JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The way I figure it, dead by a firearm is dead. No matter what went down the pipe, no matter the times the trigger was pulled. That life and yours is changed forever. It is one hell of a responsibility that I take very seriously. We the people on this forum seem to be in a minority on this point.
I do use reloads jacketed hollow points, and from a .45 will do the deed I need them to do. My father a man of the law always taught us children. Be sure there is only one story to tell.
The truth, well spoken. "dead by a firearm is dead.... That life and yours is changed forever.... Be sure there is only one story to tell."

That's the key. In over 60 years of reloading, the only ammunition failures I've had was when I was playing, "What if" with some reduced loads. *Can you say Squib" :s0092:
I completely understand the legal department of any LEO branch banning the use of reloads in their duty guns. "if the outcome of a shooting goes bad" the use of only department issued ammo gives them some cover to spread the liability. When the grieving widow sues because the department did not issue her sainted husband the very best equipment that was available, The department has a binder [or several] that came with the ammo bid process, showing all the extensive testing that was done to develop and prove the ammo in question was the very best available at that time!
It allows them some legal cover, and if proven wrong it gives them someone to share the blame.

However, An individual whether using reloads or new purchased ammo does not have that same legal cover. The individual made the choice of ammo [ it was not issued to him, or forced to use only that ammo].
So even if new manufactured ammo failed to fire , it was the users choice to use that brand and the manufacturer is only responsible to replace the defective rounds!
An individuals family is free to try and sue them but good luck!

I'm another that has been handloading for more than 45 years, and I would put my own loads up against any other manufactures quality control ! There is no way they can hand inspect each round made and still sell at a profit! But I can and do. DR

Being a public entity they would have to place the product purchase out for bid and get at least 3 responses for the purchase to be valid. Seems a bit short sighted to me.
The MBA's of the world putting their strangle hold on another part of our lives.

When I was on the job, the department issued 42 rounds every two months. That was what was required to complete qualification on our combat shooting course.

We had a requirement of the minimum number of rounds to carry on duty. I don't know of anyone who actually carried the department issued ammo, they used it as range fodder and bought their own carry ammo.

I consider myself an expert . I have 30 years experience as a handloader. I can turn out much better ammo than any factory production line!

There have only been a couple court cases involving reloaded ammo and both I am aware of had nothing to do with the reloads being deemed "More Dangerous"!

The most famous was a case where a wife committed suicide. and the PD's investigator said he could not test the ammo because it was a reload. They tried putting the death on the husband. He was acquitted.

As long as you are not building explosive rounds, poison tipped bullets, etc... If the SD shoot was a good one, what kind of bullet I used will have nothing to do with it..

I tend to collect old and oddball guns. A lot of them the ammo makers don't even make defensive ammo for. So I handload my own. A lot of times I'm using plain cast bullets that these guns were made to shoot!
Let some lawyer try to spin a plain cast lead bullet as Extra deadly, or built specially to kill! I would just agree with him. and remind him that they have been made like this since 1873! Nothing new here. DR
Right on! Reloads rock!

I consider myself an expert . I have 30 years experience as a handloader. I can turn out much better ammo than any factory production line!

There have only been a couple court cases involving reloaded ammo and both I am aware of had nothing to do with the reloads being deemed "More Dangerous"!

The most famous was a case where a wife committed suicide. and the PD's investigator said he could not test the ammo because it was a reload. They tried putting the death on the husband. He was acquitted.

As long as you are not building explosive rounds, poison tipped bullets, etc... If the SD shoot was a good one, what kind of bullet I used will have nothing to do with it..

I tend to collect old and oddball guns. A lot of them the ammo makers don't even make defensive ammo for. So I handload my own. A lot of times I'm using plain cast bullets that these guns were made to shoot!
Let some lawyer try to spin a plain cast lead bullet as Extra deadly, or built specially to kill! I would just agree with him. and remind him that they have been made like this since 1873! Nothing new here. DR
Right on! Reloads rocks!

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top