JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (CN) – On a rainy afternoon in June, Mary Ann Krivda pulled her four-door sedan into a St. Petersburg, Florida parking lot. Krivda, who began driving for the ride-sharing service Uber four months ago, saw her passenger, an elderly woman with a walker, standing under a tree.

Krivda, 53, stepped out of the car to help the woman into the backseat and attempted to put the walker in the trunk. But the walker would not fit.

"I said, 'Ma'am, this walker is not going to fit,'" Krivda recalls. "I offered to drive her under the awning of the building to wait for another ride, but I couldn't drive down the road with my trunk open and the walker falling out."

The woman refused, berated Krivda and wouldn't get out of the car, she claims.

"I said, 'Ma'am, you do understand you are holding me against my will?'" Krivda says. "So, I called the police to get her out."

The woman ended up leaving on her own before police arrived, Krivda says, but the experience unsettled her.

"I was basically carjacked by a woman with a walker," she says. "Just because it's an older lady with a walker doesn't mean it can't be an older lady with a walker and a gun or knife."

If you spend enough time with an Uber driver, you're bound to hear tales of irate or unruly passengers. That uneasiness has led one South Florida driver to challenge Uber's policy prohibiting weapons.

Last week, Jose Mejia filed a federal class-action lawsuit against Uber, alleging its no-firearms policy violates Florida law.

The complaint, filed Friday in Fort Lauderdale federal court, cites the Preservation and Protection of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Motor Vehicles Act, passed by the Florida Legislature in 2008.

The law allows legal gun owners to keep firearms in their vehicles on their employer's property and bans any employment discrimination based on gun ownership.

Florida Driver Challenges Uber's Ban on Guns

Within trying to interpret the law, and from what the statement says in the last sentence, it sure sounds like the driver has a good point and a proper position. Its a shame some lawyer stands to make too much money from a class action lawsuit, but it sounds like a righteous case!

I won't stop carrying for my own protection. I even had a cop once that wanted me to disarm myself, in order to show him where an abandoned car was located and I refused. I prefer to do what I'm gonna do and ask for forgiveness afterwards. The military used to have a simple saying that covered this problem too, 'Don't ask, don't tell'

I won't stop carrying for my own protection. I even had a cop once that wanted me to disarm myself, in order to show him where an abandoned car was located and I refused. I prefer to do what I'm gonna do and ask for forgiveness afterwards. The military used to have a simple saying that covered this problem too, 'Don't ask, don't tell'
seems like the gumment in FLA is supporting the driver? Seems the military quote doesn't really apply?

Why are all gun laws beyond stupid. A cab driver is an easy mark to begin with but these idiots company policy make these drivers setting ducks. Do they also have a policy to post a sign on the car saying 'PLEASE ROB ME'

There's no way I'd drive for Uber, Lyft, or a cab company and not carry.

Policy is not law. If I were driving for UBER, I wouldnt think twice about carrying.

This has been my approach for both employment and college. I'd rather risk expulsion or termination than losing my life.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top