JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The rumor of Discover Card Services tracking firearms purchases is totally false! Below are two emails, one-my email to the CEO of Discover Card Services, two-Response from the CEO. Please spread the word, seems like most all news media is on the take from someone.

Dear Mr. Hochschild,

The news reports that your company is going to track purchases of firearms. Well sir, I think that is a terrible idea. I have been a customer of yours since the 60's I think, at least for many, many years. We do a great deal of business, with your company each year. If you actually do this, we will have to find another credit card. You folks have been great, so I really don't want to do that, but I will do whatever I can to maintain our freedoms, and 2nd. amendment rights. Thank you for your consideration.

--

Errol D. Severe
President Aviation Cadet Museum, Inc.
542 CR 2073
Eureka Springs, AR 72632
479-253-5008
www.aviationcadet.org

Re: Tracking the purchases of firearms
February 28, 2023 6:27 PM​

Roger Hochschild
To:Errol Severe
Cc:Executive Office of Discover Financial Services

I hate using the term "fake news", but. . .

Discover, like the other major card networks (VISA, Amex, and MasterCard) uses industry-standard merchant codes. But we have no plans to track purchases of firearms (and couldn't track what is purchased anyway, only the store type), and strongly believe in the right of our customers to use their Discover cards for any legal purchase as well as maintaining the privacy of their information.

I hope that helps clarify - and we appreciate your business.

The controversy comes from this so called new "industry-standard" set of merchant codes. There does not appear to be any rule, law, or requirement, that any card company use any particular merchant code, or set of merchant codes. In general, the term "industry-standard" means that across an industry, it is common practice to do something. I'm not sure how this new set of merchant codes can be called "industry-standard" as it appears most card companies, if not all (aside from Discover) have not adopted this set of merchant codes yet. It seems the previous, or soon to be previous, set of merchant codes placed firearm retailers within a more broad category such as sporting goods. The new merchant codes that Discover appears to be adopting, provide a specific merchant code for firearms retailers. So while the CEO is probably correct in that they may not be able to tell what someone purchased at a firearm retailer's establishment, I think someone reviewing a transaction history based upon these new merchant codes, could easily conclude the purchase was a firearm, or firearm related product... certainly wasn't a pair of running shoes or a beach ball. If I were trying to develop a list or database of gun owners, I believe that someone who makes a number of purchases at a firearm retailer would be a good place to start.

While technically it doesn't appear that the CEO lied, "industry-standard" might be stretching it a bit, and he certainly didn't take the opportunity to clarify the truth.

"Totally false"?🤔

The controversy comes from this so called new "industry-standard" set of merchant codes. There does not appear to be any rule, law, or requirement, that any card company use any particular merchant code, or set of merchant codes. In general, the term "industry-standard" means that across an industry, it is common practice to do something. I'm not sure how this new set of merchant codes can be called "industry-standard" as it appears most card companies, if not all (aside from Discover) have not adopted this set of merchant codes yet. It seems the previous, or soon to be previous, set of merchant codes placed firearm retailers within a more broad category such as sporting goods. The new merchant codes that Discover appears to be adopting, provide a specific merchant code for firearms retailers. So while the CEO is probably correct in that they may not be able to tell what someone purchased at a firearm retailer's establishment, I think someone reviewing a transaction history based upon these new merchant codes, could easily conclude the purchase was a firearm, or firearm related product... certainly wasn't a pair of running shoes or a beach ball. If I were trying to develop a list or database of gun owners, I believe that someone who makes a number of purchases at a firearm retailer would be a good place to start.

While technically it doesn't appear that the CEO lied, "industry-standard" might be stretching it a bit, and he certainly didn't take the opportunity to clarify the truth.

"Totally false"?🤔
It seems the truth about anything is most difficult to find. However, some reply's to the original report show just how fearful and hateful we as a nation have become, today it seems most news is comprised of lies or words to convince the reader to share the author's views. I for one, will give this CEO the benefit of the doubt.

The profile for @bigedac was created on the same day that the original post was made. Some dude (or bot?) who purports to live in Arkansas decides to create a profile on a forum in the southwest for the purpose of assuring the site's members that the Discover story is "fake news".

I appreciate the correction as to your actual existence. From my past observations on the sister forum, Northwest Firearms, it is not uncommon that trolls create an account and immediately post things that normally tend to be untrue. I stand corrected and apologize for the implication. Discover, on the other hand, I will continue to harbor the same "hatred and non-believe". Actually, I don't think they are necessarily alone, just one of the first.

I saw it on the TV news that Discover Card is going to go forward with their plan on April 1 or somesuch date, so it appears the rumor is, in fact, true. When comes the time to buy your next firearm, go get the actual cash and pay in cash. Discover can go fukushima itself, for all I care about them batsards...

Please read my email to the Discover card services CEO and his response, it should clear your mind. Please don't put any stock on what you hear on TV news unless its from OAN.

I saw it on the TV news that Discover Card is going to go forward with their plan on April 1 or somesuch date, so it appears the rumor is, in fact, true. When comes the time to buy your next firearm, go get the actual cash and pay in cash. Discover can go fukushima itself, for all I care about them batsards...
Cash is King.

Please don't put any stock on what you hear on TV news unless it's from OAN.
I'm a faithful viewer of FOX News: Tucker, Sean, Laura and Greg Gutfeld. I'm really enjoying watching the filth of the Criminal Left (both Party and Media) soil themselves regarding the 40,000-some hours of January 6 security tapes. I have seen several Criminal Left Media articles on the web making every effort to destroy Tucker's exposé of how the Tyranny-crats essentially scripted what the American People were shown by the gaggle of fools known as the January 6 Committee. Tucker said the fury and outrage demonstrated by the anti-Liberty Left puts on display the fear and panic in the Left because their lies have been exposed.

It's now 2200 PST, and Tucker has just now come on TV for the second airing of the night. I must watch. Gotta go!

Please read my email to the Discover card services CEO and his response, it should clear your mind. Please don't put any stock on what you hear on TV news unless its from OAN.
While the CEO's response seemed positive, it wasn't. Yes, that is only a merchant code and those are defined by ISO. What the CEO did not mention is that Visa and Mastercard gave press releases saying they weren't going to follow ISO's recommendation.

He also made a statement that is not very comforting, "no plans to track purchases of firearms". What he didn't say was what is the merchant code and exactly what does it define, e.g. Sportsman's Warehouse, does the merchant code apply to the entire store or is it just firearms and accessories.

His statement makes me feel as good as NSA only collecting "meta-data" on me. Gee, they don't track firearms purchases but he made 10 purchases from Charlie's tactical supply shop. The first was several hundred dollars and since then several more in the $50-$100 range. He also made a mail order purchase from Surplusammo.com. Don't need much creativity to figure out he probably has a firearm.

I always go to an atm for cash. If I'm buying a gun then private sale with cash is preferred. Buying a gun from a shop is a last resort for me. Regardless of what I'm buying it's always cash.

Regardless of what I'm buying, it's always cash.
You're honking-off the Criminal Left, you know. Boe JiteMe has decided that he needs to know how, who and where you spend every penny. That's what his "digital currency" is, which if implemented, would track every penny you spend. Y'talk about an invasion of privacy! That this senile buffoon supports such a currency tells us exactly to where the Marxocrat Party is headed. Where's the ACLU when we need them batsards? Y'remember in the 1970s when they were suing everything and everybody in sight for invasions of privacy and suppression of Free Speech?

Just a thought: How is Boe JiteMe going to track the money stolen from the cash registers when these "robbery mobs" descend upon a Walgreens and steal the place blind?

In the article, Discover has about 2% of the business. I had a disagreement with them decades ago and have not had their card since. I will admit I do not remember the issue; I just remember I will never own their card again.
I have a similar difficulty with Budget Car Rental. I rented a car in Phoenix and told them I was taking it to Reno. I also told them I would not be returning the vehicle to Phoenix upon the end of my need for the car. I paid the $360-some they wanted, and northward I went. Months and months later, I get a letter from Budget that claims I owe them over $700 for the renting and not returning of the vehicle. We argued through the mails for several months until I'd had my fill of their bullschiff, and paid them the money they claimed I owed. I wrote a letter that left nothing to the imagination regarding where they could insert the rolled-up money I'd paid them. That was way back in Spring 2010, and I've never rented another vehicle from Budget since. They can go fukushima themselves, for all I care...

I use cash almost everywhere, have for some time now. No record of anything. Coarse, our phones track us, as do any newer car. Govt might know I am at gun store, but won't know if I purchased anything.

Gov't might know I am at gun store...
Them batsards can go fukushima themselves. Our government today, under Boe JiteMe, would cause Heinrich Himmler to get in touch with the Senile Buffoon-in-Chief and ask for pointers regarding how to invade/negate the individual privacy of a nation's population. The terrible thing is, Boe would invite Himmler to the White House for a face-to-face... and the Criminal Left Media would report the meeting in their usual, breathless style. You can take it to the bank that the Media would be in full support of what is the reason behind the meeting.

Chucky Bullschumer would have a picture taken of himself with Himmler. Big smiles all around. Eric Swinewell would be in the picture, too.

It's just sickening to see to what low level of respect for the Constitution the pile of fetid dogsqueeze known as the Marxocrat Party has descended. Lenin has to be happy with how far his terroristic ideologies have gone. Mao is grinnin' from ear-to-ear, too...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top