JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know there are other retired/former/current security/law enforcement officers/civilians who do patrol duty.. Which shottie you use/would use if given a choice?
My own choice was an 870 Rem set up with 8 rounds, tritium sights set up for slugs, Remington synthetic stock (traditional style, non-pistol-grip) and a sling. This was a personal carry weapon vetted by dept chief, who was a certified training officer- so I had some preference latitude. When I retired, the shottie, along with my carry pistol, retired with me and resides arm's reach from my side of the bed.
I DON'T like or need a pistol grip, a front pistol grip or a laser sight. I DO like eight-round capacity, synthetic over wood, tritiums for night shooting, the ability to send a slug 50-100 yards with an expectation of minute of man or vehicle accuracy, and a sling to assist in that. Ive not used the red dot sights since the early 1970's so no opinion except to say "More junk hanging off the weapon".
That said, What say you all?

My only shotgun is a Mossberg 500 which I use for bird hunting. :cool:

Right this moment I have it converted to a tactical and it sits in my safe until I can get a shotlock for the bedroom. If I choose to go hunting It is about a 5 min conversion back so it's legal again.

I know there are other retired/former/current security/law enforcement officers/civilians who do patrol duty.. Which shottie you use/would use if given a choice?
My own choice was an 870 Rem set up with 8 rounds, tritium sights set up for slugs, Remington synthetic stock (traditional style, non-pistol-grip) and a sling. This was a personal carry weapon vetted by dept chief, who was a certified training officer- so I had some preference latitude. When I retired, the shottie, along with my carry pistol, retired with me and resides arm's reach from my side of the bed.
I DON'T like or need a pistol grip, a front pistol grip or a laser sight. I DO like eight-round capacity, synthetic over wood, tritiums for night shooting, the ability to send a slug 50-100 yards with an expectation of minute of man or vehicle accuracy, and a sling to assist in that. Ive not used the red dot sights since the early 1970's so no opinion except to say "More junk hanging off the weapon".
That said, What say you all?

I have a few shotguns, including a Benelli M4, but my go-to is also an 870. It's an old police magnum which I bought it years ago on gunbroker and I can't seem to get the thing to miss a beat. I prefer the ergonomics of the Magpul furniture, but I'm with you on the pistol grip and other fancy doodads. I actually have a Knoxx stock for it which I got in a trade, but that didn't last more than a few minutes before I took it off.

870P.jpg

photo 3.JPG

My only shotgun is a Mossberg 500 which I use for bird hunting. :cool:

Right this moment I have it converted to a tactical and it sits in my safe until I can get a shotlock for the bedroom. If I choose to go hunting It is about a 5 min conversion back so it's legal again.

You gotta love the versatility of a shotgun :)

dirty.jpg
870 Police Magnum that has been Vang Comped is still my duty shotgun and still carry it at work what few times I work now. I have everything from Benelli's, Rem 100s, and AKs in 12 Ga with 14in barrels. The 870 is still my preferred work shotgun. The Camo with Magpul furniture is my work gun.

Last Edited:
I'm not fond of a pump. Too slow and I am a fish out of water with the reloads. Out of my expertise really. I tried to get a 930 to work but in the end it was still a jamtastic thing of wasted material and effort. I'm on the look out for a 1201 or a Benelli Super90 or an M1014 semi auto if the price is right. I still kick myself for not buying the M2 that PV Guns was selling used and was unfired for $900...ah well.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top