JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been watching the TV show Alias again (I haven't watched in several years - I have all 5 seasons on disc). I believe in either season 2 or season 3, Sydney is involved in a shootout with another woman. After several rounds are fired, they both pop up and take aim at each other. They both pull the trigger on their firearms - you hear a click, then the slide moves backwards and locks open, but no bullet was fired. I have personally NEVER seen a firearm operate like that. I have also seen instances where the slide locks back after the first shot is fired, but when the camera shows the firearm again, it is operating normally.

Mistakes likes these make me laugh, but it shows the serious lack of devotion by the show/movie makers to make sure that things are depicted correctly (don't even get me started on suppressors in shows/movies).

Hollyweird, I believe, makes mistakes with firearms because so few viewers know much of anything about what a firearm can do and what one cannot do. If the makers of TV shows and movies actually got into how firearms function and how they're to be handled, production times would be longer and personnel costs would be higher without a lot of viewers knowing any different or any better. If there are 99 ignoramuses in a room and just one guy who really knows the score, the information disseminated is going to be tailored to mollify the masses... and the one guy who can tell moose droppings from those of a bear is going to be left out of the party. This what I think. I could be wrong; such a travesty has happened once or twice in my life...

I always get a kick out of the old Cap and ball revolvers that never run out of boolits, or the 7 shot 1911 that never sees a mag change, or a machine gun that never runs out, and you never see empty brass flying through the air or bouncing off everything in the shooters zone!
Several movies and even t.v. shows have tried to do it better, but still, they just don't do it correctly!
A few movies have actually done it good, Heat being one, showing a mag changes, and even clearing a fail to feed once, or the Expendables, at least they show brass flying and mag changes some times! John Wick is the one that really gets it right, and while it's seriously over the top, its cool to see them "Run the Gun" correctly!
I don't remember the movie title, it's newer, but they show a American P-40 strafing over the heads of the good guys, and raining brass and links down on top of the good guys, THAT'S the way it should be shown!

Might have been!
The evacuation at Dunkirk took place in the later Spring of 1940. The Mustang was not in the field at that time. We hadn't geared-up to mass-produce aerial fighters as of that period. The P-40 first flew in 1938, so it could have been at Dunkirk with British or Polish pilots. I don't know if we were lend-leasing war materiel at that time or not. We may never know from which nations were the pilots...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top