JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A foiled gun-smuggling attempt in Nogales, Arizona, and a daring raid at an airstrip in Sinaloa, Mexico, led U.S. authorities to a gun shop on Tucson's northwest side.

Along the way, federal agents encountered rifles powerful enough to take down a helicopter, two phony home invasions, dozens of fraudulent gun sale records, and a former Tucson police officer accused of stealing the identities of people he arrested as part of a scheme to smuggle guns across the border.

Joe Santiago Valles, a Tucson police officer from 2012 to 2014, was sentenced July 6 in U.S. District Court in Tucson to 6½ years in federal prison after pleading guilty to 30 counts of falsifying federal firearm records, identity theft and witness tampering. The prosecution of alleged co-conspirator Timothy Veninga, who was a federally licensed firearms dealer, is ongoing.

The investigation of Valles, 34, and Veninga, 48, began in March 2016 when U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers in Nogales caught a man trying to smuggle a Kel-Tec PMR-30 pistol into Mexico, according to court documents and testimony at the July 6 sentencing hearing.

Federal agent in Tucson gun-smuggling case: 'Every family member had a .50 cal'

These kinds of cases need to be prosecuted and sentenced to the fullest extent of the law.

I agree wholeheartedly but have to wonder WTH these former LEO officials aren't hit with stiffer penalties? If the average John or Jane Doe were to do the exact same thing you can bet they'd be sent up the river for a HELL of a longer prison stretch.
If anything, LEO, upon conviction, should be given a MUCH harsher sentence because they wrecked the trust of the community and they were charged by their position to uphold the law, but they used their positions and power to circumvent it for their own personal gain. And in this case where guns of significant power were shown to be headed south of the border for criminal enterprises, it is worse yet.
But what do We The People know?!?

This makes me physically ill. Any sworn officer of the law who knowingly, purposely violates the laws he/she swore to enforce and uphold should receive twice the sentence anyone else would. Huggy already stated this quite eloquently but I just had to add my 2 cents.

Historically this has not been the case at all. If anything the reverse is standard practice. Without going too far off the rails; does anyone know what happened to ATF agents most directly responsible for the highest profile blunders such as Fast & Furious? They were PROMOTED, that's they're punishment. Slapped with higher paying, cushy desk jobs out of the public scrutiny.

I use them here as an example, not a tirade against ATF.

Meanwhile decent citizens and those who unwittingly committed minor infractions are persecuted and crucified both in the legal system and the courts of public opinion. Our new president needs to be held to his oft made promises to change this. WRITE to him! Call, send faxes, emails, letters. Do it OFTEN. It's easy and no you won't end up on a secret police watch list. WE, more than anyone, need to constantly remind him who elected him and why. That we're watching closely and won't be accused of generating Fake News if he fails us.
If and when {hopefully} he delivers he must be lauded with equal vigor. Here is a man who enjoys a good ego stroking more than any other. A prime candidate for the carrot and stick approach.

EVERYONE, whether they participate in this forum or not, regardless of they're opinions on 2nd Amendment issues, owes you a debt of gratitude for bringing this to public attention Joe.
We all need to be doing this EVERYWHERE. People need to know about this kind of crud and they need to get mad enough to do something about it.
Let's follow Joe's example and email link to everyone on our lists.

Hmmmm, I wonder why Holder and Obama didn't get their asses thrown into jail for doing the samething is my question ? A Border Patrol Agent even got killed about 5 miles south of where I live over it....

I hear the death tole from fast and furious is over 500 now and won't start slowing until those guns are off the streets. But that was the plan of the two criminals involved. Go behind the back of Mexico's government and give the worst bunch of murderers in the Americas over 2,000 AK-47, Barrett .50's and everything in between. Pay for those weapons with stimulus funds since the shovel ready job thing wasn't working out. When the weapons start showing up at places along with bodies we will blame American gun owners. Get the democrat party AKA useful idiots' protesting, looting, burning for a ban on all semi automatic.

The only problem with the plan is it was carried out by two real stupid sub humans.
First all gun stores forced to let weapons go out their door said the second those weapons left their shops they were gone with no means to track them. Second not even a week latter the head idiot criminal gave a speech in Mexico City. He took the people of Mexico as at least as stupid as he was and during his speech he blamed American gun owners for all the violent crime in Mexico.

Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together and who is responsible for all the deaths. It wouldn't take much of an investigation to put these two criminals at the end of a short rope. Especially since the head criminal has already found guilty of among other things genocide in a Malaysian court for his illegal war on Libya murdering 30,000 he told America he had to save to start his illegal war to begin with. Then there is the statement by the South Africa Lawyers Association saying obama has murdered thousands of innocent people, including 500 children with drone attacks all across Africa.

We need to see justice done for this much carnage in his three genocides, so here's the deal. If you box him up I will pay 4th class mail by way of leaking tuna boat to Malaysia where he will be uncrated and then executed. Maybe we can even getting the Pay to View thing going.

Sort of like what obama forced 5 gun shops in Arizona to do, only on a greater scale.
I know personally one of the dealers who was involved with the sales of guns to people he suspected of gunrunning and when he called in his suspicions, he was, um, "suggested" to play along and with federal immunity and assistance. All under the guise of Fast and Furious as it turned out.
Sadly for him, the feds later wanted to prosecute him and have BATFE pull his FFL as well as fines and jail terms.
FORTUNATELY, he kept detailed records, notes and recordings of ALL government conversations which is what saved his as*. As a consequence, he was absolved of ALL wrongdoing but still felt bad for his participation, knowing no good would come of it and, as it turns out, people were hurt or worse.
And still the corrupt government officials are promoted and handsomely rewarded for THEIR participation, including the "Masterminds" and walking the streets as free men. They should ALL have been prosecuted, tossed into the deepest, darkest hole in the prison system and the hole thrown away!
If there is ever any justice, some of the surviving members of the many victims families should locate those involved and responsible and, well, let their consciences be their guides.
Just saying. And it's probably a good thing THIS guy wasn't involved in any way, shape or form. I wouldnt be playing nice if i had been.

I'm only about 5 miles from where the BP Agent got assassinated because of Obama and Holder. Screw both of those guys.
Sounds like you and my Fiance are nearly neighbors, although she is in Green Valley proper.
Which brings to mind a question. I am looking to find a good spot to go do some plinking when a buddy comes to town tjis March.
I have plenty of places NW of Tucson, but they won't want to drive this far to plink. ANY suggestions?

Sounds like you and my Fiance are nearly neighbors, although she is in Green Valley proper.
Which brings to mind a question. I am looking to find a good spot to go do some plinking when a buddy comes to town tjis March.
I have plenty of places NW of Tucson, but they won't want to drive this far to plink. ANY suggestions?

Sure, anyplace that is National Forest or AZ State Land. You have to get the AZ State Land permit, unless you have a hunting license, then that's you permit.

I know personally one of the dealers who was involved with the sales of guns to people he suspected of gunrunning and when he called in his suspicions, he was, um, "suggested" to play along and with federal immunity and assistance. All under the guise of Fast and Furious as it turned out.
Sadly for him, the feds later wanted to prosecute him and have BATFE pull his FFL as well as fines and jail terms.
FORTUNATELY, he kept detailed records, notes and recordings of ALL government conversations which is what saved his as*. As a consequence, he was absolved of ALL wrongdoing but still felt bad for his participation, knowing no good would come of it and, as it turns out, people were hurt or worse.
And still the corrupt government officials are promoted and handsomely rewarded for THEIR participation, including the "Masterminds" and walking the streets as free men. They should ALL have been prosecuted, tossed into the deepest, darkest hole in the prison system and the hole thrown away!
If there is ever any justice, some of the surviving members of the many victims families should locate those involved and responsible and, well, let their consciences be their guides.
Just saying. And it's probably a good thing THIS guy wasn't involved in any way, shape or form. I wouldnt be playing nice if i had been.

Everyone I have talked to who was forced to do what they were told say the same thing. I believe obama and gun hating holder got these weapons to the worst bunch of murderers in the Americas. Then when they start showing up at murders which they have now over 500 times little Barry and Eric could cry to their useful idiots. Look at what these American gun owners sell to the drug cartel. We must ban semi automatic weapon they are killing our children and bla bla bla. A week after getting caught giving thousands of modern firearms to the criminals he gave a speech in Mexico City where he put all of Mexico's violent crime on American Gun owners. I'm surprised they didn't tar and feather him. Mexico know why they are out gunned and it ain't the American gun owner I know his illegal war in Libya was a genocide and his killing thousands across Africa is a genocide. But with 500 being killed on the border i'm not sure what number have to be killed to make a mass murderer turn to a genocidal monster. There is money to be made in a pay per view hanging of Barry, Eric, their stank and his whole administration including the woman that took Arizona from 3 billion in the black to 3 billion in the red. drawing illegals here like flies to sugar.

Offering illegals food, housing, schooling, child care, job training, emergency cash,emergency transportation and even rest homes for the older illegals. Did anyone see any of the flyers hanging in all the government buildings? They were green and had gold dollar signs all over them. It told these illegals they had nothing to fear on being deported. That dirty democrat had two plans to fix her treason. She would put slot machines in our airports taking out of towners' chump change or bend us over letting an overseas company put speed cameras on our freeway charging twice the fine with 80% going to that company. We know how she went. I have enough of those tickets to cover a wall and I never paid a dime or showed up for court. That goes for those color ones of Scottsdale and Paradise Valley, the ones hidden in Phoenix around Cotton Center or any other Tri City. criminal cameras and I will keep ignoring them until a camera can swear to tell the truth, take a stand, then point his finger at me and say 'that's the guy'.

If there is a pay per view many will have to be hung twice or use short rope and before the hanging we'll have a dance and get some justice.

Sure, anyplace that is National Forest or AZ State Land. You have to get the AZ State Land permit, unless you have a hunting license, then that's you permit.
Copy that. Just wanting to find someplace that is safe with good backstops and not a bunch of folks running around on quads or dirtbikes getting in the way. I've heard there are several areas near Ruby but it's been decades since I've last been there.
Hate to show up only to be run off.

That's terrible :(

Really happy to hear it turned out alright for him.

3 Points has a gun range. I don't know if you have to be a member or not. Maybe call those guys.
I've been a member over the years but it got to be too expensive to buy a yearly membership, so when I do go I just pay the daily rate.
My only issue with a range, per se, is how regulated they are. Yes, it's for safety's sake and needed for the bulk of shooters but if you have a mission to research ammo or firearms testing, the rules are too oppressive for the kind of shooting I need to do at various range distances.
Thanks for the help.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top