JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And, folks still haven't bettered Hiram Maxim's original design patent!
Besides some fine tuning, his design is still the best there is!
Folks still haven't figured out how to make them better, but at least we can still have them!
Hopefully the hearing protection act will pass and it will be cans for every one!

I can surely appreciate the sound advantages in having a suppressor. My problem with them for rifles is that they have to weigh-down the muzzle and alter the point of impact versus the point of aim. Even if the barrel on the target rifle is a big & beefy batsard, the suppressor's weight will affect where the bullet will hit against that target at 1000 yards. I suppose the error can be compensated by dialing up and around the elevation and windage variations, but do we really want to institute a compromise that pollutes the sanctity of the effort we've put forward in order to shoot small groups at long distances? I doubt 1000-yard shooting tournaments are conducted with suppressers. The groups those guys shoot is what we should use as inspiration in our own long-range efforts. Of course, with me being one of The Three Stooges, I'm not going to ever equal what today's top shooters can produce. But I can shoot without a suppressor, just as do they...

Last Edited:
I can surely appreciate the sound advantages in having a suppressor. My problem with them for rifles is that they have to weigh-down the muzzle and alter the point of impact versus the point of aim. Even if the barrel on the target rifle is a big & beefy batsard, the suppressor's weight will affect where the bullet will hit against that target at 1000 yards. I suppose the error can be compensated by dialing up and around the elevation and windage variations, but do we really want to institute a compromise that pollutes the sanctity of the effort we've put forward in order to shoot small groups at long distances? I doubt 1000-yard shooting tournaments are conducted with suppressers. The groups those guys shoot is what we should use as inspiration in our own long-range efforts. Of course, with me being one of The Three Stooges, I'm not going to ever equal what today's top shooters can produce. But I can shoot without a suppressor, just as do they...
Actually, this is a common misconception!
Yes, the weight does affect balance some, but not as bad as you would think. As far as accuracy goes, it has proven to actually increase accuracy, the added weight ( Mass) further dampens barrel harmonics favorably and P.O.I. ( Group size) usually tightens up better then unsuppressed! Most of my long guns are suppressed and I have seen good to great accuracy gains, a few have gone better then 1/4 inch at 100, and one has gone even tighter and further! The science has proven the gains, so get on board and enjoy! LOL

The science has proven the gains, so get on board and enjoy!
You've certainly got me to thinking about it. My next build I estimate will cost about $3600 by the time the first bullet goes downrange. A suppressor and tax stamp will add another $1200 to that. I know a flash can is not a suppressor, but I'm wondering if one could affect the sound such that it wouldn't be as harsh as a round fired with nothing on the muzzle.

Found this: KAK Industry AR 5/8-24 Extended Flash Can - Daytona Tactical

Ad copy indicates the flash can does not reduce all the nasty things for which we want a suppressor. I just want something that will direct the blast away from me. I think that's what these things do...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top