Do you use reloads in your carry handgun ?

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by Hook686, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Hook686

Hook686
    Sacramento, CA

I carry a .357 magnum light weight J-Frame. It is no fun to shoot .357 magnum rounds in. .38 Special are fun to shoot, but 755 fps with a 158 grain bullet strikes me as at the low end of warm and fuzzy. I reload 158 grain Gold Dot hollow Points at about 900 fps and though these 'rock my boat' I find them manageable. I have heard people say do not carry with reloaded ammo. What are your thoughts on this ?

2. Uplandtom

Uplandtom
    So-Cal

I've heard the same thing regarding handloaded ammo in CCW and home defense. Possible liability issue. So, for HD, the handguns get factory loads: 230gr Win XPDI hp in my .45acp, .357 mag gets Hornady 125 HP[Critical Defense]. For range use, I handload.

Hook686 likes this.
  3. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Oregon

too much liability for me to want to carry my reloads

Hook686 and SIGAHOLIC like this.
  4. 2sixguns

2sixguns
    Stagecoach, Nv

If you have to use your firearm to defend your self or loved ones you don't wanna give a prosecutor any ammunition to use against you, pardon the pun. Like isn't it true you built these cartridges to kill, you knew these were deadly when you built them to kill. Personally I carry Civil Defense rounds when I'm working or in town, while hunting I carry my reloads 125 grain Barnes in my nine, I know these are very effective on game/varmits and would do just fine in a defensive scenario. Well that's my two cents

Hook686, SIGAHOLIC and Joe Link like this.
  5. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

I don't reload, but even if I did I don't think I'd carry with them.

Hook686 and SIGAHOLIC like this.
  6. armoredman

armoredman
    Arizona

I'm not allowed to use reloads in my off duty sidearm, must be factory ammo. No worries, it's the ONLY factory ammo I buy, 135gr Hornaday +P Critical Duty.

Joe Link, Hook686 and SIGAHOLIC like this.
  7. SIGAHOLIC

SIGAHOLIC
    Oregon

I used to, back in my SD revolver days. Since I've carried autoloaders no.
    My attorney has advised me not to carry reloads, a number of years ago in fact!

Joe Link and Hook686 like this.
  8. targetshooter

targetshooter
    So. AZ

no, I want stuff made by "experts"

dangerranger and Joe Link like this.
  9. MadDuner

MadDuner
    Anywhere I Want

I never "carry" with reloads.
    I'll shoot my carry guns with tons of my reloaded stuff at the range, but they ONLY have factory loaded Self Defense ammo in them when on "carry" duty. I don't have any FTF issues with my reloads at all. I just don't want any place for an attorney to gain leverage in court should I be forced to defend myself. I ONLY want whatever the local LEOs carry for ammo. If it's good for the cops to defend themselves with - it's good enough for me.

Joe Link and Hook686 like this.
  10. targetshooter

targetshooter
    So. AZ

here, here!

11. dangerranger

dangerranger
    Coarsegold, Ca

I consider myself an expert . I have 30 years experience as a handloader. I can turn out much better ammo than any factory production line!

There have only been a couple court cases involving reloaded ammo and both I am aware of had nothing to do with the reloads being deemed "More Dangerous"!

The most famous was a case where a wife committed suicide. and the PD's investigator said he could not test the ammo because it was a reload. They tried putting the death on the husband. He was acquitted.

As long as you are not building explosive rounds, poison tipped bullets, etc... If the SD shoot was a good one, what kind of bullet I used will have nothing to do with it..

I tend to collect old and oddball guns. A lot of them the ammo makers don't even make defensive ammo for. So I handload my own. A lot of times I'm using plain cast bullets that these guns were made to shoot!
    Let some lawyer try to spin a plain cast lead bullet as Extra deadly, or built specially to kill! I would just agree with him. and remind him that they have been made like this since 1873! Nothing new here. DR

12. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

That's nuts! :eek:

13. dangerranger

dangerranger
    Coarsegold, Ca

If I remember right the revolver was loaded with really light target loads, and The PD Investigator claimed that the ammo did not leave enough "Stippling"[?] [ powder burns around the wound] to have been fired at close range, and therefore the husband must have fired the gun from across the room.
    Once they were forced to test the remaining ammo it became clear why there were no powder burns [stippling].

There was one other case involving reloaded ammo, but again the case was about whether or not it was a true SD shooting, The reloads had nothing to do with if the shooter should have or not have shot the guy! DR

14. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

Interesting! Thanks for the additional info.