JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have learned over the years after many hundreds of hours perhaps thousands that I get more game and am far more accurate using a heavy barreled rifle. While the extra weight is a factor, IMO I shoot better.
Additionally I use camo tape on most of my rifles as well.
Interestingly enough I have heard and observed most damage to my rifles comes from transport and putting them back into the safe. So I use camo tape on the barrels to avoid scratches and dings on the crowns of my rifles.
At the range because they get a tad mor hot I stand them up vertically to get a chimney effect thusly cooling them off far more quickly.
In addition all of my rifles have a dedicated scope. I never store my scope with my rifle. I use WR bases and rings. In every case they return to 1/2 MOA.
Because a rifle is mostly steel and most scopes are aluminum the coefficient of heat differential does not add to long term storage I have found out.
Because I have been a quality Instructor and a metallurgist I feel that I have some on-site with respect to these issues.
Rifle chambers and barrels can absorb a tremendous amount of heat so with redo to cooling off after a sighting in at the range slower is better then fast!
Chummy effect by cooling off rifle in a vertical position works very well.
The camo tape after years of use does not discolor a rifle barrel. Simply clean and use a good quality CLP and they come back to color. This assumes that you do not have moisture or a corrosive close to your collection of rifles.
I can say that after many many years most of my bang bangs are still pristine.
Happy and safe shooting to all.

IMG_3355.jpeg

I have seen people sighting in heavy barrels with tanks of nitrogen.
Blow from the breach to the barrel end and then let the sit some what elevated in the front. My ranges where I shoot in the Tuscon area will not allow you to have the barrel vertical at any time. Muzzle always down range or they will ask you to leave.

I seriously doubt that even an inclined barrel does much better at heat removal than an level barrel. The hot air has to be replaced by cold air and that is hard when the hole is so small.

I have seen people sighting in heavy barrels with tanks of nitrogen.
Blow from the breach to the barrel end and then let the sit some what elevated in the front. My ranges where I shoot in the Tuscon area will not allow you to have the barrel vertical at any time. Muzzle always down range or they will ask you to leave.

I seriously doubt that even an inclined barrel does much better at heat removal than an level barrel. The hot air has to be replaced by cold air and that is hard when the hole is so small.
Que Stomper....:rolleyes:

Maybe run cool/cold water down the barrel with a small funnel and a short piece of silicone tubing, after which you run a few dry patches down the bore to remove any remaining droplets?

New Resource Reviews

Back Top