JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So as usual, it's a friday night and the wife is giving me strange looks and making noises about going out for coffee while I say "just a minute" and go about reconfiguring my tac vest, my backpack, and all kinds of other stuff and still not being happy with it.

So I'm looking for feedback, what do you put on your tac vest that you use either for practical shooting, eventual BOB use, or anything like it?

What I have as a basis is a Tac Tailor 2-pc MAV with the X-harness, it's a great rig, is comfortable, but I feel like I have a tendency to either overload it, and even then, it still doesn't feel like it carries enough.

So here's what I've got on it:
Hydration carrier - Attached to this is a saw gunners pouch (where I can stuff my lunch) a stick mag pouch for rocket flares, and my IFAK
on the back side of the X-harness there's an attachment that relocates the antenna for my main radio.
On the main body of the mav, I have a TAG 3x2 gear stacker M-16 mag pouch, attached to that is a compass pouch, a pistol mag pouch, and a grenade pouch.
On that same side I have a smoke grenade pouch

On the other side, I have 3 2x1 USGI M-16 mag pouches, and my pistol holster.

The problem I'm having with all this, is the stuff on my back needs to go somewhere else, because this setup is kludgy for working with vehicles (either put the seat all the way back, crush my lunch, and sit uncomfortably, or simply take the stuff off and not carry it) and also prevents the use of a backpack.

I don't know if you have any thoughts, I know I probably carry too much ammo, and this whole rig is a bit bulky to wear over armor, I've been thinking about dropping it in favor of a plate carrier.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really planning to bug out, but it kinda falls under the category of "bug out stuff".

I should get around to taking some pics at some point. However I did get around to finally finding a good work around.

I dropped the bigger 2pc Mav for the Tac-Tailor mini-mav, went from 12 mags down to 4, put a pistol mag stacker on the front (3 pistol mags), with a compass pouch, a radio pouch (on one side of the mags) and a small utility pouch on the other. I went from the somewhat kludgy hydration carrier to a camelbak. All that stuff that was previously on my back is now attached to my backpack (molle II assault pack). Pistol also has moved down to a drop-leg (which I'm not crazy about, but I'll deal).

Reason I don't like drop-legs, back in the days when I first got one (I used to carry my 1911 in it, and I spent most of my time in the desert). However the problem was whenever I took a knee in the soft-sand, guess where sand ended up? You got it, right into the muzzle of my precious kimber. This is less of an issue in the PNW, but it's still a major hassle in the the southwest.

I'm not really planning to bug out, but it kinda falls under the category of "bug out stuff".

I should get around to taking some pics at some point. However I did get around to finally finding a good work around.

I dropped the bigger 2pc Mav for the Tac-Tailor mini-mav, went from 12 mags down to 4, put a pistol mag stacker on the front (3 pistol mags), with a compass pouch, a radio pouch (on one side of the mags) and a small utility pouch on the other. I went from the somewhat kludgy hydration carrier to a camelbak. All that stuff that was previously on my back is now attached to my backpack (molle II assault pack). Pistol also has moved down to a drop-leg (which I'm not crazy about, but I'll deal).

Reason I don't like drop-legs, back in the days when I first got one (I used to carry my 1911 in it, and I spent most of my time in the desert). However the problem was whenever I took a knee in the soft-sand, guess where sand ended up? You got it, right into the muzzle of my precious kimber. This is less of an issue in the PNW, but it's still a major hassle in the the southwest.

I tried drop-legs, but ended up selling them for the reasons you pointed out (and it felt uncomfortable to run in). I settled on a sort of semi-drop leg, using a safariland ubl. It is like a belt holster but moves it down a few inches. Much more stable than a drop leg, and not so far down. I threaded a strap from a drop leg under the holster-loop attachment screws and it keeps it from moving around. It gives me enough drop to clear any gear, but the stability and comfort of a belt holster. If you already have a safariland holster, it's a cheap modification. There are other companies that make a similar mounting option.

• No matter how carefully you pack, a rucksack is always too small.
  • No matter how small, a rucksack is always too heavy.
  • No matter how heavy, a rucksack will never contain what you want.
  • No matter what you need, it's always at the bottom.

Exactly!! agree.gif

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top