JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New resident in NW Arizona. Was moving trash dumpster down 100 yard driveway. Heard rattling over the noise of the dumpster. Took the snake the old fashioned way with a garden hoe. Damaged the rattles in the process. Shotgun in gun safe,so not enough time. Ammo still being unpacked. Self defense gun of no use in heavy brush. Fed the carcass to javelina.

20200601_182103.jpg 20200601_181033.jpg

I thought I would start adding a shotgun round to my carry pistol when I move there.

View attachment 8011
This is why I carry a revolver (More shot in the shells) when it gets warm, GREAT STUFF on surprise rattlesnakes. A DPS Trooper killed a Mojave Green about 5 yards from my truck last night as she was driving home. Then sent me a text about it.
This is the AZ Blackrattle snake that was in the yard last month. I picked him up and moved him up the mountain.

Black Rattlesnake.jpg

Last Edited:
Ever try to hit a moving snake with a handgun? :eek:
You were better off with your hoe.:p
One of my luckiest shots was a rattle snake through the eye with a 9mm Star BM. We use to hunt them with a cloth bag, a shot gun, and a stick with a piece of rope looped on it. My friend kept a couple in a cage until a little venom got into a cut on his thumb. For the perfect skin we would kill them using a pin through their mouth and into their brain. Snakes cant hold their whiskey and we got a side winder drunk once. He was half skinned before he awoke from his drunker stooper. Looking back to my snake days I was pretty stupid in my youth. Rattle Snakes are nothing like the movies where you suck the poison out and go about your business. My friends dog was bit twice. When he died years latter the vet said the venom had finally killed him. I now have a new outlook on Rattle Snakes. The only good one is a dead one. If you ever cook one up cut him up first or he might jump out of the pan.

Last Edited:
I've been hunting rattlesnakes for years. I use a snake grabber and a hatchet to remove the head. I tan the skins which last over ten years. I only kill the ones 5ft or over.

I used to hunt them. I was coming back from 4x4 ing near Pleasant Lake when a good 6 footer was crossing the road. I slid my land cruiser to miss grabbed my Luger and ran after it into the bush. Everything was fine until I realized I did not know where he was. Crapola, fortunately for me he moved and single round I used caught him behind the head and severed his spine.
Grabbed my prize and tossed it into the cooler. Got home girl friend was bubbleguming about the dirty cooler on the kitchen counter, I knew better. I got a fresh cold beer and took the top off and placed the snake with the head hanging on by skin on the counter. GF walked over and touched it. It moved. This carcass had been in ice water for a couple of hours. Got a fork and prodded the head and the mouth opened with fangs down. Fairly impressive, I thought. I had to put back in the cooler and in the garage before I could go to bed. She put a large brick on the lid. I skinned it and had it on the wall for several years.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top