JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just finished my first AR-15 build. Someone helped me assemble it and they were swearing quite a bit. The lower is an 80% unit - supposed to be a Cerro Forge and it was cerakoted when I got it. In order to get the upper and lower to mate, I had to do a little work with a file (mainly to take the cerakote off of the upper lugs. I also had to do the same to the magazine release notch.

The mag release seems to move smoothly now. The upper and lower go together fine and I can push the pins in by hand (the rear one required a pretty good amount of force before I made adjustments). The safety was also very stiff - it improved after the adjustments, but another problem arose.

Problem 1: It is VERY hard to get a full magazine inserted. If I remove a couple of rounds, it goes in easier.

Problem 2: With a full magazine installed, you can not pull the charge handle back at all. With a couple of round removed, you can pull it back, but it will not chamber a round.

Problem 3: With the firearm empty, you pull the charge handle and release it, then pull the trigger. The trigger operates fine, but once the trigger is in the already fired position, the safety is VERY hard to engage.

So, I am hoping that someone can offer me some guidance. I really don't want to trash this lower (I already had a serial number engraved and that was $50). Here is some additional information: The BCG is from Brownells - nickel boron finish, lightweight model. The trigger is an Elftmann match drop in. The barrel is an LBE .223 Wylde. The upper is from Guntec. I will post links to the items.

AR15 16" 5.56 M4 Barrel (this shows it as a 5.56, but the box is marked .223 Wylde)

the lower is the issue if you have to modify the parts to fit .?do you have a factory lower to try those parts in .the elf trigger is not the prob i have installed many.are those new mags with stiff springs.truthfully i have not seen many 80% lowers that worked well most have some issues.whose lower parts kit did you use.

the lower is the issue if you have to modify the parts to fit .?do you have a factory lower to try those parts in .the elf trigger is not the prob i have installed many.are those new mags with stiff springs.truthfully i have not seen many 80% lowers that worked well most have some issues.whose lower parts kit did you use.

I do have a Spikes lower that I can put parts into. The lower parts were what he had on hand, so I don't know which brand(s) were used.

Wish I could be of more help, I've built 5 and all have worked well w/o any adjustments. Seems your tolerances are off on the lower itself. Did others you know recommend this lower?

I just bought it on a whim, because I liked the way it looked. I think that the cerakote is causing some of the problems, but not all. I can remover the trigger and install it into the Spikes lower, along with the bolt catch and magazine release, just to see if it will function. If it does, then I will have to figure out what to do. I may also take it over to Wright Armory and let them take a look at it. They can probably pinpoint what is causing the issues and tell me needs to be done.

Problem 1....... That is not a real big deal. I would say that is some what of a common complaint. A full mag pushing on the bottom of the BCG, there isn't a lot of give. Not saying you are complaining about nothing because I can't know how bad your problem really is but.......

Problem 3.... That is the way an AR is supposed to operate. The hammer needs to be cocked to apply the safety. If the gun is not cocked, it shouldn't go on safety.

I haven't tried that yet. I could try putting it on my Diamond back lower. I just picked up some more parts today for my next build, so I might try another upper on the white lower and see what happens (of course, if I have the Diamondback apart, I might as well just mix and match to see what happens).

I messed with it a little more tonight. I think I have it narrowed down to the bolt catch. I am presuming that it should move freely. This one seems to stick (probably due to the cerakote. When I pull the charge handle back with 28 rounds in a magazine, the bolt catch moves and prevents the bolt from going forward )with 30 rounds in a magazine I can't even pull the charge handle back). I have some armorers tools on the way, so I may just wait until those get here. Once I have them, I can remove the bolt catch and do some fine filing in that gap.

I just wanted to show you all what the bolt catch looks like that is currently installed. To me it just looks like it is way too long and possibly for a different firearm. I am also including a picture of the bolt catch that is in the Armaspec lower parts kit that I just purchased. It looks like most of the ones I have seen in other AR-15 rifles.

Someone helped me assemble it and it is one that they had on hand, so they used it (I didn't have a lower parts kit at that time). Once my tools get here, I will get it changed out and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top