JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There.

I said it.

No one likes to admit it, but we all base allot of our decisions and actions today on fearful thoughts.

How is that going to play in a SHTF situation?

I'm just gonna talk about this like everyone is SCARED.

That way, we don't have to admit it, even to ourselves, if we don't want to.

Managing your fear.
It doesn't really matter what's driving this. If it's a deep set personal insecurity, or if the fear is based in reality. Fact is, until you get over your fear, you are handicapping yourself and those around you.

I'm no psychiatrist, not even close, but I'm going to attempt to define it and a few other things here for you.

What is fear?

Fear is not REAL. It's an emotional response your mind produces and your body feels in a response to a situation, Real or perceived, the latter being the result of your brain interpreting a situation. That interpretation could be correct or incorrect. Situations can be real...or imagined, the latter also being a product of your brain.
It's important to be able to discern between a real threat, and one that your brain produced. If the threat is real, there is an appropriate action or response to it.

Fear is irrational. When you are experiencing fear, your decision making process may be clouded or even obscured. This generally leads to panic, because your mind discovers it can't come up with 2+2=4. But that's something else entirely. Let's just get back to fear.

I'm willing to bet if I asked you now when your not afraid, "Are you willing to bet your life on irrational thoughts, feelings, or ideas", you'd say No.

Awareness.
The ability to recognize your situation, your surroundings, in a realistic fashion. Kind of a data gathering for your brain, an ongoing evaluation. This is the 2+2 part of the equation.
The better this is, the more rational and realistic your solution or action, which is your =4

Caution. This is the thing we exercise to slow things down a bit, to allow our brain time to process rational and realistic interpretations of our surroundings and actions. It is a logical action for when danger is present.

Ok, so now we got some definitions.

What do we do about it?

Fear will be high in a SHTF situation. Don't let what you "Thought" you'd be afraid of cause you to conjure up that situation when SHTF. (Where the mind goes, the body follows...) Fear has a way to do that using your brain to come up with fear's little buddy, false perception. If you do, your decisions and actions may not be the best for you and your group, which I assume is your family...

Because fear will be high, (hopefully not in you) it is prudent to exercise Caution, (I.e. be careful) and it's important to mention that fear and caution aren't the same. Remember, Caution is a logical action when danger is present, and exercising it actually gets you out of a situation with rational thought before it ever gets close to fear. Most of the time. LOL!

How do you not be afraid?
First you need to learn to depend on you. You have to be able to trust yourself and have confidence in yourself to perform the tasks necessary for you and the people you are with to survive/thrive.

How do you do that?
Practice. Do the things you would need to do now, before your life depends on it, and you'll be less fearful when your life and the lives of others are on the line. Familiarity with a process, procedure, action you have to take, will help you manage yourself and others better under stress or fear.

I'm not saying throw yourself and your loved ones in a SHTF situation today, and see how you fare.

There are ways to practice things, run drills, etc. that will make them easier to do when you really have to do them and the chips are down. Gotta give your brain something to "Lean" on, if you will. Now instead of "OMFG, I've never done this before"!! it'll be "OK, I got this, and although the stakes are higher, the action is the same".

Some suggestions:
If you Think you might have trouble dealing with people, Practice dealing with them today. Barter, yard sale, Dickering over price, etc.

Think you might have problems driving your vehicle on an off road trail to go around the interstate? Do it today. Make it an adventure. Make sure you're prepared for it.

Practice the tasks and skills you'll need to perform or possess.
This includes range time, target threat assessment, employing the (mock) use of force (against a paper target) moving and shooting, etc. so it's not all bad!! About the only thing you can't do is simulate the life or death "target shoots back", but even some of that can be handled by paintball or FOF drills.

The wisdom and knowledge you will gain on this will be priceless to you should something happen to our world.

We all have this wonderful safety net around us called society. Realistically, it's a very thin veil, that can be pierced by practically anything. We all should use this opportunity to practice, among other things, the things that make us fearful, so when the S really does HTF, we are PREPARED. And consequently, a little less fearful of the world we live in.

Well, that's probably the best I could do with it. Anyone else got anything?

Very nice write up!

About the only thing I have to add is to actually use your "preps" to know what works and what doesn't. Whether it's stored or not so tasty stuff, or having to prepare it like you would without power or running water. Do it. See what it actually takes to prepare or what it actually tastes like. Spend a weekend with the power off. There won't be the "fear" of it lasting for a year. There also won't be the fear of receiving "uninvited company" either. But you will get an idea of how good things are now. We are all pretty accustomed to turning the lights on, or surfing this site when we want. Go without all that for some short-term perspective.

Most Excellent Post O.P!

If you haven't read the SAS survival guide, it's a must! Not that I would recommend trying it all, given most of us are not as physical as we once were, but there is a fair amount of awesome tips and advice contained within, and a goodly piece of what the O.P is referring to! I keep a copy with me in my GHB/BOB that follows me everywhere in the plane, the truck, or on foot! and is never more then 100 feet away from me at all times!

Thank you for your service, brother!

Yeah I was in, but not Army. I was in the Navy.
Spent 6 years in advanced electronics working on a weapons system called Phalanx, or its acronym CIWS.
Good times. Saw the world, from the back of a small Oliver Hazard Perry class Frigate. Experienced camaraderie on a large scale... and been missing it ever since. Civilian world has nothing like it.

Fear is the beginning of bad decisions. Panic cements them to reality.

Hate to rely on Hollywood for a quote, but Point Break, surfer bank robber movie...

"Fear causes hesitation, hesitation causes all your worst fears to come true".

Ever sit back and watch people? Been doing that over the last week and have to say that I don't think a lot of people would fare well in a fear/SHTF situation. People these days get upset and stressed over the littlest of things. If this is the way the world is going then we are hosed when the time comes.

Hahaha!!!

No, 11C, we aren't hosed, not completely anyway.
It'll take a bit to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak, but it'll get done.

Give this some thought:
On the initial side of anything major, first priority is get to where you need to be.
After that, rely on you and limit or avoid interaction, initially. Stuff will be crazy and panic driven for a while, so that's why you're going to avoid or limit interaction. Think Isolate and Insulate. Remove yourself from the situation and insulate yourself from it.

People you KNOW AND TRUST ONLY. I. E. Family.
Just be advised bubblegum can go sideways there, too.

It's one of the reasons you have or should have what you need for 3-12 months.
You're basically going to isolate yourself for a time, and let the "wheat separate from the chaff". The insulate part comes from not needing anything that'll draw you back toward the situation, ability to "Hunker down, unnoticed". Invisible. Get it?

Give things a chance to work themselves out, establish a "new normal", etc.
Eventually, things will seem to stabilize, that'll be when cautious interaction may be possible.

You may find you need some things to keep going, the first network outside your immediate family and friends, will be your neighbors, or the closest people geographically to you. Needless to say, it would be extremely beneficial for you to know the people around your AO prior to anything catastrophic. You feel me here?
I don't mean "Hi, Bob". "Hi Sam". Either.
Takes time to get to know someone. Put in the work. It'll pay off, one way or another.

After that, I expect things will gradually become larger and larger networks of like minded people. You'll just have to watch out for the people who either "Got the wrong idea" during this all, or somehow did not get on the right page... (mental)

Anyway. All the time I got for now.

@wildcat455 I am totally with you on these topics.

It takes a lot for me to trust someone and even invite them to my house. Like minded people are very difficult to find in this day and age. Especially ones that you build that report with and trust with your family and loved ones.

As of current I know 85% of my neighbors and would only allow about 4 of them into the compound. As for friends that I know and trust it is set for my house to be the meeting place if they can make it. My house has the best tactical advantage with 360 degree field of fire and I live in the country with only two ways in or out so that would be easy to block off with a chain saw and trees that I have already picked out to drop across the road. These tree's are also with in 1000 yards and I have a clear line of sight from the top of my roof. ;)

Food and necessities we are stocked up on to the tune of 6 months. Water is the one thing I am working on. Besides the water stores that we have I would like to put a well on my property so that we have that available.

I'm sure there are things that need to be worked on but it is a steady work in progress for me. Right now I am stocking up on reloading supplies to add to the ammo I have in storage for the rainy day.

4! :cool:
One thing to remember, at the first sign of doom, every one is going to be scared, and scared do crazy things, not very smart most of them!
This has it's advantages and is also very dangerous, the trick is to find the right kind of scared and get to work!
Katrina was a great example, every one making decisions made the wrong decisions out of fear, and it took really smart people to make good decisions after! That event had the first 48 hours as the most critical for the people to hunker down and try to survive! Other events can run longer, and still others can be a few hours! Point is, fear is a strong motivator in people, and they turn their mind on it's self with out even knowing they did it, and that makes for bad.
Scared is also a chance for you to take the lead and become that "official person" that the scared will follow, and THAT is a good thing, you give "Orders" and they do ( Mostly) and you can then use that to get closer to where you need to go, or get things You need done, and you had help that may also help others, or not, but they will be no better off then if you just left them to their own fate.

4! :cool:
One thing to remember, at the first sign of doom, every one is going to be scared, and scared do crazy things, not very smart most of them!
This has it's advantages and is also very dangerous, the trick is to find the right kind of scared and get to work!
Katrina was a great example, every one making decisions made the wrong decisions out of fear, and it took really smart people to make good decisions after! That event had the first 48 hours as the most critical for the people to hunker down and try to survive! Other events can run longer, and still others can be a few hours! Point is, fear is a strong motivator in people, and they turn their mind on it's self with out even knowing they did it, and that makes for bad.
Scared is also a chance for you to take the lead and become that "official person" that the scared will follow, and THAT is a good thing, you give "Orders" and they do ( Mostly) and you can then use that to get closer to where you need to go, or get things You need done, and you had help that may also help others, or not, but they will be no better off then if you just left them to their own fate.

Agree but with a slight change. In this scenario you really need people that you trust around you. Reason for this is you can't trust the dumb ones and they need to be watched 24/7

My dad used to use the Nuttier than a fruitcake!
(Meant to be funny, not necessarily what URI-Ki is...)

Hahahaha!!

11C,
Don't forget to keep an eye on the people you trust as well, stress, fear, panic do strange things to ordinarily normal people, and unless you've been "through it" with them, you don't know what they're gonna do, or what they're capable of.

11C,
Don't forget to keep an eye on the people you trust as well, stress, fear, panic do strange things to ordinarily normal people, and unless you've been "through it" with them, you don't know what they're gonna do, or what they're capable of.

I can count on one hand the people that I would trust in that situation. Everyone of them like myself have been in the service and have seen the heat. Couldn't think of any other guys I would want next to me or watching my six.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top