying for the lawsuits to kick in....
Someone lied to you, Arizona is one of the freest gun states

And Yes, Freest is a word

AZ law 13-3101 item 8. (iv) says,
8. "Prohibited weapon":
(a) Includes the following:......

(iv) A rifle with a barrel length of less than sixteen inches, or shotgun with a barrel length of less than eighteen inches, or any firearm that is made from a rifle or shotgun and that, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

So I initially wasn't lied to. Just given incomplete information.
Down at the bottom of the law, it says,

B. The items set forth in subsection A, paragraph 8, subdivision (a), items (i), (ii), (iii) and (iv) of this section do not include any firearms or devices that are possessed, manufactured or transferred in compliance with federal law.

So it seems they are allowed with a tax stamp.
I'm not a lawyer, but that's what it looks like now.

Correct, as a non FFL/SOT, you must posses an approved/stamped ATF form 1 or form 4 for each NFA item.

Without the "tax stamp" these items are federally illegal, regardless of state statute.
I think his point is that even if the Fed gave a total amnesty for 120 days you could still be a state felon.

Also remember STF said they are calling a "forbearance" not an amnesty. Courts have ruled for years that a forbearance delays penalties, payments, etc. on monetary obligations, such as the $200 tax, they do not forgive the indebtedness or change any contracts, or rules, and I can't find any court cases where a forbearance ia applied to a criminal matter.

I think his point is that even if the Fed gave a total amnesty for 120 days you could still be a state felon.
This can be an issue but will any local law enforcement official actually act upon it or state attorney's office prosecute? Possibly but unlikely.

If worried about it, just don't use it until you get your stamped form 1 back or remove the brace until then.
At that time you can add a stock and dump the crappy brace.

This can be an issue but will any local law enforcement official actually act upon it or state attorney's office prosecute?
I will tell you a brief story to say "YES", if circumstances arise. I was at a local indoor range, testing a SubGun I was going to buy. was buying it from a friend who was a manufacturer and a major supplier to the gun store chain we were shooting in, so he knew all the employees, the store manager, and the owner.

On the first 32 round mag, a guy from 3 booths down starts yelling at us and demanding to see our papers or our badges... Well he went on and on, had the range master come in not good enough had the range manager come in, not good enough, had the store manager come in, not good enough, I offered to pay his range time if he sat out a 15 minute test, not good enough. Luckily, they had a second range that was not yet in use and the manager asked if we mind moving over there, we said OK, and moved. This guy stood and glared at us for the next 15 minutes, did not fire another round, until after we left.

At his level of pissed off state, if the other range was not available, and he was not being satisfied, he could have easily dialed 911. LEOs would have had to come in and satisfy him by questioning us. Just like the rancher in AZ who shot an illegal, if this had been an SBR, with the current ATF rule, we could have been in jail.

Was the owner or legal possessor of the machinegun with you?

If so, tell the loudmouth guy to pound sand.

If not, then you were in violation of federal law and the range should not have allowed you to shoot it there, since it sounds like they were aware of this.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top